Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best riding in Germany?

45K views 175 replies 55 participants last post by  GooglieS 
#1 ·
Was wondering where the best mtb trails are in Germany.

I know this is subjective, but I was hoping to get a big selection or responses from people in different areas of riding, from XC to FR and DH.

Pictures are welcome!

#3 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm from ilmenau. that's in the middle of germany. We have very nice hills to ride. For XC are the best conditions, but where are also good spots for Downhill activities. Ilmenau itself has its own DH-Track. here is a link to my homepage:http://mtb-ilmenau.de
In the south of germany, in the german alpes are also very good trails. technical trails, flow-trails and panorama-tours you can find everything where.

#6 ·
There are some

marked trails in the Plazerwald Mountain bike park. They number 1-5 and all are marked and depending of how familiar you are with the forrest you can ride anywhere from 30-80k. Some of it is good, some not so good, some just kind of is there to ride. It is mostly forest road, and fire road mixed in with singletrack. If you need anymore info do a google search for the Pfalzerwald park and there are, I believe, downloadable maps. Not the greatest, but as most of the trails are marked you really don't need much else. Rodalben is "off limits" to bikes, but be nice and friendly, give way to hikers and normally they are happy to see you. If get on the email list you will get notice about the RACC rides. Show up and ride, normally a friendly ride, although depending on who arrives a bit quick. They are no drop, meaning someone will wait at the turns for the last rider so no one gets lost. Hope to see you, Ed

I will try to post when the next ride in on this thread.

#7 ·
scarkinsmel said:
marked trails in the Plazerwald Mountain bike park. They number 1-5 and all are marked and depending of how familiar you are with the forrest you can ride anywhere from 30-80k. Some of it is good, some not so good, some just kind of is there to ride. It is mostly forest road, and fire road mixed in with singletrack. If you need anymore info do a google search for the Pfalzerwald park and there are, I believe, downloadable maps. Not the greatest, but as most of the trails are marked you really don't need much else. Rodalben is "off limits" to bikes, but be nice and friendly, give way to hikers and normally they are happy to see you. If get on the email list you will get notice about the RACC rides. Show up and ride, normally a friendly ride, although depending on who arrives a bit quick. They are no drop, meaning someone will wait at the turns for the last rider so no one gets lost. Hope to see you, Ed

I will try to post when the next ride in on this thread.
Here's the link to the park's site
http://www.mountainbikepark-pfaelzerwald.de/en_index.php

Yeah, I had heard that Rodalben is off limits, but as you say if you are courteous and avoid high traffic (like afternoons on weekends), nobody will complain.

Good tip on the RACC rides.. i will check that out..

Cheers

#9 ·
Just a quick update

For those interested and in the area the Ramstein Area Cycling Club will be meeting on Vogelweh air base 1300 in building 2039. After the meeting there will likely be a short mountain bike ride. The building is behind the bowling alley. Have a good day, Ed

#10 ·
Lots of Bike Parks worth looking at in D-land. Todtnau by Stuttgart has a killer DH course probably the gnarliest ive ever ridden...ever. Winterberg is also definitely something to check out, really nice designed stuff DH, FR, north shore, six cross etc. (opens in 5 weeks!!!!!) Those are the only two i have ridden so far. This summer ill be making the 5 hour drive to Sallbach and Leogang in Austria, im stoked. Oh almost forgot, theres Burg Frankenstein by Darmstadt. Its got some nice FR trails.

#13 ·
Best riding in Germany

Like was said earlier, it is all up to interpretation. I live in Schweinfurt and have riden here and Wuerzburg. Haven't had much time to check out other destinations in the past and transporting the bike was always a pain without a proper rack. There are nice trails in both towns. Towards the end of last year I also went to Steinach (Thuringen), to the Silbersattel Mountain www.silbersattel-bikepark.de/. The people there are friendly and me and my friend were the only two on the mountain when I went, what a blast. It is a new downhill park and I had a blast there. It is scheduled to open on 6 Apr. The lifts are adequate and prices are good. I think it was like 10 euro for three hours or something. It didn't matter because they let us stay there the whole time they were open. I am just getting into DH/FR and it's me new love. There are some pics of Silbersattel on their site, but they ain't that good. Anywho, enough babble, here are some pictures from area's around here.

#19 ·
Um, well, I haven't decided yet. However, it occurred to me that since friday is good friday, the place is probably going to be crawling with hikers and other assorted slow-moving objects. I usually try to hit the F-trail when it's a holiday for me, but not the germans.

#20 ·
if the weather is nice

it will be packed. I think I may be going to Hberg to do a ride with a couple of friends. We will hopefully have a local guide to show us the "hidden" trails. If you have any interest I will post ride time here. I will be heading out to the PflazerWald today to ride trail 2 and maybe parts of 3. I need to get ready for the Kellerwald Marathon, better late than never.

A link to races here in Germany and some other places:
http://www.mountainbike-marathon.com/

Hope it works. Enjoy the day, Ed

#21 ·
Hmm, if you're coming to heidelberg, there's definitely things afoot. A guy I ride with now and then has a buddy coming into town to do a singlespeed tour of H'berg. Say, that's not you is it?

I haven't decided if I'm going along yet, but I'd sure like to find some of that hidden singletrack.

#22 · (Edited)
I believe it would be me

But don't be surprised by my massive lack of fitness. I think Marty has a local guy for a tour through the area around the Castle. Last time I rode there it was far from what I had expected. It is rocky, fast and steep, pretty good riding. Hope you make it out, I think it will pretty mellow, I hope. Ed

Also not sure how "hidden" the trails are, but they are marked hikers only. Last time the hikers seemed to know there would be bikes and were friendly to us on the trails.

#23 ·
There are a couple of sweet sections across the river from the castle, but most of the single track on the Konigstuhl side is unimpressive to me. I don't like riding uphill for an hour to go down for 20 minutes I'm looking for nice rolling terrain like Virginia. The Kellerwald certainly looks promising.

#24 ·
Ist gute fahrrad Pfads in die Westen? Nahe Hamm/Koln/Dusseldorf?

Mein Deutsche ist nicht gute, sorry.
You have the same problem that most americans have with German-Direct translation. The sentence structure is diff. Anyway I live around wuerzburg. I ride the M trai Mainwandernweg. It goes all the way to frankfurt. Real kick ass singletrack. I live in Güntersleben-right on the trail!

#26 ·
Spent today in Bike Park Boppard close to Koblenz. There is only one trail and two dirt lines but the trail has some really nice flow to it. Lots of kickers, drops, and some North shore mixed together. Its free if you dont mind pushing your bike back up the trail (takes about 30 minutes)...if not, the lift costs like 4.50 per run or 20 for a tageskarte. Definitely worth checking out if your in the area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.