Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best riding in Germany?

45K views 175 replies 55 participants last post by  GooglieS 
#1 ·
Was wondering where the best mtb trails are in Germany.

I know this is subjective, but I was hoping to get a big selection or responses from people in different areas of riding, from XC to FR and DH.

Pictures are welcome!

#78 ·
#81 ·
Hey richjar,
i definitely second Winterberg. Even if it doesn't have big elevation changes and isn't too challenging, it's still a very flowy and fun DH track. If you're also into non lift assisted riding, there are plenty of locations with great trails closer than Winterberg. I'm located in Wuppertal (20 km east of Düsseldorf), and as soon as you past Düsseldorf there are tons of hills and forests for riding (check out the map, Winterberg is where the B marker is set).

#83 ·
hi Santino

thanks v much for the info and map. I actually drove down that way a few weeks ago and found some forest but not much biking. I think you really need to know exactly where the best trails are. Is there any way to point me to a few good bits of singletrack?

gratefully received!

#85 ·
Sorry for the late reply, i'm not on mtbr that often. It's tough to say where the best trails are, but something you might wanna check out is the "bike arena sauerland", sauerland being the forest region around towns like winterberg and willingen. They have a lot of designated trails for different skill levels, and both Willingen and Winterberg offer lift assisted riding. Since you have a long trip from Amsterdam this might be right for you; unfortunately they don't have any english information on their site (https://www.bike-arena.de), but here is a flyer that should give you some idea of the area: https://www.bike-arena.de/content/download/13095/228303/version/2/file/bike_flyer_2006-7.pdf

If you are ever in the cologne/düsseldorf region i could definitely point you to some good singletrack since this is where i grew up. The elevation changes aren't very big and neither are the forests, but there is plenty of good riding there. Solingen is a pretty good place to start, with plenty of both technical singeltrack and wide fireroads. Glüder (in Solingen) is pretty easy to find and a good place to start your ride:

If you should ever consider coming there let me know and i get you more detailed info.

#88 ·
Southern Germany: Frankfurt or Munich?

I'll be in Frankfurt (or Munich) the weekend of April 26th and 27th and hoping to hit some XC or DH. Anyone interested in riding Manderscheid, Darmstadt, or anything else? Can you point me to a good bike rental place? Thanks

#92 ·
GargoyleUSMC said:
Moving to Stuttgart in June and want to keep hitting the singletrack. Are there decent places to ride (weekends and for worddays)?
I live south of Stuttgart and there are nice areas to ride.
Quite close is a large forest called "Schoenbuch" south of Boeblingen wich has some trails.
Other excellent and close locations are "Schwaebische Alb" (~ 45 minutes away by car, e.g. near Kirchheim/Teck down to Reutlingen) and the northern Blackforest (e.g. Bad Wildbad has great trails and a bike park with a rocky DH as well).
Hint: there's a local bike forum for that area - people there usually don't post GPS tracks (by law, cyclists are banned from paths/ways with a width < 2m) and detailed descriptions but these locals can show you some good areas/trails.
http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94
Off course its in german but don't hesitate, english should not be a problem.

#93 ·
Awesome!

My sister and brother in law live in Dagersheim,..next to Boblinger. They have a dog and do a lot of walking, but not so much biking. I found some trails myself when I visited for 3 weeks and rode with AFDC a lot, but I love singletrack and downhill. Any of you been to Diablo in New Jersey?

#97 ·
Hufi said:
@ Pooh Bear

nice pictures:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jena: Horizontale!! Does the hiking course 100km arround Jena still exist?
The first picture is near Brocken or Thale?
Jena: It still exists, but you need a good map. It's marked with a red dash if I remember correctly (it's been a while).

The first picture is near Brocken: Eckerloch, I believe (I didn't take this picture, just linked it.)
Second is the Teufelsmauer, near Quedlinburg.

#101 ·
XC riding near Munich?

I thought I would add on here instead of starting a new thread. I am going to be in Munich for a few days for Oktoberfest, and was hoping to do some riding as well. Any good XC singletrack within an hour or so? I have ridden in Garmisch once, but that was mostly doubletrack/fireroads. I'm sure there is better stuff around, I just need help finding it!

Thanks,
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.