European Member Check In

Printable View

• 02-11-2009
    Jerk_Chicken
    European Member Check In
    I figured just so we get to know one another here, one of these threads could be useful.

This thread can help us find other riders in our area, military bases, or those familiar with the areas.

I'm out in Dresden, but go back and forth monthly to NRW. From the US :thumbsup:
  • 02-11-2009
    Dazed
    Checking in from Sarpsborg, Norway.
  • 02-11-2009
    serfur1
    Northeast Italy, Vicenza to be exact.
  • 02-11-2009
    Jonesy33
    I live in Heidelberg right now, but will soon move to Kaiserslautern.

I'm in the US Army, married with kids, pets etc. etc. I ride mostly 29er, tyhough I do still have a 26er... for the time being. I ride SS, geared fully rigid, full-suspension... whatever, just ride.
  • 02-11-2009
    crisillo
    I am Costa Rican and checking in from Saarbrücken, Germany (about 1 hour away from Kaiserslautern ;) )
  • 02-12-2009
    perttime
    Tampere, Finland.

no mountains here, but lots of forest trails with smaller ups and downs.
    I've been mainly riding SS, recently, but should really take a look at my Big Bike too...
  • 02-12-2009
    -Calvin-
    Norwegian in Vicenza, Italy
  • 02-12-2009
    hbakken
    Checking in from Hokksund (near Oslo), Norway.
  • 02-12-2009
    Corvette
    Slovenia, check.
  • 02-13-2009
    marty_hd
    Riding in and around Heidelberg, Germany on SS 29ers.
  • 02-13-2009
    dropadrop
    Helsinki, southern Finland...
  • 02-14-2009
    cxfahrer
    Leipzig Eastgermany - look here for our local thread.
  • 02-15-2009
    boredwitless
    Lausanne, Switzerland, next to the Alps, Jura...
  • 02-15-2009
    Taylor_Made
    Zaragoza,northeast Spain....close to the Monegros desert.
  • 02-16-2009
    Bomber70
    I check in from Vicenza...and I see that we are at least three checking from here...
  • 02-16-2009
    dbarrett
    I'm American, in Vienna...getting to know the area better by riding in local XC races and various marathons around Austria.
  • 02-16-2009
    Cholopolitan
    Portugal
    Sintra to be more precise.
  • 02-17-2009
    rinseflow
    Pori, Finland checking in.

Nothing resembling a mountain here, not even close, but at least we have small dunes that are frozen solid in the winter.
  • 02-17-2009
    Bomber70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rinseflow
    Pori, Finland checking in.

Nothing resembling a mountain here, not even close, but at least we have small dunes that are frozen solid in the winter.

Hi,
    Do you have up there some MTB race like the "thousand lakes rally"?
  • 02-17-2009
    rinseflow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomber70
    Hi,
    Do you have up there some MTB race like the "thousand lakes rally"?

I'll need to think about that. I don't think anything compares. Definitely nothing that big exists.

Päitsi is the closest thing I can come up with right now, but that's mx not mtb. Hmmm..
  • 02-17-2009
    Bomber70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rinseflow
    I'll need to think about that. I don't think anything compares. Definitely nothing that big exists.

Päitsi is the closest thing I can come up with right now, but that's mx not mtb. Hmmm..

Being yours a country of GREAT drivers, I hope sooner or later a couple of interesting international MTB competitions should come out!

:thumbsup: Paaitsi:thumbsup:
  • 02-17-2009
    rinseflow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomber70
    Being yours a country of GREAT drivers, I hope sooner or later a couple of interesting international MTB competitions should come out!

:thumbsup: Paaitsi:thumbsup:

I sure hope we do get big weekend long MTB events. That'd be awesome.

Some pics from Päitsi last year. If only we had something similar for MTB... damn.
  • 02-17-2009
    perttime
    This may well be the biggest Finnish MTB event:
    http://www.tahkomtb.fi/index?page=5
    an endurance race that some take seriously, some less so. 25, 45, 60, 120 and 180km races. The English and Estonian pages only have contact information...

... I am sick at home today. Let's see if I can translate some samples from the Tahko MTB FAQ...
    1. My neighbor says I'm an awsome rider. Can I take on the 180km distance?

- What the neighbor says doesn't actually prevent you from entering the 180km race. For the Full Distance, you have to write an application stating adequate facts to convince us you can survive such madness. Agreement from your SO (in writing) also has an important role in deciding whether you qualify or not.

2. My friend says that it is impossible to make Tahko MTB on the bike I have. He says I need to buy his old bike.

- Sounds like he needs money for something. Tahko MTB 60km route has been done on 32" monowheel, kickbike, garden variety trekking bikes. One couple did two laps on a rigid tandem (but don't plan to repeat the experience). It is not about the bike. Attitude... you may need an attitude.
  • 02-17-2009
    rinseflow
    Yeah, Tahko is probably the biggest.

Then there's Lohja 24hrs, but that's much easier trails I believe. Never been there so no first hand experience. Riding it solo would still be tough for sure.
  • 02-17-2009
    Sunnmax
    France
    From france for my part,

Paris and Saint Tropez are my loops:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  • 02-18-2009
    x3ro
    Checkin in from Maastricht, Holland. (only piece of Holland with "hills")
  • 02-18-2009
    Solomon76
    An American service member checking in from Stuttgart, Germany.
  • 02-18-2009
    Vlad01
    Slovakia, Central Europe here. Amazing rides throughout whole country ;)
  • 02-20-2009
    Baptiste
    France
  • 02-22-2009
    j.king
    Venlo, The Netherlands

Don't have a bike together yet, I've been spending all winter trying to decide on a 29er or regular 26" wheeled bike...
  • 02-22-2009
    mr so much
    Lancashire in the UK, right next to the Lakes and the peak district. awesome riding round here.

I vacillate between a hardtail hack and a full susser, depends on how pure I'm feeling ;-)
  • 02-22-2009
    zweigelt
    Austria, Vorarlberg. Near the Swiss Border.
  • 02-24-2009
    ratty2k
    Cheshire UK, not far from the Dark Peak, North Wales or the Lake district.
  • 02-25-2009
    zweigelt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ratty2k
    Cheshire UK, not far from the Dark Peak, North Wales or the Lake district.

Snowdonia?
  • 02-26-2009
    Uzzi
    Montreux at the Lac Léman in Switzerland.

Moved here from the Netherlands about 6 years ago don't think I will be able to move back again. All that good mountain biking, snow boarding and skiing right in the back yard.
  • 02-26-2009
    MarkFu
    Herford, NW Gemany.

UK armed forces, i'm out here for a couple of years. The riding here has potential, no huge hills or mountains, but there's rolling heavily forested countryside everywhere. It does however seem very cut up at the moment. I have a lot of exploring to do, as i've not been out much since i've moved in.

Willingen and Winterberg are just over an hour South of here, so i'll be checking them out once the last of the snow has gone.
  • 02-27-2009
    Jerk_Chicken
    Mark,

You'll enjoy both. Too much riding there and not enough time! You gotta budget a lot of time to ride up at Willingen.
  • 02-27-2009
    MarkFu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Mark,

You'll enjoy both. Too much riding there and not enough time! You gotta budget a lot of time to ride up at Willingen.

I have heard a lot of good things about both. It seems that Winterberg is more DH oriented, which may well be my intro to DH.

What's the score with trails at Willingen? Is any of it waymarked? Or is it just a matter of exploring? I've had a look around a few websites and have found a couple of routes to download, but i'm thinking that popping into a bike shop down that way may be the best bet.
  • 02-27-2009
    Jerk_Chicken
    I can't remember what I did last summer, but we got there, parked near the mini FR track by the house, then headed by the path nearby that runs parallel to the mountain. We crossed under the lift, and then continued and even rode on the road a bit. Kept following the markers, then finally got to the up trail, by the little gravity race track. Once up, we rode across to the radio tower, saw some fighter jets do a fly-by, then found the marked dh trail and followed it a bit and rode the course down. This is where the lift brings you up.
  • 03-11-2009
    RJJ
    Checking in from Switzerland (Montreux area)
    R
  • 03-28-2009
    numken
    re:Slovenia
  • 03-31-2009
    MaxAug
    Checking from Italy, Milan zone.
  • 04-01-2009
    Tourgmenthon
    Riding in Girona, Catalonia, betwen France and Spain...where Lance Armstrong and the others riders of US Postal training before Tour de France
  • 04-08-2009
    Archer13
    Czech Republic, Prague
  • 04-08-2009
    Jerk_Chicken
    Any riding in or around Prague? I have headed down for day trips. Beautiful city.
  • 04-08-2009
    Archer13
    Quote:

Any riding in or around Prague? I have headed down for day trips. Beautiful city.

Sure :)

http://www.pbase.com/archer13/prokopak
    http://www.pbase.com/archer13/20070923
    http://www.pbase.com/archer13/kunratice

Those photos are all in Prague or 10-15km around.
  • 04-08-2009
    Jerk_Chicken
    Nice! And where are the good places to eat and what's good to eat? The last time our family went, we didn't have time to eat due to a snowstorm on the way back, so we had to leave early.
  • 04-08-2009
    Archer13
    Quote:

Nice! And where are the good places to eat and what's good to eat? The last time our family went, we didn't have time to eat due to a snowstorm on the way back, so we had to leave early.

Czech cuisine is not so far from the Austrian or German. In the center of Prague you may go ~100m in any direction, and you will find a restaurant :)

My favorite places with traditional cuisine are on the west side of Prague, where I'm living:
    http://www.nafarkane.cz/ (get the "Gulash soup" for the first, it's very good!)
    http://www.pivovarskydvur.cz/ (the local brewery, very good beer!)
  • 04-14-2009
    collideous
    Biel, Switzerland. Mainly singlespeeding the Jura on a 29er.
  • 04-16-2009
    TheUnit
    Amberg, Germany
  • 04-16-2009
    clemson
    born in munich, now living in zurich, switzerland
  • 04-17-2009
    Ripzalot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredwitless
    Lausanne, Switzerland, next to the Alps, Jura...

ORLY? me too. you, me and Uzzi should go for a ride sometime!

paging Swissbuster too...

i ride DH (only) at Portes du Soleil all summer with a few early season trips to Metabief which should be starting pretty soon. send me a PM if you want to ride sometime (this forum doesn't get checked very often).
  • 04-20-2009
    thekiltedskier
    Perth in Scotland. Tons of natural, man made, up, down and along trails as far as the eye can see!
    Gus
  • 04-22-2009
    Uzzi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripzalot
    ORLY? me too. you, me and Uzzi should go for a ride sometime!paging Swissbuster too....

I will ping you guys when the snow is gone from Rochers de Naye. We can then meet up at the Montreux train station and take the train up, then do the descent that leads all the way down to the chateau at the lake.

Would advice to get a CFF demi-tarif beforehand...
  • 04-22-2009
    merijn101
    He Uzzi ru aka Appie?! If so, see u at the PPDS ;-)

ps Dutchy in the flatlands also Euro checkin
  • 04-24-2009
    Ripzalot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Uzzi
    I will ping you guys when the snow is gone from Rochers de Naye. We can then meet up at the Montreux train station and take the train up, then do the descent that leads all the way down to the chateau at the lake.

Would advice to get a CFF demi-tarif beforehand...

Sure! I haven't been there before so maybe it's worth it for the views. I think I can swing 36 chfs for one day.

Also, if interested, Metabief (Jura) opens in a couple of weeks. I'll be doing my pre-season warmups there until PDS opens in June.
  • 04-28-2009
    thomasali
    Live in UK, London right next to Epping Forest. Work in a new bike shop in Wanstead E11 right near the forest...hell yes.
  • 04-29-2009
    EnglishT
    Uk - Gloucestershire (Tewkesbury specifically).

Good place to be - 5-6 miles (depending on which climb) from bredon hill, which is an ok place to ride regularly.
    When people can be persuaded to drive (since I can't), FoD/Cannock arent too far, with Cwmcarn, Afan and Llandegla within 2.5 hours too.
  • 05-10-2009
    keith_mahoney
    Belgium here and loving the VTT's. Check out 02bikers.com for schedules. Some rides only have a couple hundred people some have several thousand and they happen every Sunday and during the summer Fridays and Saturdays too.
  • 05-12-2009
    Feuerlocke
    Austrian living in Germany - Regensburg, Bavaria. That is right between Munich and Nuernberg.
  • 05-14-2009
    richjar
    Currently in Amsterdam!

Mountain biking pretty much on hold at the moment.
    so if anyone drives down to places like Winterberg or Willingen I'm always interested....
  • 05-14-2009
    franza
  • 05-14-2009
    merijn101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by richjar
    Currently in Amsterdam!

Mountain biking pretty much on hold at the moment.
    so if anyone drives down to places like Winterberg or Willingen I'm always interested....

@ richjar
    Plenty of riding to be done in NL. South and East have good forest and very nice single track (ok no mountains off course) few hundred k.of marked trails just around my hometown Eindhoven. Sweet little bikepark just over the Belgium border at Lanklaar (filthytrails). Planning Willingen/Winterberg pretty soon, so will keep u posted
  • 05-15-2009
    eric
    Quote:

Originally Posted by x3ro
    Checkin in from Maastricht, Holland. (only piece of Holland with "hills")

The ones here (Wageningen) are smaller but the marked trails have a lot less tarmac & fire roads! :D
  • 05-18-2009
    gsmolin
    kaiserslautern
    checking in from kaiserslautern, germany; i'm an american living in germany; ride either my titus SB fully or an old SS i built.
  • 05-18-2009
    Thierry C.
    Aix en Provence in south-east of France.
  • 05-22-2009
    Salgomasudo
    Torino,
    North West of Italy
  • 05-22-2009
    Jerk_Chicken
    Got any pics of Torino? I was thinking about heading nearby for a holiday, but wasn't sure of the terrain and elevations.
  • 05-24-2009
    richjar
    thanks for the tips merijn101. just checked out the filthytrails website and it looks pretty good. worth a trip down I think. how would i find some trails around eindhoven?
  • 05-25-2009
    Salgomasudo
    Quote:

Got any pics of Torino? I was thinking about heading nearby for a holiday, but wasn't sure of the terrain and elevations.

Hi
    look this links there are nice spot to ride

www.thegroupmtb.it
    www.savioduminuco.net/mtb
  • 06-24-2009
    maxisbored
    Another from Prague, CZ here!

Kind of wish i wasn't though... It's been raining all June =(
  • 06-24-2009
    mihaibu
    Ploiesti/Campina, Romania
  • 06-25-2009
    The Professor
    An American in Fredrikstad, Norway here.
  • 08-19-2009
    ranier
    I just flew into Stuttgart, Germany today. Currently bikeless till the container with my stuff gets here on the slow boat from CONUS. I hope it aint too long before I get back in the saddle. I've already been on recon for routes through town.
  • 08-22-2009
    SteveT.86
    Im an Australian living in Kitzbühel, Austria.
  • 08-22-2009
    weescott
    Scotsman living in Hertfordshire, England. No good riding round here so go on road trips to Wales a lot and back to NE Scotland for hols. All plans going well; moving to Krknose in Czech Republic later this year.
  • 10-01-2009
    lowr1d3r
    I´m from Burgos, at the north of Spain. About 150 miles from Madrid

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tourgmenthon
    Riding in Girona, Catalonia, betwen France and Spain...where Lance Armstrong and the others riders of US Postal training before Tour de France

Between???? Did you mean inside Spain? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  • 10-02-2009
    t.kyosev
    Hi there, I'm Todor from Plovdiv, Bulgaria and that's my first post here. I usually ride at the local XC trails in the Rhodopi Mountains.
  • 10-08-2009
    Mammutmann
    Also checking in.

From New Zealand, living in Göttingen, Germany and every Weekend in Freiburg, Germany near the swiss/french border.
  • 10-20-2009
    Samos
    Checking in,

from Heimberg, Bern, Switzerland. 5 minutes and I beginn to climb in the Alps...
  • 10-25-2009
    coastkid71
    checking in,,,
    southeast scotland-east lothian.20 miles east of edinburgh.
    ride beaches on i think the only surly pugsley in scotland :)
  • 10-26-2009
    ilmecca72
    Hi from Turin , Italy.
    Ridin' a vassago bandersnatch 29er in the woods and a 26 ss in the city.
  • 11-08-2009
    problematiks
    Tolmin, Slovenia.Sunny side of the Alps.

Marko
  • 02-12-2010
    dblspeed
    Bari, Italy :)
  • 02-12-2010
    Zagremel
    Russia, Moscow :)
  • 02-14-2010
    Danp87
    Sevilla Spain
    Heyo - Heading to Sevilla Spain next week, any riders¿¿
  • 02-18-2010
    awoods
    Guten Tag from Heidelberg
    I got to Heidelberg in late August and am currently building up a sweet 29" Ellsworth Evolve. Plan on doing a bunch of riding both local and in the Alps this summer. Would love to meet other bikers to share the trails with.
    Aaron.
  • 02-20-2010
    arzander
    Brasov, Romania. The snow has melted!!!! I may get to ride tomorrow afternoon:D Of course there is the mud...lots of it!
  • 02-20-2010
    Necrolyte
    Munich, Bavaria..

MOAR BEER!
  • 02-20-2010
    Dex11
    Den Helder, The Netherlands.....biggest hill here is a Dijk !
    We do race on the Beach, its not mountain biking.....but is hard.....:thumbsup:
  • 03-04-2010
    babu
    Mangalia, Romania...no hills there, but there are some hidden, unknown trails where imagination is the limit. However, for the past three years I've been riding Northern NJ and NY trails. Can't wait though for this summer, to hit the trails in the beautiful Carpathians!
  • 03-08-2010
    Decklogic1
    Inverness - Capital of the Highlands - Scotland.

Really spoilt for good trails, I'm slap bang in the middle of loads. Golspie Wildcat, Laggan Wolfrrax, Ft William WC downhill, Moray Monster, Learnie Red Rocks, Strathpeffer, Balnain etc. all within a 1hr 15 drive. :D
  • 03-08-2010
    cyrain
    hi every one,
    I come from france, i live near montpellier wich is in south of france.
    But until july, i'm in heidelberg in germany away from my bike. :madman:
  • 03-08-2010
    Dr Red
    Llandybie, South Wales and in the middle of some great purpose built and natural riding.
  • 04-06-2010
    Jwiz
    American near Heilbronn (wich is near Stuttgart),Germany
  • 04-16-2010
    TonyCannon
    Hello

I'm English but I live near Nice in the South Of France.

Lots of big hills.
  • 04-16-2010
    Mickelino
    Hi! Mike from Stockholm, Sweden. I´m spoiled with a smorgasboard of various singletracks, so if you have plans to visit, check out www.happymtb.org and write a request for a guided tour and you won´t be dissapointed!

Happy trails!
    //Mike
  • 04-17-2010
    mirrored
    One more from Finland. Made in Turku, born in Helsinki, living in Kotka. If this direction continue, I am next in Russia. :)

I have my very first MTB cycle. http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=55
  • 05-05-2010
    The Blue Racer
    Near Würzburg, Bavaria, Germany

Bikespots: Spessart and Rhön

Check:D
  • 05-21-2010
    DonDany21
    Checking ... Timisoara, Romania.