Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Who's racing the Crested Butte Big Mountain Enduro?

Heard any info other than the dates on it? I've registered, just curious if they've got an idea on the race layout. Started training weeks ago for it and expecting it to be an ass kicker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am signed up and anxious to hear any details about the event. Curious how the bike park trails will be, will you have to go "huge" to have a chance at a good time on the stage?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've raced DH there the last 3 years and if they use any of that course, there's one rock drop to a wide wood landing (7-8 feet?) but there's a slower alternate route as well. I'm unaware of anything bigger than that on the mountain. Tricky part about that drop is you're coming out of a hard right, and usually loose turn right into the drop. You've got about 2-3 cranks out of the turn to get you back up to speed to send it. A fun drop and nice landing. Here's a video link of some guys hitting it. aCOS Race MSC Crested Butte 2011 Rock Drop - YouTube

I'm with stupid
    I will be there. That rock drop is not that big a deal just carry speed and ride off it like a small one its well built enough if you have the speed and commit then its smooth. I just cant wait to see how the season unfolds start in angle fire, should be a fun summer!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hitting it actually feels comparable to the Fuzzy Bunny drop at Keystone, now that I think about it.
    I can't wait either, that weekend is going to be awesome!

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I'm signed up for this one. I haven't heard any info yet on the layout but I did read somewhere that there will be easier line options at locations with big jumps and drops...I assume taking the easy lines will hurt your time but that doesn't bother me, I'm not in it to win it just want to finish in the top 50%. Should be a kick ass time!
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

Longing for Spring
    Feb 2012
    I am struggling to believe that they would be using the World Cup DH runs as part of the Enduro series. It doesn't fit the Enduro format very well. I have ridden every trail at Keystone and Winter Park on my 2011 Yeti 575. It's doable but "racing" down those trails on 5 or 6 inch bikes wouldn't make sense. Anyone who has ridden The Whole Enchilada would probably agree that "the notch" and the big drop on UPS are easier than the approach to Even Flow or even sections of Wild Thing.

I guess my point is that I find it hard to believe that the stages leading up to the finals would have more difficult and technical trails than the final itself. My guess is that they will be using some of the Super D formats that are a smathering of blue trails with some of the simple black trails used for connection purposes. I will be riding a 2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc and I expect it will be more than enough for all the trails and features that will be part of the course.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    This will be my first year racing enduros and I'm building a bike for it as we speak. I'm having a hard time deciding on a all mountain/free ride 6 to 7 inch 26" wheel bike or a stumpy evo 29er or something similar?
    Are we only timed on the DH? Is there any pedaling involved at all while on the clock?
    What kid of bikes typically do well at this type of event?
    I am faster on super tech DH on a 26" bike but on something like jacks I'm much faster on a hard tail 29er???...

mtbr member
    Geeze, how do you guys afford the entry fees and time off?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @Waafoo- I'm hoping that something like a 100mm travel 29er will do the trick. I will make sure its built up a little "tougher" than an XC build. Any huge drops and I'll have to take the escape "*****" route but most everything else I've ridden near there this bike has done very well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti303 View Post
    I am struggling to believe that they would be using the World Cup DH runs as part of the Enduro series. It doesn't fit the Enduro format very well. I have ridden every trail at Keystone and Winter Park on my 2011 Yeti 575. It's doable but "racing" down those trails on 5 or 6 inch bikes wouldn't make sense. Anyone who has ridden The Whole Enchilada would probably agree that "the notch" and the big drop on UPS are easier than the approach to Even Flow or even sections of Wild Thing.
    I guess isn't the point of enduro to be techincally challenging and focus on the bike handling more than the endurance and pedaling?
    just going off the rules posted on pink bike: Analysis: Enduro World Series Rules and Regulations - Pinkbike
    and from the enduros I've seen on the web, since I'm not lucky enough to be able to attend these awesome events but I have also rode the trails at keystone on my giant reign and yes you are not as fast as on a sled but totally could run a race down them and it would be totaly fun and fair if everyone is on a 5-6 inch enduro bike... No?

Longing for Spring
    Feb 2012
    Agreed. But they are racing everyone down the same trails. I just don't see them creating an enduro race open to all riders (amateurs, juniors, etc.) and pointing them down a double black trail. Just my opinion. You can test skills on a black course without forcing injuries on people.

bike rider
    I'm in the whole series. I think I'll be racing for aCOS again this year. Bikes will be either a Mojo SL 650 or Genius LTc, depending on the course.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti303 View Post
    Agreed. But they are racing everyone down the same trails. I just don't see them creating an enduro race open to all riders (amateurs, juniors, etc.) and pointing them down a double black trail. Just my opinion. You can test skills on a black course without forcing injuries on people.
    I get what you are saying and that is probably appropriate or maybe it is more appropriate to make two courses but either way sounds like a sweet event!

try and catch me
    Mar 2011

How and where do i sign up / find these events. I'm in San Antonio tx and have been itching to push my skills to the next level. Used to race BMX growing up, but riding a full enduro rig now that I'm in college. I would really like to get into a circuit and tear it up

bike rider
    The closest enduro I know to Texas is round 1 of the BME in Taos, NM. Most are in CO, UT, and OR. If you have any terrain that would be conducive to enduro and if there's already XC racing in your area then contact those race promoters and talk about starting some enduros or super Ds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My lady friend and I are signed up for CB, Keystone, and Moab BME's. I am both very nervous and excited.

So much of this is relative/subjective, and the BME promoters have a broad audience they have to please.

Some of their customers are going to be XC racing nerds with above avg "XC" skills; others are going to be fairly fit downhill racers who are looking for a competitive outlet now that Mountain states Cup folded. A course that pleases the racer on a 100mm 29er with a 71deg Ha and no dropper post is going to probably upset the guy on a 170mm travel lacked out bike, and vice versa. (Example: steamboat enduro last year)

Will I have to get off and walk a short portion of a BME race course? Or at least take a long, lame, ride around? Perhaps.

Lest we forget, these competitions are won by riders not bikes. there are things I can't/won't do on a trek remedy that Nate Hills can probably accomplish on a hardtail.

Also, the technical difficulty of these trails is often related to speed at which you approach them. If you're nervous, uncomfortable, go slower, be smart.

I'm looking forward to pushing myself a bit out of my comfort zone, but of course not too much

mtbr member
    These are definitely not XC terrain, but there are some very fast riders on HT's. In the local Enduros the beginners do not ride some of the courses, for example in the last race they rode courses 1,2 and 4, but not 3.

dwt
    mtbr member

The altitude must be a factor for non local flatlanders. If you can acclimate to altitude pre race, you will be much better off. Either train at a comparable altitude, or arrive a week or two early, learn the trails and a learn to breathe like s local.

"I ride my bike to ride my bike"- Zen proverb

Posted via iPhone
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Who's racing the Crested Butte Big Mountain Enduro?

I'm really curious whether the whole enduro will be raced at the ski resort, or whether there will be a longer backcountry epic stage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I will be in Crested Butte for a wedding that weekend and really want to race. The only issue is that the wedding starts at 3pm on saturday. I would like to get some info on the schedule for saturday to see if it is even possible to finish racing in time for the wedding. Anybody know what time the racing will end on saturday?

bike rider
    I don't knpw.if details have beenreleased yet but the bme website is the place to look and will have contactinfo.
    I got the impression that there will be stages in the backcountry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am going to be racing, driving all the way from Monterrey, México just for this and the Keystone one. Anyone have any ideas what to ride in the in between? And what would be a good city to spend the 4th of July in.

Riding it on a Mojo SL with 150 mm up front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    pretty sure that is says on the BME website that there will be 1 backcountry day and 1 lift served day.

@ Fuentes_88 - the riding is epic around CB. if anyone says its all easy/ buff stuff then they haven't ridin much but the most popular trails. the bike park is getting better, fun jumps, drops and tech, but is lacking in vertical feet. 4th of July is pretty fun there too, its an all day party. There will be a lame (but rowdy) small town parade and then a huge water fight at the end of main street.

I'm signed up for the enduro and anxious to get more beta on the courses. Anyone ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Rumor is that permitting with the Forest Service is running into obstacles. Unless those obstacles are overcome (in the the next month), I suppose the CB (and maybe Keystone) BME's may be forced to take place entirely on the ski resorts property.

Just a rumor. fingers crossed for Brandon's efforts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast