mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mountain Biking in the Czech Republic?

I will be in Prague from July 10th through July 28th and would like to mountain bike. I do have a friend who lives in Prague but he does not know anything about mountain biking so I was hoping someone here would be willing to answer a few questions for me. I ride XC 3 to 4 times a week and am looking for intermediate to advance XC singletrack. I am not limiting myself to the Prague area and would be willing to travel anywhere within the Czech Republic. With that said, I have the following questions:

1.) Is there a bike shop in Prague where I can rent a mountain bike and buy trails maps and books about the trails?
    2.) Are there any mountain biking clubs that I could ride with?
    3.) What are the names and locations of some of the better trails to ride around Prague as well as in the Czech Republic?

Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide me with.

ico
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Try bike-forum.cz for more info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Biking in Prague

I live here in Prague and there are several trails for good mountain biking in and around Prague. Check out Prokopske Udoli (near metro stop Jinonice on the C line). There are also several trails around Karlstejn, which is only 30 minutes from Prague by train. As for renting bikes, you can demo some sweet rides from "Krab Cycles" which is a shop facing the Vltava river south of Palackeho Namesti two or three stop by tram. I believe the stop is called Dvorce. Feel free to contact me. It is possible that I'll even be free to show you some of these local trails. It is always nice to help fellow riders. Good Travels...

Rob

chips & bier
    My only experience in the Czec Republic is the area around Spindleruv Mlyn / Harrachov /, against the border with Poland. The hills/mountains go up to about 1000 m / 3000 ft. IIRC, and the trails are great fun with lots of rooty singletrack and an amazing amount of rock gardens,

In fact, in 3 weeks I'm going to make the 1000 km drive to ride there again! :0)

banned
    I'm looking for all the info I can find. I live in Dresden, a relatively short drive from Prague, and would love to check out the trails there.

banned
    Sorry to bump this back up, but any updates on the trip?

Here's us overlooking the Czech republic from the German side of the border:

Riding at the Czech Border

chips & bier
    Sorry, will post a lengthy reply as soon as my wrists are OK (typing is a pain)

banned
    Thanks a bunch. Could be a ticket for me to check out those trails, but I'll probably need a Vignette to go through, no?

chips & bier
    Wow... sorry about the hiddeously late reply.

You'll certainly needa vignette for the Czech Republic if you plan on highway driving. I think they're available at most gast stations before the border.

The week in Spindl was great fun. We stayed in Pension Kraus, which is on the south-west side, on the edge of town. Great riding practically from our door. The weather was excellent too - 20-28 degrees all week with only one thunderstorm.

The rails were rougher than I remembered from past years, although it's all do-able on a hardtail or XC machine. Did have tons of flat tires though - less than 2.5 bar for a 140 lb rider with 2.1" tires is asking for it. We killed a couple of spokes and one rim as well.

The most fun rides are to be had if you buy a topo map of the area. Spindlruv Mlyn is in a river valley, and almost trail up the sides of the valley will cross another fun one going down. I don't know if the trails are maintained (except for the local DH course I suspect not) but the regular volumes of hikers going to the area for over a decade mean there at least a lot to choose from.

Some of the more fun rides we had were to Harrachov, Cerna Hora(?), Bily Labe, and south to Vrchlabi. I took my GPS along a couple of days - if you're interested I can post a link here with some of the tracks. Do yourself a favour and check the map before you leave. We were goofing around on one descent, followed what looked like a fun trail, but ended up on the wrong side of a ridge, riding around the hill in the end.

Prices in the Czech Republic are more than decent, even in a tourist town like Spindl. Beer (pivo) is served in proper 0.5 L glasses and the food in most restaurants there is really good. Labusnik (just north of the bridge in the middle of town), the local Mexican and the wild fowl place about 2 miles upstream of Spindl were the best this time 'round.

Just a couple o' pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    The rails were rougher than I remembered from past years, although it's all do-able on a hardtail or XC machine. Did have tons of flat tires though - less than 2.5 bar for a 140 lb rider with 2.1" tires is asking for it. We killed a couple of spokes and one rim as well.

The most fun rides are to be had if you buy a topo map of the area. Spindlruv Mlyn is in a river valley, and almost trail up the sides of the valley will cross another fun one going down. I don't know if the trails are maintained (except for the local DH course I suspect not) but the regular volumes of hikers going to the area for over a decade mean there at least a lot to choose from.

Some of the more fun rides we had were to Harrachov, Cerna Hora(?), Bily Labe, and south to Vrchlabi. I took my GPS along a couple of days - if you're interested I can post a link here with some of the tracks.
    Sounds good Eric! I am definately interrested in the GPS tracks! and some additional info is also welcome. Maybe you know of some tour-guides. The rouger trails is just the ting I am looking for!

Replies in dutch also okay...

Happy trails
    Gabby

mtbr member
    Looks like fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    We at Rideczech have some awesome trails round us....check us out!

We are in the far east of CZ on the borders with Poland and Slovakia

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Spindleruv Mylen is awesome. Lots of easy to find marked XC/FR trails. Great downhill run. It's a lot of fun.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Hi, are there any DH or Freeride places near Brno by chance? I'm here for 4-6 weeks more and missing some riding time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Brno is pretty flat to be honest...so probably not...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi, if anybody is interested in real allmountain riding on local trails around Prague contact me: mikulashapka on gmail. We ride every weekend for whole year

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    nobody would be disappointed in czech rep. lot of trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice single track park locatend in town "Nove mesto pod smrkem". 85 km lenght is cool enough for everyone i think...

mtbr member
    Hi there!
    I'll live in Prague for about 10 month untill september 18th, and I'll be in search of good trails and some "Biking Friends" to train.
    Looking foward to ride with you

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Check your inbox.