Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best riding in Germany?

45K views 175 replies 55 participants last post by  GooglieS 
#1 ·
Was wondering where the best mtb trails are in Germany.

I know this is subjective, but I was hoping to get a big selection or responses from people in different areas of riding, from XC to FR and DH.

Pictures are welcome!

#104 ·
Hi all, very interesting thread. I am moving out to Germany at Christmas, possibly for 3 years. I'm moving to Herford which is just North of Bielefeld on the E34. I see that WIllingen, Winterberg and the Harz are all within an hour or three's drive from my location. My question is does anyone know of anything more local to me? I don't mind driving occasionally to get a fix, but it would be good to know that i have some decent riding on my doorstep.

Cheers in advance all.

#108 ·
Many thanks, that route starts about 2km from where my house will be.

Any recommendations on the type of bike the terrain is best suited to? Most of my riding is currently done on a Gary Fisher Rig 29er singlespeed. I've got a full susser too, but i'm thinking that i should be ok on my hardtail for 99% of the riding around there.

Also, how does the ground hold up in WInter? Where i am now is mainly chalk and clay, which drains quite quickly, but after a lot of prolonged rain it is quite possibly the stickiest and slippiest stuff in the Northern hemisphere.

Apologies for all the questions, but you've all been very helpful so far, so i thought i'd milk it a bit :thumbsup: .

#110 ·
MarkFu said:
Hi all, very interesting thread. I am moving out to Germany at Christmas, possibly for 3 years. I'm moving to Herford which is just North of Bielefeld on the E34. I see that WIllingen, Winterberg and the Harz are all within an hour or three's drive from my location. My question is does anyone know of anything more local to me? I don't mind driving occasionally to get a fix, but it would be good to know that i have some decent riding on my doorstep.

Cheers in advance all.
Mark,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Even though I'm on the other side of the country, I use an LBS in Bielefeld by the name of Radstand:

http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=401688

That's the profile of the owner.

They are bilingual and know their ****. You can check in with those guys about local riding, as well as parts and service. I'm pretty friendly with those guys, but if I wasn't comfortable with their competency I wouldn't recommend or use them.

#111 ·
Hello all, I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm living in Magdeburg and I like biking. I ride a Cannondale Prophet and I use a GIOS steel frame road bike if I want to go fast. I like XC and after a day chairlift riding with a monster downhill bike, I can say I like downhill as well. I've been meaning to get out to the Harz area but I haven't found the time yet. Aside from a small local bike group I don't really know anyone around that rides. Would some one care to elaborate on Harz? I was thinking about taking the train to Wernigerode or Ilsenburg (?) and riding a loop or two in that area (off the Wernigerode tourist site). I'd also like to find a good bike shop. At the moment, I'm looking for a rear shock (200mm, 50mm) for my Prophet and there nothing in town... Also, while I'm at it, is there a Fox service location in the area? I sent them an e-mail when things went south and I haven't heard back yet. Thanks!

Beste Grüßen,
Henry

#113 · (Edited)
henrynh said:
...Harz? I was thinking about taking the train to Wernigerode or Ilsenburg (?) and riding a loop or two in that area (off the Wernigerode tourist site). ..
Beste Grüßen,
Henry
I posted a tour here in the forum ( Europe>Germany>Beerenstieg) that you will probably like (see the pictures earlier in this thread by poohbear).
Get a map ("Harzer Hexenstieg" or similar, 1:25000) and ride from Wernigerode Station to Hasserode and then up to the Hohnekamm mountain ridge. From there are many trails leading down.
Ilsenburg is also a good start. The Ilse-trail is not allowed for bikers (but great...;)) !

Too much to explain here (Pfarrstieg, Beerenstieg, Moorstieg; Eckerlochstieg) and in the Harz always think of riding in a National Park where hiking and biking is only allowed on signed trails!

One of my riding buddies rides a Prophet (now with a Fox36van) and has a Swinger 4-way installed. He bought it in the US and had it tuned by Motopitkan (Austria) - he is very happy with it!

PS: the Thale Downhill track with chairlift is open all year (except for a short period when they repair the lift), fun to ride. Also Hahnenklee near Goslar is a cool little Bikepark. They close in winter.

#114 · (Edited)
For the area around Quedlinburg the best maps can be had at
bergwerk

They are orienteering guys and make the maps themselves.

For Wernigerode I'd second the "Hexenstieg" map. Hasserode and the Hohnekamm is definetely worth a trip! Look for the Plessenburg as a point to navigate around.
I just have one digital pic of the Hohnekamm area - it was darn cold that day.
Winter Freezing Snow Forest Wilderness

And an older one: Some part of the Moorstieg.
Walkway Nature reserve Biome Trail Forest

#116 · (Edited)
Pooh Bear said:
For the area around Quedlinburg the best maps can be had at
bergwerk

They are orienteering guys and make the maps themselves.

For Wernigerode I'd second the "Hexenstieg" map. Hasserode and the Hohnekamm is definetely worth a trip! Look for the Plessenburg as a point to navigate around.
I just have one digital pic of the Hohnekamm area - it was darn cold that day.
View attachment 408397

And an older one: Some part of the Moorstieg.
View attachment 408398
Moorstieg looks a bit different now, new and slippery and with little drops - but still fun to ride.

#117 ·
For those interested, there is a call in the site feedback section for a dedicated "Germany-Austria-Switzerland (including surrounding countries) forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=482447

Several Americans in German-speaking countries and nearby are on board. I threw an addition to the proposal that it can be used, along with the calendar, to help put together events, or keep an eye on races. Additionally, since we can travel freely, we can keep an eye on rides in nearby countries and possibly even help arrange combined rides.

Now another idea was brought forth to make something of a "combined" European section, which could help.

An additional focus could be for those stationed overseas, as well as now-residents of European countries and offering advice and other stuff on processes involved with living here with natives available to help. Deals, good shops, good trails, passion pictures, and anything else can be included.

Voice your support if you're interested!

#119 ·
Thread resurrection!!

So I'm looking to study abroad in Germany in the fall of 2010. Basically the 3 programs I can choose from are located in Pforzheim, Friedrichshafen, and Tubingen.

Curious if any one can tell me about riding in or around those areas?? Any additional non biking information would be helpful as well. Looking forward to any responses!

#120 ·
Eastbaynewb said:
Thread resurrection!!

So I'm looking to study abroad in Germany in the fall of 2010. Basically the 3 programs I can choose from are located in Pforzheim, Friedrichshafen, and Tubingen.

Curious if any one can tell me about riding in or around those areas?? Any additional non biking information would be helpful as well. Looking forward to any responses!
Don't really know these towns vary well but I do know the southwestern part of Germany is an excellent place to ride.

IMO, I would say Friedrichshafen would be the best choice because it's closest to the Alps, if not in the Alps.

Pforzheim on the other hand is right outside of the Pfalzerwald national forest:

http://www.mountainbikepark-pfaelzerwald.de/en_index.php

Hope this helps!!!

#121 ·
Eastbaynewb said:
Thread resurrection!!

You may have taken a look into GE I suppose and sorted out the basic landscape surroundings.

Pforzheim as a town I dont know, but it is not far away from Bad Wildbad Bike Park and the Black Forest. So you should find any kind of mtb riding there.

Tübingen is where I come from (but dont live there anymore), it is a medieval-waterfront-famous poets- many thousands of students- town. I love it still. Biking there in (Spitzberg) and around (Schönbuch) town is good, there are some fine trails, but for longer riding you have to drive to the Schwäbische Alb (20km). Bad Wildbad or the Alps are 1-3 hrs away (with car). There is a very active mtb community.

Friedrichshafen is home of the Eurobike in September but in the rest of the year quite sleepy. You can see the Alps, but they are on the other side of the Bodensee. To get into the Alps it is about 1-2 hr by car, also to Munich. The backcountry there is boring.

#122 ·
Zenkem and cxfahrer, thank you so much for your replies.

Pforzheim seems to be at the top of my list as of now because they offer cheaper dorm rooms and seems to be near so much nature. Friedrichshafen is on a beautiful lake, and a stones throw away from austria and switzerland, but rent is so much more expensive compared to Pforzheim according to the information provided by my school. Tubingen still needs some research on my part.

If any one has some pictures, or links to anything about the trails in any of those cities, or on the cities in general I'd appreciate that.

Regardless of where I choose I guess I have to start learning german! Already signed up for a german class and eager to get started.

#123 · (Edited)
Eastbaynewb said:
--- Tubingen still needs some research on my part.

If any one has some pictures, or links to anything about the trails in any of those cities, or on the cities in general I'd appreciate that.
Put this into translate.google.com :

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tübingen
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pforzheim
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrichshafen

tracks:

https://www.gps-tour.info/en/tracks/112.html (around Tübingen)
and so on...
giyf ;)

forum (yes those folks understand english):

https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94
Stuttgart + Tübingen

https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143
Bodensee Friedrichshafen

https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Black Forest

For Tübingen the trails on the
Spitzberg

you can reach directly from the center riding through/around the castle to
Wurmlinger Kapelle
. Fire roads, small trails with roots, some steep fr-like trails down (stairs, switchbacks) - riding time about 2-3hrs. In the Schönbuch you will find trails leading from near Heuberger Tor to Hohenentringen castle
along the Schönbuch ridge to Herrenberg cemetery (and further on as far as you like on fireroads to Böblingen/ Stuttgart). Rammert is in the south of Tübingen, but I only know the fireroads.

Schwäbische Alb has more steeper hills:

Look into GE for Panoramio fotos and look for places into wikipedia.de (thats what I always do).

Edit: very detailed topographic online map of Tübingen area with gps (mostly hiking) tracks:
https://karte.wanderwalter.de/tuebingen/#m=t&pp=0&tp=0

#124 ·
Cxfahrer, i've been meaning to ask you about the Volksbank arena trails in the Harz, are they any good for technical singletrack? I assume that only the black graded trails would contain anything exciting?

I have been to the Harz twice now, first to Hahnenklee bike park and once on a group ride from Clausthall-Zillertal (sp?), Hahnenklee was a blast and i will be back there again once the winter is over for DH type riding (As well as Schulenberg and Braunlage). If i'm honest though, i was a little disappointed with the XC that we did from Claust-Zill. We seemed to spend most of our time on forest roads, with very little singletrack. I know that the trails are there, as we kept on riding by lots of very interesting looking trails, but we were not the ride leaders, so the choice was not ours to make.

I have looked on Harz-mtb.de and have seen a lot of the routes on there. Would they be more suitable for technical riding?

Many thanks

Mark

#125 · (Edited)
MarkFu said:
Cxfahrer, i've been meaning to ask you about the Volksbank arena trails in the Harz, are they any good for technical singletrack? I assume that only the black graded trails would contain anything exciting?

I have been to the Harz twice now, first to Hahnenklee bike park and once on a group ride from Clausthall-Zillertal (sp?), Hahnenklee was a blast and i will be back there again once the winter is over for DH type riding (As well as Schulenberg and Braunlage). If i'm honest though, i was a little disappointed with the XC that we did from Claust-Zill. We seemed to spend most of our time on forest roads, with very little singletrack. I know that the trails are there, as we kept on riding by lots of very interesting looking trails, but we were not the ride leaders, so the choice was not ours to make.

I have looked on Harz-mtb.de and have seen a lot of the routes on there. Would they be more suitable for technical riding?

Many thanks

Mark
I havent been riding in the Harz since last year christmas. I hope to get there before the snow comes.
I dont know the Volksbank arena or Clausthal-Zellerfeld.

Technical singletrails are:
(remember: most of these trails are in National Park and/or are strictly forbidden for bicycles! The fine for leaving the trails is high (but you probably get away with it if you stay on the trails, and if riding a forbidden trail, stay friendly to hikers and do not offend anybody with your style of riding).

All trails leading down from the Hohnekamm (Leistenklippe), especially Beerenstieg-Ottofels-Steinerne Renne (> trail reviews) or Moorstieg and farther down to Schierke the wonderful Pfarrstieg.
Around Schierke down from Wurmberg (Braunlage Bikepark) you find Mäuseklippen and some more small trails that are fun.
The Eckerlochstieg from the Brockenstrasse to Bahnparallelweg is legendary (for eating derailleurs) and is really fast down to Schierke. Alte Bobbahn is also from Brockenstrasse down to Schierke, and as the name implies is an old bobsled-racetrack. Get your DH bike.
A fine uphill from Schierke is the Sandbrinkstrasse leading to the Dreieckige Pfahl, from there you can go to Torfhaus on the Kaiserweg (big rocks) and from Torfhaus the also legendary Magdeburgerweg:

Near Torfhaus is the Oderteich and the Märchenweg leading down to it and around, quite easy rolliung CC, and the Clausthaler Flutgraben Weg, also easy. The Wolfswarte has two trails leading down, the Butterstieg and the "Wolftrail" which is going from the top down to the beginning of the Magdeburger Weg.
Then you have the Achtermann 31j , the Stieglitzeck 14c, the "TanteJu" leading down from hanskühnenburg to Riefensbeek, the Römkerhall trail (more into Goslar direction at that lake) and that other trail near Goslar i forgot the name of. Also strictly forbidden and great fun is Heinrich-Heine-Weg (Ilsetrail) along the Ilse River down to Ilsenburg.
Did I forget something?
Ah, the Eckergrund trail which is leading from Dreieckiger Pfahl/Goetheweg to the Eckerstausee.
Get youself a good map (Harzer Hexenstieg or so) and grippy fat tires and a raincoat.
Have fun !

BTW, where is Pooh Bear?

#126 ·
That is a wealth of information, thanks very much Cxfahrer. I have 1:50,000 walking mapping of the whole area, i will get some 1:25,000 if i can. The riding on the video looks pretty outstanding, i'm glad i've just bought some flat pedals though!

I am going to try and get over there in the next couple of weeks before the Winter sets in.

I'm not sure i understand your Pooh Bear question? D'oh, i've just realised he's another forum member.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.