Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For commuting and local riding I prefer gear saguaros, they'll last three times longer than a racing ralph, roll better, are not as prone to flats as the RR's are. They are a bit heavier though, it's a trade off IMO. The tubeless set up is really easy too.

Always Learning
    Long shot question here, but I'm heading to Germany this week to live and work for 4 months (to the end of April). I will be near Stuttgart.

My question is what bike would be best to bring along with me to get some riding in between January 10 and the first day of May? Something for pavement, or if I brought a mountain bike (geared or singlespeed) is anything in the forest even open during this time of year? Are the forest fire roads open or closed to bikes during the winter months?

I've got plenty of warm weather clothing to cycle, so that's not an issue. It's whether or not a road bike or a mountain bike would be the wiser choice to get some training time logged in the mid-January to start of May time frame.

TIA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Long shot question here, but I'm heading to Germany this week to live and work for 4 months (to the end of April). I will be near Stuttgart.

My question is what bike would be best to bring along with me to get some riding in between January 10 and the first day of May? Something for pavement, or if I brought a mountain bike (geared or singlespeed) is anything in the forest even open during this time of year? Are the forest fire roads open or closed to bikes during the winter months?

I've got plenty of warm weather clothing to cycle, so that's not an issue. It's whether or not a road bike or a mountain bike would be the wiser choice to get some training time logged in the mid-January to start of May time frame.

TIA.
    I'm not familiar with the Stuttgart region, I live north of there near Frankfurt but... I ride through the winter with a mtb and cross bike, we don't get much snow here. I usually stay on the paved bike paths, boring maybe but its better than riding on a trainer and there are miles and miles of them. Probably like that in Stuttgart too.
    The forest roads stay open through out the year unless there is logging going on. If we get a lot of snow your best bet would be with a fat bike.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Phil

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_rad View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Stuttgart region, I live north of there near Frankfurt but... I ride through the winter with a mtb and cross bike, we don't get much snow here. I usually stay on the paved bike paths, boring maybe but its better than riding on a trainer and there are miles and miles of them. Probably like that in Stuttgart too.
    The forest roads stay open through out the year unless there is logging going on. If we get a lot of snow your best bet would be with a fat bike.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Phil
    Thanks, Phil. I went with the road bike as I knew it would be muddy for the first couple of months even if I had an opportunity to hit some trails. It's the off season base building plan time anyway, so pounding out the road miles on all the paved bike paths is working thus far.

I got about 6-7 hours in during my first week here, and am heading out today for a 2 hour ride now that I just finished work. I'm sure there will be snow from time to time that will have me inside at a gym doing weights, or cardio until the snow melts. Nevertheless, I'm here to work as the most important thing, ride/train when I can to prepare for the mountain bike race season which for me will begin in May.

BB

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's probably your best bet then. Lots of paved bike paths to get in a solid base.

Have a good one BB!

Phil

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Hi,

first - welcome! I live south of stuttgart and currently the conditions are not too bad to bike, only little snow here. A front tyre with spikes is recommendable.
    In general forests etc. are not closed during winter.
    Just as a remark: there's a cycle track in a village nearby herrenberg, open for training on sunday morning and tuesday evening.

Regards,
    Andi.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7