mtbr member
    Feb 2004

living near Brussels

Looking for advice from for places to live near Brussels. If you were going to pick a place to live that was close to Brussels, what would your top choices be? ( say ... an hour train ride or so? ) Want to be able to ride from the door and have other options not too far away.

I got one suggestion of Leuven.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Leuven could be a good place to live. There's a forest of reasonable size south of there, some nice trails in there too.

Brussels itself could be an option! You can actually start riding from the center of town and get into a big forest pretty fast. There's the Zonienwoud south of the city. Fairly big, not many technical trails but hours of riding without mixing it with the cars!! Good to get/stay in shape before getting over to the ardennes for the real deal!

Why are you coming over if I may ask?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Mechelen, Gent, ...

A bit smaller, but still quite close to Brussels. As Leuven it has tons of historical monuments and squares and a pretty atmosphere.

Ghent is my personal favourite but (although lots of Ghent citizens do so) for commuting on a daily base to Brussels it's less interesting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Looking for advice from for places to live near Brussels. If you were going to pick a place to live that was close to Brussels, what would your top choices be? ( say ... an hour train ride or so? ) Want to be able to ride from the door and have other options not too far away.

mechelen is also good actually or maybe you can consider also la hulpe that is in wallonie region of Belgium is only 30 minutes by train

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post

The region of Leuven it is, I only realized how good the biking is around there until I moved...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Belgium is so small anyway. From Brussels in the center it's max 120km to every border (Holland, France, Germany, Luxembourg).
    A suggestion is to also go to region called Ardennes as there are great hilly rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    hey let's ride together in the ardenes..
    we can meet on brussel or liege..