mtbr member

What Kind of Bike for Enduro Racing?

I was thinking of trying my hand at enduro racing. I have done some practice runs with my old 26" 2006 Stumpjumper Pro, but am thinking I may want to actually race.

Do any of you have any recommendations? Do people ride 26'ers, 29'ers, or 27.5'ers.

Do any of you have any recommendations as to a make or model?

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    there is a ton of info on the main page mtbr.com right now they are reviewing a bunch of enduro bikes. Too much info to answer on this board

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ride whatever bike and wheel size is the most fun for you. Generally all of the "all mountain" bikes are great. Something with 130-160mm suspension F/R will do you right.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice Jesse. I read your blog and see you prefer the Bronson over the 29'er. But as you say, that is You. I've got to find out what I like.

This post was just to get Enduro racers to say what they ride ... and why. Your blog really got me thinking about staying with smaller wheels.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe@MBD.com View Post
    Thanks for the advice Jesse. I read your blog and see you prefer the Bronson over the 29'er. But as you say, that is You. I've got to find out what I like.

This post was just to get Enduro racers to say what they ride ... and why. Your blog really got me thinking about staying with smaller wheels.

Thanks again.
    Depends on where you are planning to race. Out west the enduro races seem a bit more gravity focused than out east. I have done a few out east on a specialized evo stumpy 29er. It had a few pros and cons. It was blazing fast on wide open gravity runs like stage 3 at mtn creek but for tight techy runs like (stage 1 at mtn creek) it sucked. If you go with a 29er plan on buying a stiff carbon wheelset for it. The wheels are a bit to flexy for the speed you are going to be putting into bermed corners. I since have sold my 29er and have a giant trance 27.5 advanced sx on order. Everyone has their preference of bike company (boutique vs mainstream). I went with a decent bike with good customer support from a LBS I trust. Unless your super savy with fixing shocks and other issues with components you will need a good LBS racing enduro (your bound to break things). Honestly I feel the 27.5 is the way to go for enduro racing. If you were doing xc i would say 29er but enduro has some tight steep techy portions of the race where the 29er fails. Maybe I just drank the 27.5 coolaid who knows but I do know there were a lot of 27.5 and a few 29ers at the east coast enduros with very few 26ers. There are tons of great 27.5's out there but be prepared to spend a lot, hard to find a good mtn bike cheap these days. Best of luck and have fun thats what it is all about!!

mtbr member
    Hey Shred MX,

Thanks for taking the time to share all that information. You have taught me a lot.

mtbr member
    27.5 wheels are the way to go since courses vary so greatly its best to have a bike that can take on anything fairly well.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mt. Tam. I have heard that quite a bit. I have been riding Specialized but (which I like) but I may have to switch since they don't make a 27.5. yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe@MBD.com View Post
    Thanks Mt. Tam. I have heard that quite a bit. I have been riding Specialized but (which I like) but I may have to switch since they don't make a 27.5. yet.
    You could always hold off and see if Specialized decide to release a 27.5 next season. The have something being designed, but whether or not they go ahead with production is another story.

mtbr member
    I ride a giant reign... I'm switching it to a 650b..... If I were starting over I would go with a 650 in a more trail like set up..... NorCal sight looks cool... As well as the Bronson and the trance..... But I have only raced one time.... I will be racing a lot more now though.. I'm hooked.

mtbr member
    I agree on the 27.5... And am waiting on a Jekyll to be released in that size! I've ridden the 26 Jekyll and it rips - perfect for Enduro and is proven!
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!