mtbr member

Who rides a weight weenie Enduro bike

From a Race standpoint what are you guys riding. 1x11 carbon bikes with 5-6 inch travel super lite. Anything 23 lbs and under?
    SOCAL'S #1 ENDURANCE MTB EXPERIENCE
    www.12hrsoftemecula.com

mtbr member
    28 lb rig for me. I don't think a 23 lb bike would hold up with the way I like to hit the rocks. You could get through a single race on it, but you would have to watch the tech sections. Hard to do when you are blown out 5 minutes into a run.

Formerly of Kent
    The new Genius 700 is under 25lbs, with 650b wheels. Nothing on that bike is particularly "weight weenie"; everything is just super high end.

Dude, got any schwag?
    My 2013 whip will be a Carbine 27.5, and my calcs tell me it will come in under 25. I believe this will be absolutely as durable as my current Tracer which weighs 28lbs, and stiffer too. If I had the money to burn, it could be 23 lbs without giving up any performance or reliability, but the final few ounces get very expensive. #Oregonenduro
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Search for user gef73, look at his threads. You won't be disappointed.

I'm with stupid
    Nope my5" lite bike is 25 without a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Would love to see some of these builds. I am 28 lbs with a very high end build. Can't imagine how you are getting down that far. My build list is;

Mojo HD
    Fox 36 Float
    Easton Haven Carbon Wheels
    Havoc Carbon Bars
    Full XTR 1x10
    Reverb

Could drop 1/2 lb on the fork and maybe a little in the front tire which is a Hans Dampf, but that won't get me below 27 lbs. I did have a pinner build before with my bike right at 27 lbs, but that was no dropper, carbon post and 550 gram tires. Curious what I am missing.

I'm with stupid
    Mine build,

2009 Cannondale Rize, 140mm revelation air
    Full XO build expect XX rear cassette, ceramic bottom bracket
    Haven carbon bars, carbon post, WTB silverado saddle
    Crossmax ST wheels,tubeless, 2.25 racing ralph rear 2.4 Rocket ron front.
    25.2 lbs

Here it is with a XT front wheel Crossmax ST rear and purgatory 2.3s and a reveb but all else is the same as the Light weight build specs. 26.5lbs in pic
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Last edited by hitechredneck; 12-22-2012 at 10:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm at 25.6 lbs and Im considering some carbon wheels that should get me just under 25 lbs.

2013 Stumpjumper Evo carbon 26"
    Fox Float 34
    xx1 drivetrain
    Command post

It is fairly light but very strong and stiff. I could get lighter with a Fox 32 or a Revelation fork, a carbon seat post instead of a dropper, light race tires and a few other changes. I bet i could get into the 23 lb range, but that would defeat the entire reason for my build! Id be scared to break it and Id definitely be slower on the descent.

Last season I raced on a 28lb, 6" bike and did pretty good, so I hope I can up my game with a lighter, stiffer bike.
    Last edited by Mr. Lynch; 12-25-2012 at 10:11 PM.

No known cure
    27-28 pounds depending on tires, with coil n oil front and rear, dropper post, Ti bolts in everything that's threaded.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Ok, now i see it is mainly the tires and forks that are making up the difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's the rub. I can't see enduro really being the place you want to skimp on your tires. You just give up too much performance and durability to be worthwhile.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can I borrow some of your scales to weigh my bike?

think
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Ok, now i see it is mainly the tires and forks that are making up the difference.
    My Nomad Cabon has some pretty decent crap on it, and even if I were to strip it down to a full on pinner build I doubt I'd get below mid 27's with a race-worthy tire on it. I can't see being too much under that without a very minimalist build. Many of these guys are running some sketchy enduro race bikes. Their stuff is lighter than almost all of the east coast Pro/Open field.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My Stumpy is 25.5 lbs.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    That's the rub. I can't see enduro really being the place you want to skimp on your tires. You just give up too much performance and durability to be worthwhile.
    IIRC, Mark Weir was running really light wheels/rims, and heavy duty tires at Downieville last year...and probably most enduro events.
    Crashing because you lose grip or flatting is costing way more time than you are gaining by running tires that save a 100+ grams.
    For XC, where it is won or lost on the climbs, it may be worth the gamble. For Enduro, it is not.
    IMHO.

mtbr member
    In a race last year one of the favorites was riding lightweight XC tires and crush the field on stage 1, but on stage 2, which was a rocky, rough descent he got a flat and lost 9 minutes which pretty much ruined his chances for a top spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    My Nomad Cabon has some pretty decent crap on it, and even if I were to strip it down to a full on pinner build I doubt I'd get below mid 27's with a race-worthy tire on it. I can't see being too much under that without a very minimalist build. Many of these guys are running some sketchy enduro race bikes. Their stuff is lighter than almost all of the east coast Pro/Open field.
    I am right with you. I am 28.9 with carbon/XTR everything and 1x10 on my HD. I am running a 36 fork which is .5 lbs, but I can't see a 26 lb build without stuff starting to disintegrate I think a lot of people are running much smoother courses than what we see in Socal or the Enchilada Enduro.

Formerly of Kent
    Maybe it's just me, but a 36 on a 150mm travel bike seems excessive.

And, maybe my experience with Super Ds, and watching Euro Enduro races is different than the enduro racing in the US, but I'd imagine a 25lb bike would slay all comers.

2.35 Snakeskin Schwalbe tires, AM-width carbon rims on DT 240s and DT Revs, XO 1x10, carbon frame, carbon bars.

mtbr member
    I agree if you are running a 150 bike that a 34 would be a better combo. With an HD or a Nomad the 34 even in 160 mode will throw off the geometry since it is shorter than the 36. In addition Ibis has stated that in testing the HD is no faster climbing in 140 mode than 160 so why even bother?

The courses in Socal are definitely getting steeper and much more technical. I think this trend will continue and there will be a divergence in Beginner/Sport courses and Expert/Pro very soon.

mtbr member
    Who rides a weight weenie Enduro bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357667949.157146.jpg
    2012 stumpy evo with xx1 and 34 160mm float. Going to strip her and put it all on sworks enduro frame. If anybody is I retested in this stumpy evo frame let me know and ill send better pics. Also have factory float 150mm 32 fork for frame I had bought first.

Jonesy