Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Alpencross 2010

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Kasper 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I'm gonna do an Alpencross again next summer.
Good recommandations for a guided 6 day tour from Austria to Italy would be appreciated. You know the kind with a guide, accomodations, luggage transfer, bus-transfer back to start and so on.

I've travelled with Go-alps.de previously. They were OK but I'd like some more options. English speeking guides is a must. My german zucks! :)

Thanks -Kasper

See less See more
#2 ·
Kasper said:
They were OK but I'd like some more options. English speeking guides is a must. My german zucks! :)
OK, I'll keep this conversation with myself then ;) We booked a trip with JOKO (https://www.joko-mtb.de/) next summer. Has anyone tried them?

Next question - which bike?!
Last time I did it on a 5-Spot and I died on almost every climb -all 10.000 meters of climbing. I'm considering bringing a bike with less travel, I have a 4'' Turner Flux that would come in handy.

What's your thoughts on that? I'll sacrifice descents on behalf of ascent but I'm figuring it's OK since I'll also be closer to 40 than I have ever been before and I'll be even more carefull on the descents.. (Plan B must be to get in shape and bring a 6''er ;) )

6'' vs 5'' vs 4'' .... discuss!

Cheers Kasper

#4 ·
I'd say take the 5-Spot.A travel adjustable fork will help on steep uphills if you want to use up less energy :)
Another option would be the Flux with a 5" fork and some 2.3" tires.That way you can still have a light bike but you won't lose that much on the downhills.

Marko

#5 ·
I prefer my 4" bike on many of those trans-alps like trails. A solid wheelset still keeps bike weight down as you spend a lot more time going up than down. No big-air on a four incher, but lots of fun gliding over small drops and slicing and dicing through rocky sections.

I usually get to the top a lot faster than the big travel guys where I can relax and enjoy the scenery. They don't gain as much on the descent.

G.

#6 ·
Think your Spot is probably one of the best choices for a TA. My better half has a 5 Spot and it is def her weapon of choice for our yearly TA. Light enough (11.2 kg) to climb all mountain passes with ease and the travel and angles to have a load of fun when the trail goes down. I would not swap for anything lighter/faster unless you are planning to win every climb…

Yes those are platform pedals…

Attachments

#8 ·
The thing is that I sold the 5-spot and I dont have that option anymore. I'm just debating over my options here .. Flux or new bike ;)

How about a 4'' fullsus 29-er? What's the advice on that?

Cheers - Kasper

Here's the alpencross-spot for reference -but I'm not using it on this trip

#10 ·
You don't need no stinkin' guide

Get yourself a good book on TransAlp trails, pick a route and do it! There are alway pensions to stay at. A buddy and I did a 7 day trip on our own from St. Anton Austria to Lago di Garda Italy. Up Matrichjoch (sp) was a long day but down...well down was almost 7k ft of desent! Good luck.

#12 ·
Follow-up

So I chose the Flux .. or financial circumstances and a massive tax-bill chose it :)

I went with a 120mm fork and 2.25'' Maxxis Ardent and it worked well. I had a solid and stiff bike for the climbs. On the downhills it was clear that a 4'' bike is a comprimise but I managed most of it and outrode some of the bigger bikes. (Myself kudos myself for technique ;)) When I go next time I think I'd prefer to bring a 5-6 inch bike with an adjustable seat post and have even more fun on the downhills.

We covered 350km while climbing 12.500m and descending 13.500m

:) Kasper

GPS track
Day1 - Day2 - Day3 - Day4 - Day5 - Day6

Videos (available in HD)

Fimberpass

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.