JKA
    mtbr member

Mountain biking in Norway

My wife and I will be in Norway for a visit in July. I need some help to find a bike rental and trails that would be fun for us both. My wife isn't too adventurous, so some mellow singletrack or other easy trails would be ideal. We will have time in both Oslo and Bergen to ride. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi,

First and foremost, I`d recommend you visit terrengsykkel.no, if you haven`t already done so; that`s the biggest website for mountain biking in Norway. You`ll probably have no problem finding detailed information there.

Other than that, both cities offer great mountain biking. Oslo might have a better selection of mellower trails, though, as Bergen is located in a more mountaineous part of Norway. As far as rental bikes, I`ve got less info. I know several bike shops keep fleets of demo bikes, such as Sykkelbutikken in Bergen or Bikes and Boards or Sykkeldelisk in Oslo. Rental bikes of a certain quality, however, I`ve no information for you.

Hafjell is a bike park about two hours drive (or by train or bus) from Oslo with rental bikes and arguably the best DH in Norway, as well as rental bikes and a great terrain around the resort where you are free to roam. Might be worth considering.

Have a great trip!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

JKA
    mtbr member
    Thank you. I already found terrengsykkel and got some advice from a few people there. Thanks for the recommendations for Sykkelbutikken and Sykkeldelisk. I hadn't heard of those yet. I don't think we'll be able to get up to Hafjell, but it sounds cool.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    This might come too late, as I just saw this, but you might look into the Rallarvegen, midway between Oslo and Bergen? You can rent pretty decent rides either in Haugastøl or Finse stations and ride to Myrdal or Flåm. It wouldn't satisfy any technical cravings on your part, but it is rough enough, scenic as hell and your wife would love it.

Hotell Finse 1222 - Hotell Finse 1222 - Hotell Finse 1222
    or
    Haugastøl 1000 m.o.h. :: Velkommen
    (English versions at both sites)

I live near Bergen and there really isn't much to recommend in your situation. Not much in the way of rentals, and not much in the way of accessible, flowing single track.

JKA
    mtbr member
    Thank you. We're actually leaving next week. Others had recommended Rallarvegen, but I didn't know about any rentals. I'll definitely look into it.

mtbr member
    An option for you, if you have the time for a day trip while in Bergen, is to simply take the train up to Finse (or Haugastøl for a longer ride), rent bikes, ride to Myrdal station, return the bikes and take the train back to Bergen. Or ride further down to Flåm and figure a way back (boat, bus, car....) My wife and I did that years ago the first time I visited here and it was a blast. If that sounds appealing and I can help you sort out any details, just holler!

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Steve - Not to threadjack, but we're going to be staying at the Fretheim Hotel in Flåm for five nights in early August. We will only have our cyclocross bikes with us and hope they will be fine for the Rallarvegen. Outside of the Rallervegen, are there other roads in the area that would make for a nice 3-5 hour ride?
    Jouko

mtbr member
    No problem! Your bikes will be fine -- I have used fixed or geared cyclocross bikes on all my tours over the Rallarvegen. Just be prepared for some difficulty on the climb up to Myrdal, and then the first part past Vatnahalsen towards Hallingskeid, because of the steep grades and loose rocks and gravel. Other than the latter section, it really is more of a dirt road/double track scenario.

Otherwise, you will find that there is only one other way out of Flåm by bicycle, which is FV243 (Bjørgavegen) climbing out of the east end of the fjord a couple of miles from the village center. This takes you up an incredible switchback climb to a long, scenic section on the plateau and down again to Lærdal, on another arm of the same fjord. You might need a whole day to ride all the way to Lærdal and back, but it would definitely be worth just taking a few hours to ride up to the plateau and back down.

The main highway that goes through Flåm, E16, has long tunnels closed to bikes (for good reason, trust me) on both ends. So does RV50. If you can hitch a ride west through the tunnel towards Voss (or take the ferry to Gudvangen), there is an extensive network of paved and dirt mountain roads to the starting out from the road that heads north away from the Stalheim Hotel, which is only about 20 minutes away from Flåm. I have been eyeing those on Google Earth but haven´t ridden them as yet.

I am at work now, but if you want more details or links to good maps of the area just holler!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Plenty of tracks available, and many very technical just around Oslo- actually no need to travel far from Oslo- since Nordmarka is so close. but look out for the wet and slippery rocks!