mtbr member
    Jul 2013

what fork to use for enduro?

good day! i need help!!!! what fork or how long the travel of the fork should i use for setting up an enduro bike(more DH)?? i have a haro xeon bike frame, has a 160mm of rear travel, about 6.3 inches... the haro xeon built bike came with a 140mm fork in their website, IMO a little less for enduro... i can only afford for a sr suntour duro 160mm or a rockshox domain 160-180mm... are these good forks? would it be advisable to use them for my frame or would it change the geometry drastically that it would be unsafe to ride the bike. thanks!!! cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Your question is one with many answers but I can share with you my experience. You don't need a specific fork for Enduro. You need to consider a few factors though. If you plan on racing some Enduros you need to identify the type of terrain you will be riding on by basically comparing it to the terrain you ride on when you go out for a weekend ride. (I have a friend who came from a pretty flat sandy area and suddenly he was exposed to steep single track with drops and rockgardens. His bike and its setup which he rode very comfortably and confidently on his local trails was suddenly not in its happy place and he had no fun riding our trails. The bike itself was not setup for our type trails.) Does your fork bottom out on these rides you do with your friends? If not the fork might be just fine for the time being. You need equipment that can handle the trail it's gonna be ridden on and of course the way you ride the bike. If you ride the fork to its maximum and you feel you might need another fork I will suggest you go 150 - 160mm. 150mm forks are usually with a 32mm diameter which can flex and give an unstable feel when hitting some rough parts on the trail but this all depends on my first comment of which type trails you'll be riding. The 160mm forks are usually 34; 35 or 36 mm in diameter, these stiffen up the wider they go but they also gain in weight, the wider the heavier. A 170+ fork might be on the heavy side as you end up doing a lot of pedaling in Enduro races. there are many that ride 170 - 180 forks but they are willing to pedal the extra weight. What I did was was get a fork which I can ride in the worst conditions and still be comfortable with how it feels and handles what the trail throws at it. This way I can ride that one fork everywhere. Imagine riding over a rock and behind that rock is a 2 foot drop. With a longer fork your front wheel will be on the ground and in control faster than a shorter fork. The longer fork will also slacken the head angle making the bike easier to handle on the downhills where as a shorter fork will decrease the head angle. The trend nowadays is to have a head angle of = to/<68
    but once again this is not a must for Enduro racing. I have a friend who races with a hard tail and 130mm travel fork and although he bottoms it out over the gnarly stuff he feels no need to change it as it suits the terrain and his riding style. As you ride more and experience more you will quickly realize what works and what doesn't. Try to buy right the first time to not waste your money. Try and use a bicycle shop who is passionate about bikes and you'll receive good advice. Race an Enduro with your bike the way it is if you feel comfortable on it and once you've done so decide what you want to change. If you already ride the fork to its maximum spend some time and study the market place, talk to you local bike dealer or other guys who race Enduros, you will be surprised at the specials going around on the 150 - 160mm forks. Just my opinion, sharing my experience and what worked for me. Good luck!
    When in doubt, Accelerate!

mtbr member
    the new rockshox pike is a solid choice.
    fox 34 talas/float
    i wouldnt want anything smaller than a 32mm diameter stanchion.

from my experience in the wa and or enduros. 170mm is too big for virtually all trails we race on. 140mm w/32mm stanchions would be too small for most of the trails we race on. something between 145 and 160 mm of travel and between 34mm and 36mm stanchion diameter would be optimal.

i ride a 140 mm rear travel frame with a fox 34 160mm in the front. I have ridden 160 and 160 in the front and rear, 180 and 180 in the front and rear. the 160 and 180 in the rear seem to suck the energy out of every pedal stroke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For enduro racing, I wouldn't go more than 160mm. Anymore and it's a big energy drain. RS Pike is sweet.