Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best riding in Germany?

45K views 175 replies 55 participants last post by  GooglieS 
#1 ·
Was wondering where the best mtb trails are in Germany.

I know this is subjective, but I was hoping to get a big selection or responses from people in different areas of riding, from XC to FR and DH.

Pictures are welcome!

#52 ·
stingray_coach said:
I found Bad Wild Bad...it is only 30 minutes from my house and it looks nice. I havent ridden it yet, but look forward to it. does anyone know if they have some XC stuff there too?
My buddy and I went out to Bad Wildbad when I was stationed in Stuttgart in 01. The MX course is a lot of fun, but I'm not much of a jumper. We did ride several miles of the xc type trails out there. Starting from the cafe at the top of the slalom run there are tons of options for typical german forest road type riding. Careful though, because the trails actually cross the DH and MX courses in a couple of places, so you want to watch for cross traffic.

I've been meaning to get up to L'stuhl for a while now. I want to hit that trail that starts at Gate 3, but never seem to find the time.

#53 ·
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN said:
I'm actually coming out your way the Monday after next. I was thinking about bringing my bike but I'm not sure if it is worth it. Any good trails out there??? If so maybe we can meet up for a ride.
There are a few great trails out here depending on what you like and what skill level you may be at. I have one in mind that has a a good amount of technical sections (nothing crazy) that you can walk if you want or ride it out that is about 20 minutes from Graf.

Definetly bring your bike though. BTW, what are you rdiing?

Later,
Tim

#54 ·
WRX2ning said:
There are a few great trails out here depending on what you like and what skill level you may be at. I have one in mind that has a a good amount of technical sections (nothing crazy) that you can walk if you want or ride it out that is about 20 minutes from Graf.

Definetly bring your bike though. BTW, what are you rdiing?

Later,
Tim
I really enjoy technical rides(roots, rocks, small drops). Any trail like that I would most definitely be down for. I'm riding a Ells Epiphany. I'll send you a PM too

Lata
Ben

#56 ·
arkadi said:
My buddy and I went out to Bad Wildbad when I was stationed in Stuttgart in 01. The MX course is a lot of fun, but I'm not much of a jumper. We did ride several miles of the xc type trails out there. Starting from the cafe at the top of the slalom run there are tons of options for typical german forest road type riding. Careful though, because the trails actually cross the DH and MX courses in a couple of places, so you want to watch for cross traffic.

I've been meaning to get up to L'stuhl for a while now. I want to hit that trail that starts at Gate 3, but never seem to find the time.
Are you still in Germany?

#57 ·
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN said:
I really enjoy technical rides(roots, rocks, small drops). Any trail like that I would most definitely be down for. I'm riding a Ells Epiphany. I'll send you a PM too

Lata
Ben
Hey Ben,
Are you riding with Brian from Minnesota in K-town. Brian works for me, anyhow I am looking for some folks to ride with that are a little more my style. I live in HD now, I have been trying to get the BOMB group to come and ride this great section of trail near Neustadt. It has some of the best downhill I have ridden in Germany, over two miles of it. It has probably 20-30 12-24" drops. :thumbsup: Its probably too much trail for many of the BOMB guys. :nono:

Shoot me a message if you are interested in riding. I ride all through the winter. Mark

#58 ·
I thought i'd revive this blog. I live in gelnhausen, germany. Its in hessen, apr. 30 northeast of frankfurt. Anyways, in the hills around here the riding is great. Mostly dirt roads with single track action. The forrests are really pretty in the spring, summer and fall. Bring rain gear though.
happy trails!
phil

#60 · (Edited)
@ Jerk_Chicken

Dresden is a nice town. There is a lot of pubs, bars etc.:thumbsup:
In this town is a big university. In the south are the saxon sandstone mountains. This is a good area for climbing and also for biking!! The mountains are very close to the town, so you can go directly with the bike there. If you want to find trails there, the best way is to go in a bike shop and ask. There you will find some bike freaks.

Here is a link to a side where you can find a lot of tracks in Germany and Europe.
www.gpsies.com
At the right top corner you can choose the language.

#61 ·
Thanks for the posting. In choosing where to go, I need to balance professional life and recreation well. Luckily, just about every major city has some riding nearby, but if the riding has to be reached by car with the expensive fuel prices, it might not be so nice.

Seems to be a popular region on this forum. Wondering if I should ask for a forum for Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (and neighboring).

Any thoughts? We'd likely have to collect some input first and maintain an events database.

#62 ·
You can try this forum: www.mtb-news.de/forum
Look under sub forum "Sachsen und Vogtland", there you can ask. Dresden is the main city from Saxony(Sachsen).
At this forum you get also info for Austria and Switzerland. Maybe you will find also some fellows for riding together the trails.
In Dresden you can use the tram to reach these mountains, directly from the center. Or you can use the normal train too or with the ship on river Elbe:) But not in winter. The ships are closed. Too less tourists. With the train is not more then 5 stations about 20-30min. But there you can ask the tourist info in Dresden. They will help you to find the right train. The costs are not expensive at the weekend. I think something arround 5,-Euro.

#64 ·
No problem, I know German is not easy!;) Especially if you hear the different dialects.
But you can ask in English. You will get an answer. In this sub forum is not many traffic. It could be possible that you have to wait....

Where are you in Germany? Do you travelling arround and have to work for your company.

#66 ·
arkadi said:
Yes. Well, I'm back again. Now in Heidelberg.

Has anyone ridden out at Sankt Wendel? I'm eyeballing destinations for this spring, and probably the marathon there later in the fall.
I live in Saarbrücken and have ridden a couple of times there...and my buddy Adrian (macadam in mtbr) raced last year's marathon there...

I don't know the trails there..but could go exploring :D

#67 ·
Saber Mountain Bike Team
The Saber Mountain Bike Team meets at 10 a.m. Sundays at the Spangdahlem Air Base visitor's center parking lot for a one or two hour ride. If you have a bike, check it out. Outdoor recreation has a rental fleet of top-notch bikes if you don't have one. For more information, visit http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mountainbikegermany/

#71 ·
Hurray!

It's great to find this thread. My family is from Dagersheim & karlsruhe Germany. I'm visiting for 3-4 weeks from July 22- Aug 24 this summer. I hope to ride with you guys. Now, should I bring my Titus Racer X or my El Guapo?

#72 · (Edited)
Mtnz2Sea said:
It's great to find this thread. My family is from Dagersheim & karlsruhe Germany. I'm visiting for 3-4 weeks from July 22- Aug 24 this summer. I hope to ride with you guys. Now, should I bring my Titus Racer X or my El Guapo?
I'm mostly an XC rider and have only been with this group a short time. Sign up to the yahoo groups (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mountainbikegermany/) and have the other riders chime in...

Attachments

#73 ·
zenkem said:
Saber Mountain Bike Team
The Saber Mountain Bike Team meets at 10 a.m. Sundays at the Spangdahlem Air Base visitor's center parking lot for a one or two hour ride. If you have a bike, check it out. Outdoor recreation has a rental fleet of top-notch bikes if you don't have one. For more information, visit http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mountainbikegermany/
Hey!!! Look what the Saber Bike Team is up to on President's day week end...come join us if you can... :eekster:

PRESIDENT'S HOLIDAY TRAINING RIDES: 13:00 Saturday, Spang Loop Sprint. 10:00 Sunday, casual group ride. 13:00 Monday, 30km Speicher-Kyll-Auw endurance ride. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.