mtbr member

What do you do for endurance training?

I consider myself an amateur and I've never had formal training but recently I started riding on zones and completing certain goals according to my zones. I feel like I need lots of riding but don't have that much time to train. I ride twice a week a 3 hours ride on zone 2 and weekends I usually train technique on courses.

How do you guys train for endurance rides?

Enviado desde mi C6906 mediante Tapatalk
    Visit my Photography WEBSITE
    Like me on FACEBOOK

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you are looking to build endurance consistency is the key. Set a goal of riding five times a week for 1 to 2hrs. Once you have hit that target then start adding length to one or two of the rides.

The best part is you can combine endurance training and technique training. The longer your endurance rides are the more climbing you have to do and the more climbing you do, the more descending you do.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    If you are looking to build endurance consistency is the key. Set a goal of riding five times a week for 1 to 2hrs. Once you have hit that target then start adding length to one or two of the rides.

The best part is you can combine endurance training and technique training. The longer your endurance rides are the more climbing you have to do and the more climbing you do, the more descending you do.
    So I would be aiming at zone 3 ride or 2 hours at zone 2 for five days instead of twice a week 3 hour zone 2 rides?

I really want to get faster and more stamina on my rides. I heard people saying that I should be doing longer rides that the ones I will compete. For example train with 50 mile rides if I'm doing a 35-40 miles race. Kind of like that.

Like me on FACEBOOK

mtbr member
    what do you guys suggest for endurance riding in terms of bike. XC, CX, Road? All the same? Anything that would be best? I just can't see myself riding mellow endurance like trails on my 6" travel bike! So I was entertaining the idea of getting a road or cx bike for a change and ride year round.

mtbr member
    Personally I mix in my road bike and the big bike. I use the road bike for power intervals and sprints, and to ride year round on the trainer. The big bike is for techniques and to get used to the heavier feel, and obviously it's much more fun to descend the trail you just rode up haha.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    running and interval training on foot is not an option ?
    Im in the same boat than op, I want to improve my endurance, but when I take my bike is to have fun in the mountain not monitoring precise training data.
    I dont have a road bike and i hate road bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel de la Garza View Post
    So I would be aiming at zone 3 ride or 2 hours at zone 2 for five days instead of twice a week 3 hour zone 2 rides?

I really want to get faster and more stamina on my rides. I heard people saying that I should be doing longer rides that the ones I will compete. For example train with 50 mile rides if I'm doing a 35-40 miles race. Kind of like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    what do you guys suggest for endurance riding in terms of bike. XC, CX, Road? All the same? Anything that would be best? I just can't see myself riding mellow endurance like trails on my 6" travel bike! So I was entertaining the idea of getting a road or cx bike for a change and ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by choan View Post
    running and interval training on foot is not an option ?
    Im in the same boat than op, I want to improve my endurance, but when I take my bike is to have fun in the mountain not monitoring precise training data.
    I dont have a road bike and i hate road bike
    A couple of thoughts on this. Mixing in a few longer rides will really help your endurance. Think 3+ hours hopefully with 3,000'+ of climbing. Mix in some sprints during your shorter rides as well and you will be well on your way. Cross training like running helps for basic lung capacity.

mtbr member
    Swimming, pick up hockey or soccer etc. Doing something other than biking and using other muscles helps a lot more than people think.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    i have started riding road this year after years of saying i never would. after just a few shorts months my pedal power and endurance are at places i didnt think i could ever be. anyone who doesnt have a good road bike should really get one
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro
    2017 Trek Crockett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    i have started riding road this year after years of saying i never would. after just a few shorts months my pedal power and endurance are at places i didnt think i could ever be. anyone who doesnt have a good road bike should really get one
    What kind of training were you doing or following with the road bike that made you improve your endurance that much?

Like me on FACEBOOK

mtbr member
    anyone who doesnt have a good road bike should really get one
    let me quote this and send to my wife! :-)

aka: Bucky Fikes
    I'm of the exact opinion. 3 years of constant MTB only and I started feeling like I was just hitting a wall. I'm now 400 miles in the last month on a Specialized Roubaix and, much to my surprise, I'm loving the result. I'm doing 25-35 mile rides, 2-3 times a week, then I throw in a 40 once a week, then I go do a couple of my normal mtb rides. Huge difference in my speed and climbs. My cardio is awesome and I feel like I can just keep on going when I'm done with what used to be my usual 10-15 mile 2500' mtb ride. It's so crazy that I now own spandex kit and I signed up for a local Century in September. I'll see if my body lets me do it.
    Always ride with a purpose.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I'm of the exact opinion. 3 years of constant MTB only and I started feeling like I was just hitting a wall. I'm now 400 miles in the last month on a Specialized Roubaix and, much to my surprise, I'm loving the result. I'm doing 25-35 mile rides, 2-3 times a week, then I throw in a 40 once a week, then I go do a couple of my normal mtb rides. Huge difference in my speed and climbs. My cardio is awesome and I feel like I can just keep on going when I'm done with what used to be my usual 10-15 mile 2500' mtb ride. It's so crazy that I now own spandex kit and I signed up for a local Century in September. I'll see if my body lets me do it.
    same exact with me. i do 1 -2 rides a week on the road bike of 20-30 miles and it has paid of huge. i also own spandex and clips, just havent told my riding buddies that.

before i got the road bike i would supplement riding with weight training and elliptical or treadmill at the gym. im sure it didnt hurt me at all, but it didnt make near an impact as riding road did. my normal riding buddy who is generally a lot faster than me is now getting used to me buzzing his rear tire
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro
    2017 Trek Crockett

mtbr member
    May 2016
    well this week i'm gonna buy my first road bike. You have convinced me

i'm probably going to buy a cannondale caad10 @800 with shimano 105, seems to be a good deal, bike is 4 years old but seems mint condition !

aka: Bucky Fikes
    105 Shimano is a good start. It's more than adequate. The important thing is does the bike fit correctly? It's a whole different game on a road bike and fit is critical but I think you're on the right track. You look at all the top pro XC riders and they're all riding huge miles on the road. Once you get going, you'll want to start working on endurance so get a heart rate monitor because it's not about full tilt workouts though that's part of it, too. Endurance training has you staying in your Endurance heart rate zone for extended efforts which allows for muscle to grow and transform for that purpose. Interval training is there, as well as steady state training, all pieces of the puzzle to keep you in the saddle for great lengths and able to 'dig deep' for the big efforts and fast recovery.

One of things I have been shocked by since road training is how quickly I now recover from intense efforts on the road bike but especially as it relates to mtn bike. I'm beginning to put out longer efforts at higher intensities and just backing out of threshold power has my heart rate dumping quickly and having the gas in the tank to do it again in short order. This road thing has been more fun from that aspect then I expected. Be ready to be hooked on both disciplines.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can you use your MTB with slicks and get the same effect? I hate the feel of a road bike. I 'd rather get a 2nd set of rims with slick tires. Will this work? I know it won't be as fast as a road bike. But, I don't care about that, really.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by joevdenne View Post
    Can you use your MTB with slicks and get the same effect? I hate the feel of a road bike. I 'd rather get a 2nd set of rims with slick tires. Will this work? I know it won't be as fast as a road bike. But, I don't care about that, really.
    Road bikes will allow you to tune your output just a bit more than a mountain bike. I'm not a fan either but when I'm riding my Hightower on the road I constantly wish I had at the least a gravel grinder or cyclo bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How's the saying go? "Mountain bikers who don't also ride road are slow. Roadies that don't also mountain bike are dix". Kinda true.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Road riding helped me as well but from a mental aspect. As someone who never rode dirt bikes and didn't start mountain biking until 32 years old, the concept of speed on two wheels was terrifying. After doing poorly in enduro races I started road riding. The speed quickly became a normal muscle memory thing and it helped my enduro race results immediately. And I wasn't burning through brake pads!

mtbr member
    Get a single speed.

nimble biker
    I am interested in this thread too.
    Does training on trainer increase endurance?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Not any more than doing the same wattage/duration outside.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have a road bike but most of my road miles are on a fixed gear, nothing like a 3+ hour ride of constant pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    This thread is interesting, I want to learn endurance rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    It certainly does help. Depending on your local roads, it can be as effective or WAY more effective. On the trainer, you don't get any "coasting". I think I read somewhere that you could get somewhere around 1.5 times the amount of work per unit time on the trainer vs. most people's road riding conditions. It's also much easier to really nail intervals on the trainer.
    I personally think it also has to help the mental game because riding the "road to nowhere" in the basement is SO BORING...
    Personally, I can never make it over 1.5 hrs on the trainer. That's just my absolute limit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'd agree on the consistency thing. If you only have a few days to train though, I'd definitely mix in some efforts around your threshold. Your threshold is going to be the upper limit of your aerobic ability, which is important because the more aerobically fit you are, the quicker you can recover from those nasty sprint efforts within the stages!

It's a common question, and I recently wrote an article about why you have to be fit for gravity racing. Might find that helpful. There's also one about how to pace in enduro, which is also pretty important

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Keep in mind training should be cyclical (no pun intended). Longer slow rides are typically reserved for off-season, while the shorter high intensity efforts should be done leading up to the season itself. A 4 hour ride isn't going to do much good (besides make you tired) done a week before a race....while a all out interval isn't much good done 5 months before the season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_phd View Post
    I'd agree on the consistency thing. If you only have a few days to train though, I'd definitely mix in some efforts around your threshold. Your threshold is going to be the upper limit of your aerobic ability, which is important because the more aerobically fit you are, the quicker you can recover from those nasty sprint efforts within the stages!

It's a common question, and I recently wrote an article about why you have to be fit for gravity racing. Might find that helpful. There's also one about how to pace in enduro, which is also pretty important
    That was extremely useful, thanks.

I've read a few of your articles now and they're really easy to follow. Do you have any advice for someone who can only get on the bike a few times a week (3x 1-2 hour rides, up fire-roads and then down DH trails) but wants to ride strongly over 1-2 day mtb enduro races?

There is a local event in November with 1500 metres of climbing and 3000 metres of timed descent over the two days. I would really appreciate some info!