mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Wheelset for Enduro?

I have been looking around for some good wheels for my Enduro that I have just started to build, and was wondering what opinions people have on what wheelset is the best for Enduro. Any suggestions? (tubeless would be preferable)

Oh and I am going to be running Sram XX1 eventually, but I am sure that hubs will be available for just about all wheelsets by the time I get that far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hard to argue against hope/flows.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Wheelset for Enduro?

I use dt240 laced to arch ex. I weigh 160lbs. Heavier dudes may want flows.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Wheelset for Enduro?

Running WTB i23. Been pretty durable and light so far

I'm with stupid
    I run crossmax ST weigh 180 and until I break them I dont need to run any beefier. I do have a full blown set of DH wheels for my sanction for when I go hit winterpark and sol vista all day, but that is full blown DHing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks! I think I am going to go with the Hope/Flows!

mtbr member
    Another vote for hope/flows. I've been running my Hope Pro 2 Evo straight pulls and ZTR Flow rims for a year and a half with no need for any truing. I've got them set up tubeless no problem. Very light but stiff as well. The new Hope Hoops wheels are spec'd with the Flow EX so they should be a tad stiffer and a little wider for an even bigger tire profile. Can't beat them for the price!

mtbr member
    Nice think about the Hope Evo 2 is they have the new drop in XX1 freehub.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Nice think about the Hope Evo 2 is they have the new drop in XX1 freehub.
    Do you know if the drop in XX1 freehub is going to allow for a 12mm threw axle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dim5bck View Post
    I'm sure it's got to, but I have not tried it yet.
    Bend, Oregon

Mr. Knowitall

Wheelset for Enduro?

Syntace W35 MX!!

mtbr member
    Yes I have it on my bike

mtbr member
    Thanks! I think I am going to go with the Hope/Flows!
    I would definitely go Flow Ex over standard Flows as they are even stiffer/wider, better seal with minimal weight gain. Definitely worth in my opinion as I noticed a difference on an Enduro race last year after I switched over, espeically on trails that are pretty loose and rough. Flow EX/Hopes for the win!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got a set of hope/flow ex for my enduro racer and so far I like them even more than standard flows. I can really tell a difference in stiffness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Arch EX 29er with Chris King hubs. Straight gauge spokes and brass nipples on the rear, DB and aluminum on the front.

mtbr member
    For me I'm running 521's, DB spokes laced to Canfield's Microdrive hub for the rear and a Hope 20mm front.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member

Re: Wheelset for Enduro?

I really like Sunringle. I have MTX33s on my Santa Cruz, and they are about as burly as you can get.

My next set will be the Inferno 29s to save some weight, and gonna try my hand at building my own.

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    +1 fro sun ringle

I run a pair of sun ringle chargers Pros and I've had great results. For the price, in my opinion, you can't beat them. Easy interchangeable axles are awesome by the way.

I'm planning on running a pair of Charger Pro SLs this season. We'll see how they do.

I hope that Sun Ringle gets on the ball and comes out with a XX1 driver here soon as the parts are already in the mail!
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    If you have the money Haven Carbons. Can find a set used for around $1K and new for $1600. I have yet to see a broken rim unlike Enve, Rovals, etc and you will not find a lighter setup. If you believe the noise about the rear hub you can replace it with a White Ind MI6.

try and catch me
    Mar 2011

Wheelset for Enduro?

Wheelset for Enduro?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362459141.954273.jpg Wheelset for Enduro?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362459152.653642.jpg

Recently got these SPANK Tweet 28 rims. They are super solid, and light. Love them, not to mention they look cool

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you're going the custom route, Hope Flow Evo Pro2 (or whatever the order of the name is!) with whatever rim you like. Just building up a set of these now and can't wait to rock them. All my buddies have ridden Hope hubs and for the money you really can't go wrong.
    If you're going with a stock wheelset, Crossmax SX are pretty dope. I have a pair and they're absolutely bombproof. Raced downhill on them last year and haven't touched them once (other than making sure the hubs were tight. The only complaint I have (other than the hubs coming loose every now and then) is that they have so many adaptor options I find that the rear wheel has the slightest bit of play laterally. Not a lot and not a big deal.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    yeap agree hope pro2's are some great hubs for the money. they are light and strong and can pretty much take ever standard under the sun. if you are looking a bit nicer hub you can go with Hadley hubs. they are going to be having a XX1 freehub coming out soon as well!

As for rims I would suggest WTB i23s as well. they have been a great for me for just over a year now. for a reference I weight in at 260 lbs and ride fairly hard and they have been true the whole time. also they were the easiest rim I have EVER built up which speaks loads about the quality of the rim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Front,Chub Hub with EX Flows,Rear DT Swiss 350 with 36 Star Ratchet upgrade kit,you can buy this hub cheep and only slightly heavier then 240 and stronger,ratchet kit about 20.00 shipped easy to install.

I had amazing results with Stans Flow rims even at DH speeds,jumps,drops and gnarly rock gardens can really suck it up,had no flat spots but did have a couple of dings on rim sides but easy to straighten out.so far the EX version is holding it's own!

mtbr member
    how about I9 enduro wheelset, light, strong and awesome engagement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Abit pricy, but EX1750 is a very good wheelset. I even use it for Downhill and I`m 85kg.