European Member Check In

Printable View

• 02-11-2009
    Jerk_Chicken
    European Member Check In
    I figured just so we get to know one another here, one of these threads could be useful.

This thread can help us find other riders in our area, military bases, or those familiar with the areas.

I'm out in Dresden, but go back and forth monthly to NRW. From the US :thumbsup:
  • 02-11-2009
    Dazed
    Checking in from Sarpsborg, Norway.
  • 02-11-2009
    serfur1
    Northeast Italy, Vicenza to be exact.
  • 02-11-2009
    Jonesy33
    I live in Heidelberg right now, but will soon move to Kaiserslautern.

I'm in the US Army, married with kids, pets etc. etc. I ride mostly 29er, tyhough I do still have a 26er... for the time being. I ride SS, geared fully rigid, full-suspension... whatever, just ride.
  • 02-11-2009
    crisillo
    I am Costa Rican and checking in from Saarbrücken, Germany (about 1 hour away from Kaiserslautern ;) )
  • 02-12-2009
    perttime
    Tampere, Finland.

no mountains here, but lots of forest trails with smaller ups and downs.
    I've been mainly riding SS, recently, but should really take a look at my Big Bike too...
  • 02-12-2009
    -Calvin-
    Norwegian in Vicenza, Italy
  • 02-12-2009
    hbakken
    Checking in from Hokksund (near Oslo), Norway.
  • 02-12-2009
    Corvette
    Slovenia, check.
  • 02-13-2009
    marty_hd
    Riding in and around Heidelberg, Germany on SS 29ers.
  • 02-13-2009
    dropadrop
    Helsinki, southern Finland...
  • 02-14-2009
    cxfahrer
    Leipzig Eastgermany - look here for our local thread.
  • 02-15-2009
    boredwitless
    Lausanne, Switzerland, next to the Alps, Jura...
  • 02-15-2009
    Taylor_Made
    Zaragoza,northeast Spain....close to the Monegros desert.
  • 02-16-2009
    Bomber70
    I check in from Vicenza...and I see that we are at least three checking from here...
  • 02-16-2009
    dbarrett
    I'm American, in Vienna...getting to know the area better by riding in local XC races and various marathons around Austria.
  • 02-16-2009
    Cholopolitan
    Portugal
    Sintra to be more precise.
  • 02-17-2009
    rinseflow
    Pori, Finland checking in.

Nothing resembling a mountain here, not even close, but at least we have small dunes that are frozen solid in the winter.
  • 02-17-2009
    Bomber70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rinseflow
    Pori, Finland checking in.

Nothing resembling a mountain here, not even close, but at least we have small dunes that are frozen solid in the winter.

Hi,
    Do you have up there some MTB race like the "thousand lakes rally"?
  • 02-17-2009
    rinseflow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomber70
    Hi,
    Do you have up there some MTB race like the "thousand lakes rally"?

I'll need to think about that. I don't think anything compares. Definitely nothing that big exists.

Päitsi is the closest thing I can come up with right now, but that's mx not mtb. Hmmm..
  • 02-17-2009
    Bomber70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rinseflow
    I'll need to think about that. I don't think anything compares. Definitely nothing that big exists.

Päitsi is the closest thing I can come up with right now, but that's mx not mtb. Hmmm..

Being yours a country of GREAT drivers, I hope sooner or later a couple of interesting international MTB competitions should come out!

:thumbsup: Paaitsi:thumbsup:
  • 02-17-2009
    rinseflow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomber70
    Being yours a country of GREAT drivers, I hope sooner or later a couple of interesting international MTB competitions should come out!

:thumbsup: Paaitsi:thumbsup:

I sure hope we do get big weekend long MTB events. That'd be awesome.

Some pics from Päitsi last year. If only we had something similar for MTB... damn.
  • 02-17-2009
    perttime
    This may well be the biggest Finnish MTB event:
    http://www.tahkomtb.fi/index?page=5
    an endurance race that some take seriously, some less so. 25, 45, 60, 120 and 180km races. The English and Estonian pages only have contact information...

... I am sick at home today. Let's see if I can translate some samples from the Tahko MTB FAQ...
    1. My neighbor says I'm an awsome rider. Can I take on the 180km distance?

- What the neighbor says doesn't actually prevent you from entering the 180km race. For the Full Distance, you have to write an application stating adequate facts to convince us you can survive such madness. Agreement from your SO (in writing) also has an important role in deciding whether you qualify or not.

2. My friend says that it is impossible to make Tahko MTB on the bike I have. He says I need to buy his old bike.

- Sounds like he needs money for something. Tahko MTB 60km route has been done on 32" monowheel, kickbike, garden variety trekking bikes. One couple did two laps on a rigid tandem (but don't plan to repeat the experience). It is not about the bike. Attitude... you may need an attitude.
  • 02-17-2009
    rinseflow
    Yeah, Tahko is probably the biggest.

Then there's Lohja 24hrs, but that's much easier trails I believe. Never been there so no first hand experience. Riding it solo would still be tough for sure.
  • 02-17-2009
    Sunnmax
    France
    From france for my part,

Paris and Saint Tropez are my loops:thumbsup: :thumbsup: