Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What tires are you using for Enduro?

10K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  Ksipes 
#1 ·
I've been running the Maxxis DHF 3c Evo both front and rear. I'd really like to run tubeless which the 3c's aren't designed for. I am planning on trying out the bontrager XR4 team issue as well which are tubeless ready. What are you running?

#4 ·
DHF EXO supertacky is also really good front tire, tubeless with sealant. Haven't tried that on rear yet...

Another really good one is Ardent EXO 2.4" with 60a compound, great all rounder front and rear, rolls better than ST minion...

From Continental Baron 2.3" with black chili would be really good if it would be some day available as UST version, the normal version tends to wear on the sidewalls very fast. Super nice grip on all kind of terrain from mud to loose over hardpack, for hard packed there are better options... Rubber queen/trail king, with black chili compound of course, is also good one but need to be UST also, sidewalls weak on these too...

#12 ·
As per what conditions? I have raced in conditions where DHF's were the order of the day for sure.

I'm still on 2.5 Minion single ply folding EXO's from Mountain Creek and Highland, but ran Burke in between which they were terrible for :rolleyes: I was using 2.25 Ardents for events such as Burke earlier in the year, but the rate I was wearing them out (specifically the side knobs - the center knobs would be mint and the side knobs burnt) became absurd. I also used a set of Maxxis Ikons in 2.25 with EXO for XC work, which I was reasonably happy with. This off season I'm going to try out the Mountain King II in 2.4 in an attempt to replace the Ardent with something that will last more than five hard corners.

#7 ·
I'm running Conti Trail King's 2.4 front/2.2 rear tubeless with Stan's and that's been great all year. Super burly and work great on a variety of conditions, especially dry/loose. To Salespunk's point, I am going to try the Conti Mountain King 2.4 front/x-King 2.4 in protection casing this next year set up tubeless to have a much faster rolling rear but still maintain the front traction and cornering.

#10 ·
Im running the Minion 3c EXO front tubless and a 2.2 Conti Trailking in the rear. Both work well and the minion holds longer for a great rear wheel drift.

On more "trail" course that are not alpine and rocky and chunky I like the weirwolf tcs tube less front and the wolverine in the rear. Rolls silly fast and drifts and grips great.

The tride and true nevegal is a great front tire once you cut every other transition knob off, but as a rear it is super slow and unless your running the UST is pinch flats easy or tears the side wall.

#11 ·
I've actually running both those tires tubeless.

I didn't have any probably setting up the Minnion tires tubeless. I've been happy with both tires. The minnion tires with evo casing, have a beffier sidewall, and they are heavier. I managed to pinch a bead on the bontrager tire. I also dented the rim at the same time. It was a pretty hard hit.

For as light as casing as the Bontrager's having, I was surprised I didn't have more leaks, or cuts. I was also happy with the tires in general. The bontrager's are different than the Minnion's. They have more transition knobs, and drift differently. I'm really impressed by how much traction I've gotten out of those tires. I was riding in mostly dry conditions with them. The minnions will have an area where they break loose and then the side knobs will catch.

#15 ·
I mounted up the XR4's tubeless and took them on a good ride today at Heil Ranch outside of Boulder. I was impressed with the rolling speed and the weight seems hard to beat. I'll mount up the minions tubeless when the resorts open back up. The minions cost too much to be trashing in the off season.

#16 ·
I was impressed with the XR4 on couple of bikes I rode at interbike last year. They had nice volume, seemed to roll pretty well and gripped in the dry loose bootleg conditions. Good to hear some additional thoughts from someone with more time on them.

How much did you pay them? Let us know how they hold up as you get more miles on.

#17 ·
I was able to get the XR4's for $45.50 a piece at the Trek Store Black Friday sale. After this mornings ride I can say with confidence they grip well in the dry and loose and the sidewalls can endure sharp rocks. I'm pleasantly surprised.

#20 ·
Been running the Ardent 2.4 exo up front and WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 (reverse) out back. The Ardent stick wherever I point it and the LT is a fast roller. The package almost feels like a 650b.

#21 ·
Anyone have experience with the Schwalbes?
I've been on both the Racing Ralphs and Rocket Rons in 2.4 and loving them for AM trail stuff.
Way lighter than I imagine tires this size could be and still hold up.
They might be a little too anorexic for sharp rocky courses but for pedally, trail-ish stuff, a RoRo 2.4 front mated to a RaRa 2.25 rear is a killer combo.

#22 ·
I've found the Speci 2blissready to be OK but thinner than some other sidewalls. The Ground Control has a very round profile. The S-Works version has SUPER thin sidewalls - I'm running a 2.3. It isn't huge volume but fast rolling and pretty grippy. Not really a great tire for hardpack but works well enough.

As for the Continentals, my experience with Protection versions is that the casings are a bit smaller than their Apex or UST casings. That being said, the Apex casing is super burly and feels much heavier/thicker than the protection versions. Trail Kings in 2.4 with apex is a great all-rounder in my experience.

#23 ·
Schwalbe Hans Dampf here.
Mine are the Performance version,bought very cheap online (19 euros,bike-discount.de).
Great grip,rolls fast and doesn't weight a ton (715 and 762gr).
Set up tubeless on Bontrager Rythmn wheels,with NoTubes sealant.

Can't use super low pressures on the back wheel,as the tire folds a litlle and sends me off my line,but otherwise these are some of the best tires I've used.

#25 ·
I found the limitations of the XR4 today. Mud. It snowed here today and I went for a ride anyway. The snow didn't stick but it was enough to moisten the dirt over dusty hardpack. The little bit of mud quickly clogged up the tires. I'm still lovin' the tires but they didn't like today's conditions.

Salespunk - Where are you riding?

#28 ·
- Tubeless Trail King 2.4 Protection Front and 2.2 UST Rear when wet and muddy

- Tubeless Trail King 2.2 UST Front and Rear rest of the season for most soil types and conditions. No issues with the side walls, burping, slices, or other failures. Not as light or fast as a race king, but the tire never fails and sticks to the trail.

- Tubeless MTB Weirwolf 2.4 UST for decomposed granite. Not as tough as the TR (i.e. it is easier to slice) but its like velcro on DG.

The Conti TK 2.2 volume wise is more like a 2.3 as is the Weirwolf 2.4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.