Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

What bikes are winning enduros?

I know, I know, it's not the bike it's the rider but what bikes are winning enduros?

From a BME perspective it seems like the Trek Fuel and Trek Slash are head to head with the Yeti SB-66c.

In the Enduro World Series Trek, Cannondale and the Yeti SB-66c seems to be up front.

Is it just me or do people seem to be winning on 26" bikes?

FKA Malibu412
    The fastest riders are winning. Pretty simple.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    May 2011
    160mm and 150mm 26, and 650 are winning, but only if they are under the top 15 riders in the world if you're talking about the world series. If you're talking about BME, NAET, or any of the EU series, its probably the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    The fastest riders are winning. Pretty simple.
    I thought I clarified that it my opening sentence

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Curtis Keene is winning domestic races on a 29er. Ross Schnell got 2nd at both crested butte and keystone on 29. Top 10 in BME, EWS, NAET have seen all wheel sizes in the top 10 at this point. Give any of those riders a bike with any wheel size and I don't think it will change much as they could all win any given day. Each size has strengths and weaknesses.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by 187 View Post
    I thought I clarified that it my opening sentence
    You did. But there's always that guy.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    The US races are not nearly as rough as the Euro races. For the first round of the EWS Lopes was the first 29'r in 15th and even said he brought the wrong bike. I think Keene finally cracked the top 10 placing 9th in the most recent round, but I would not hold my breath to see a 29'r win a Euro round of the EWS for the men. You cannot compare things like the Oregon Enduro Series or even most of the BME events to what happens over there. The BME Anglefire and Keystone rounds were both pretty rough, but the other rounds were less than challenging from a terrain perspective.

EWS has shown that the 26 is far from dead despite what all the marketing will tell you. I think Barel is the only person to win an event that was NOT on a 26, but not positive. Megavalanche was just won on a 26 as well. What is interesting is that non of the Specialized riders have been on the 29 Enduros. Keene has been on a Stumpjumper and Berteen has been riding her 26.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    26 isn't dead, but its not all dominating. Nico won #2 on 650. In 3 Leov, Keene, and Gracia were on 29. Nico, blenkinsop, Minnaar and Antherton are 650s. Again, I think any of those guys could ride any of the wheels and kill it. One course may suit 26, another 650, and another 29.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

EWS has shown that the 26 is far from dead despite what all the marketing will tell you. I think Barel is the only person to win an event that was NOT on a 26, but not positive. Megavalanche was just won on a 26 as well. What is interesting is that non of the Specialized riders have been on the 29 Enduros. Keene has been on a Stumpjumper and Berteen has been riding her 26.
    Nico Vouilloz won one World Series event on the Lapierre 650b he helped develop, and has been placing well otherwise. I also believe the Santa Cruz Syndicate boys have been placing well on Bronsons, though no bullets yet.

Loads of talent in the Syndicate (such as Minnaar, Gracia, Peat). Vouilloz among the best all time. Along with Barel, these guys all have the talent to win on anything, but interesting that they all are sponsored on 650b.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Doesn't seem to matter within the field of BME amateurs what kind of bike the guys winning are on. I'm sure the industry wants you to believe that you're going to start winning races on the 27.5 version going from a 26". I'll be sticking with the 26".

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
    Doesn't seem to matter within the field of BME amateurs what kind of bike the guys winning are on. I'm sure the industry wants you to believe that you're going to start winning races on the 27.5 version going from a 26". I'll be sticking with the 26".
    Exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread. The marketing around the Bronson makes me want one. Badly. That said, I'm not sure that it would improve my standings any. I must admit the Yeti SB-66c has turned my head and I'm not a Yeti guy.

undercover brother
    As someone who is a month into owning a SB66, I'm a believer. It really is an amazing machine.

Mr. Knowitall
    The fastest rider wins.

In the Norwegian series, the first 2 races were won by multiple times DH National Champion on a Foxy XR (160/140mm) and the last one was won by another fast guy on a Canfield The One (I think it was) 180mm front /1x0 rear (don't know, really) with angleset and everything, making it slacker than most DH machines.

Both 26". And the leader of the series on a 29" Remedy.

Still: the fastest guy wins. Period.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Still: the fastest guy wins. Period.
    Duh, As OP acknowledged in the first post.

The elites of the elites are competing the Enduro World Series. Certainly at that level of competition, the riders and the sponsors will pay careful attention to every component on the bike, including wheel size, so as to have every possible competitive advantage.

The best equipment won't win a race without the fastest rider, but the wrong equipment can lose a race despite the rider

So it is interesting to see what bikes the sponsors and the riders choose to compete on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

dwt
    mtbr member

2nd Nico Vouilloz, 650b

3rd Fabian Barel, 650b

Conclusion: if you want to podium at Enduro, immigrate to France

mtbr member
    I have bought Rosetta Stone for French and been listening to a lot of Daft Punk, Air, and of course, Serge Gainsbourg in an effort to become faster.
    If I have to eat snails, so be it...

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I have bought Rosetta Stone for French and been listening to a lot of Daft Punk, Air, and of course, Serge Gainsbourg in an effort to become faster.
    Baguettes and Bordeaux Wine will do. And don't forget road bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Baguettes and Bordeaux Wine will do. And don't forget road bikes
    Road bikes? Now your just being silly.

dwt
    mtbr member

Road bikes? Now your just being silly.
    I'm not completely reformed, & neither are the French

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nothing wrong with road bikes. I happen to feel they are part of becoming faster in Enduro.

mtbr member
    No, there is nothing wrong with road bikes...I spend about 15 years racing them.
    Switched to mtb because it is a little less uptight, or so I though.

Apparently, rodeoj thought it was too off topic, making a joke in response to dwt pointing out how the French are kicking a$$ in the EWS. So he neg. propped me...usually moderators have more than 171 posts.

Anyway, on the women's side, Tracy Mo has been cleaning up on her 29er. Somewhat surprising considering she is a former DH World Champ / World cup racer.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

No, there is nothing wrong with road bikes...I spend about 15 years racing them.
    Switched to mtb because it is a little less uptight, or so I though.

Apparently, rodeoj thought it was too off topic, making a joke in response to dwt pointing out how the French are kicking a$$ in the EWS. So he neg. propped me...usually moderators have more than 171 posts.

Anyway, on the women's side, Tracy Mo has been cleaning up on her 29er. Somewhat surprising considering she is a former DH World Champ / World cup racer.
    rodeoj reported the posts, first as SPAM, then as annoying off topic "food" replies. Then he got all bent out of shape when he was told they were not SPAM, there was no reason to delete them, and that he did not have to read them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't undertand this negative rep stuff. I'm pretty sure I was negative repped for being "antagonistic" but the message only showed up for a moment and I can't find it again. This would go into my "who cares" bucket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast