mtbr member
    Mar 2009

What are you doing for winter training?

It's going to be difficult to get much riding in from here on out through the winter here. Already had a couple snowstorms. May look into a trainer as boring as that will be.
    I just started James Wilson's MTB Kettlebell workout and will be adding Crossfit classes into that mix. I felt sluggish in the races this year and developed back pain on some of the longer stages. Lesson learned this year that overall fitness plays as much, if not more of a part in these races as technical bike skills.
    Anyone else struggle this season and what are you going to do about it this winter?

Laramie, Wyoming
    Ride.
    Photo taken last week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Ride.
    Photo taken last week.
    Damn, wish I had one. It's on the wish list for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

What are you doing for winter training?

Last winter was the first time I have ever done any form of training for mountain biking. Just riding has always been my training but felt I had sort of plateaued and really started having a lot of pesky aches or tight spots from neglecting to balance the riding. Just did a few XC races last year for fun. I simply enjoy pushing my own limits and having more fun and flow on the trail. So I wouldn't say I'm a serious racer but I do enjoy it. Mostly interested in doing enduro racing but being in the flat Midwest makes it hard. So XC races and rocky, tech trails are my training for travel. Just recently got back from my first enduro race (BME Moab) and had a blast! Wish I would have stuck with my training during the summer...

Anyway, last year I picked up James' Kettle bell program and actually managed to stick with it consistently all the way thru (had a few weeks here and the that I was sick or just dropped the ball but consistent for the most part). Just made sure I got in 3 days per week, sometimes 4 from about November thru march. I can tell you without a doubt this made a huge difference on the trail. Not only does it make riding more fun but you will also feel much stronger in little ways that you never knew about, ways that make you feel like the bike is lighter and you have total control. Also much better mobility and functional strength which translates into skills improvement (think balance, cornering, hops, drops, steep climbs) without even practicing on the bike. Then there is the strength and power. Pretty much amazed myself with how much stronger I felt standing and rocking 1x9. Also, the injury prevention and resistance to overall body fatigue (specific endurance) is amazing. Being able to feel fresh the day after riding a trail that always used to break me down just feels amazing. Definitely not trying to sound like I'm the fastest guy on the trail as these improvements are all relative to where I started. However, I did go from winning my first couple Cat 3 races to winning or podium in Cat 2 with a 29lb rumblefish (not exactly a race bike but good enough). And this is all without any form of traditional cardio "base training" as my longest ride was actually one of my first races (32 miles, half at night). Also, flat pedals rock and turn heads when you win XC races against decked out racer dudes (on certain extra rough trails, I can't hang with them on the more pedal intensive flat stuff...yet).

At the same time as the KB training I was convinced by my girlfriend to try yoga and ended up really seeing the benefits, both physically and mentally. So I was also doing that 1-3 times per week during the dark, cold months, making friends and having a lot of fun actually!

I intend to do the same thing this winter and really focus on improving my form on the mat. Just want to keep it simple so that i can fine tune everything and build on last year. This plus some of James' ESD workouts (mostly interval type training) to build a better foundation for my cardio/more pedally XC race efforts. This is just my experience so far FWIW and by no means am I trying to preach. Just wanted to verify that something as simple as those KB workouts and yoga really can make a huge difference. As always, consistency is key.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Will be riding as usual with more clothing. I don't mind the cold but don't like the shorter daylight hours. Would love a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Last two winters I've ridden outside. A lot. 8-18hrs per week, most weeks being the 10-12hr variety. Last two winters I've done lots of squats, deadlifts, and lunges. That was focusing mostly on 4-6hr long "xc" races. This year I'll do the same but add pull ups, push ups, and shoulder presses to the mix. I've done kettlebell swings, probably time to add that back into the mix. I might spend less endurance time on the bike, and add in more explosive workouts and definitely more upper body training.

Arm pump and shoulder strength was probably my biggest weakness in enduro racing this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
    It's going to be difficult to get much riding in from here on out through the winter here. Already had a couple snowstorms. May look into a trainer as boring as that will be.
    I just started James Wilson's MTB Kettlebell workout and will be adding Crossfit classes into that mix. I felt sluggish in the races this year and developed back pain on some of the longer stages. Lesson learned this year that overall fitness plays as much, if not more of a part in these races as technical bike skills.
    Anyone else struggle this season and what are you going to do about it this winter?
    So I dont race enduro but do endurace racing, anything from 5 hours to 100miler (just once). Similar thing for me where on my normal training rides of 6 hours core and back were fine, even training rides in the mtns of 50-60 miles back fine. When I get into real technical riding and stepp hike a bike my lowere back and core were limiting me.

I jsut started the Kettlebell workout and will do 8 weeks worth, 3 days a week trying to get at least 4-5 hours riding in for first four weeks than really ramp after that, will need to figure out how to balance my base with the Kettlebell workouts those 4 weeks.

Good to hear some real proven results with this and see others are trying.

What did you all do during prome riding/racing months anything with the keetlebell?
    How did you feel after the first week, after first two workouts my lower back is sore rest of my body tight slighlty sore but in a good sort of way, Doing my best to keep form so to not put stres on bones, joints where it shouldnt be. When did your bodies start to adjust ot the workout?

Dont get me wrong so far so good and I am confident this is going to work, just wanted to see what others experiece is/was?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!