mtbr member
    May 2011

UCI World Enduro series 2013

Given that the UCI is creating a new Enduro world series for 2013, i'm curious to hear your thoughts on how this will affect us here is the US and abroad with regards to the national and smaller regional clubs.... example: how do you see this playing out with USA Cycling?

Will it have a trickle down affect, where we see more UCI compliant race formats?

Do you think the UCI will get it right or destroy it?

More questions than answers I suppose really.

John
    Last edited by rodeoj; 09-13-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: engrish

mtbr member
    **** the UCI

**** USACycling as well

Independently sanctioned races will always be better.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I just hope it doesn't turn into a race format where the winner is always on a hardtail 29er and wearing lycra and a roadie helmet. That's kinda what Super-D turned into when it started taking hold.

I think it has potential to be a great thing: shorter course than XC will attract spectators, but not being totally DH-gnar status will keep it somewhat realistic in some people's minds. The key will be just finding good venues within striking distance of civilization.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't think it will be dominated by "spandex" as European Enduro is quite well defined and has been IMHO for years. And my hunch, is that most of the Enduro UCI points series will be held in existing EU/Abroad venues and with existing promoters. I don't think we'd be lucky enough to have a single UCI points event in North America, though the BC Bike race comes to mind.

There is a massive industry built around Enduro in the EU, and I don't think the manufacturers would take kindly to scrapping millions and millions of euros worth of manufacturing, r&d, marketing, etc... nor the promoters being told to "tone it down", just because the UCI says "All bikes must be blue and have no seats and all races will race on xc courses". Bad example, but you get the idea.

The UCI though has been known to edict very bizarre things regarding areas that are not their specialty ( read Road and XC ). So we might see some weird **** this first go around, but it will improve over time I think.

I'm more interested in how it will affect regional series here in the states that are USAC sanctioned for example... Will we see things like Super-D/Enduro broken up into actual true cats instead of Pro/Open and AM? Will we see actual governing bodies issuing pro licenses for Enduros here in the states? Etc...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    This has the potential to be a very good thing, but we have to look at it with a lot of caution. As rodeoj said, the UCI has done some wacky things with sections of cycling that aren't road or XC mountain biking. They have a history of sticking to the money, and things that, in their estimation, are going to bring in the most revenue. Also with that, they're very stuffy and stuck up in regard to what exactly constitutes "cycling" in my opinion.
    I'd be very wary of any involvement with the UCI as far as enduro is concerned. I've pretty much hung up my racing kit for the time being, but I'm hoping that if and when I do make a comeback, it will still be possible to stay with some awesome, grass roots races. Just my .02...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

where is it

Quote Originally Posted by rodeoj View Post
    Given that the UCI is creating a new Enduro world series for 2013, i'm curious to hear your thoughts on how this will affect us here is the US and abroad with regards to the national and smaller regional clubs.... example: how do you see this playing out with USA Cycling?

Will it have a trickle down affect, where we see more UCI compliant race formats?

Do you think the UCI will get it right or destroy it?

More questions than answers I suppose really.

John
    Where is this at next year?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Most of the event locations will probably follow the other UCI locations... ie the EU, SA, CA, who knows where else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    A rumour that I heard around the pit areas in Trophy of Nations events was that the UCI series wouldn't consist of any new UCI arranged races, but of some already existing races of different enduro series. Also UCI wouldn't provide any(or at least not very "tight") rules and restrictions regarding the racing format, but those would be according the organisation who arranges each race.
    So in example the UCI Enduro world series could consist of couple races from Italys Superenduro series, French Tribe-enduro series, some races in UK and some races in North America.

So according to this rumour, basically UCI involvement would be only to provide the "world championship status" and points system and possibly also some media coverage.

If the case is this, it would be very logical on promising, not trying to create completely new series and tight rules, but to use already existing races, formats and rules. Doesn't really take away anything, but would increase interest and probably media coverage and thus more sponsors...

There are some articles that seem to back up that story, here a good one for example: Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking

derp
    Really hope that they don't mess the format as it is, they always have this nasty little habit of breaking things.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Some new rumors on world.endurotribe.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin@endurotribe View Post
    Some new rumors on world.endurotribe.com
    In North America, the Canadian Open Enduro in Whistler (during Crankworx and if they get their sh*t together as the 2012 race was an organizational nightmare and let most of the racers frustrated and disappointed) might be added to the 2013 World Enduro Series.
    I raced the Crankworx event and would not call it a nightmare. Most of the rider complaints revolve around the transfer stages being unmarked and the time allocated too short. It certainly was tight to get from stage 2 to stage 3 but not impossible. With some extra time added to the transfers I think it will run much better next year.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    New posts over on pinkbike about 2013 not happening, just a rumor though: 2013 UCI World Enduro Series Cancelled? - Pinkbike

Who knows if its legit though...? There is some interesting footage with the UCI discussing Enduro in this video, go to minute 7:45 ( this part is in English ): IBC @ UCI - IBC-TV auf MTB-News.de

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    One great thing that could come out of the talks is a somewhat standardized format and timing.

For Enduro to grow at the grassroots level there needs to be some frame work that allows smaller event organizers to put something on.

Timing seems to be one of the biggest hurdles for grassroots.

Mr. Knowitall
    Depending on the size of the startong field, synchronized watches and an excel sheet will dovthe trick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Depending on the size of the startong field, synchronized watches and an excel sheet will dovthe trick.
    The sarcasm-sign might be hidden behind your text, but anyways, its not -90's anymore and we are talking about World series...

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Timing seems to be one of the biggest hurdles for grassroots.
    This is what I responded to. Grassroots being the keyword.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    uci enduro would be cool

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    This is what I responded to. Grassroots being the keyword.
    I still think even with Grassroots racing people want a reliable and accurate timing system.

It's very difficult to properly time multiple special stages over the course of a day with just synchronized stop watches.

We've got a pretty good discussion going in the thread I started about timing systems with what many events are using.

Enduro Tribe has posted an update on the UCI thing today. If my translation is right then it's off for 2013 due to no firm rules. Perhaps for 2014.

With so many different formats falling under the "enduro" banner it will be hard to solidify one set of rules/format.

Personally I like the Trans Provence style of big long days with short mostly DH special stages timed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    it is my intention to follow this closely so that i can fall in line with world level format and style in my events. getting the rider development standpoint, it will help..

i have been in touch with usac on this issue and they are not doing anything until the uci comes in for what it is worth.

i think there are a lot of parallels between enduro and cyclocross and i would like to see the development of the short in the USA take a similar path.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by erik saunders View Post
    it is my intention to follow this closely so that i can fall in line with world level format and style in my events. getting the rider development standpoint, it will help..

i have been in touch with usac on this issue and they are not doing anything until the uci comes in for what it is worth.

i think there are a lot of parallels between enduro and cyclocross and i would like to see the development of the short in the USA take a similar path.
    Looks like a Series is going ahead without the UCI.

Projet de circuit privé international World Enduro Series pour 2013 | Enduro Tribe

I'd keep an eye on that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    yeah.. looks like Chris Ball has stepped out of the UCI coordinator role to work on a world series outside of the uci...

thanks for the heads up.
    Erik Saunders
    VP Components
    USA Brand Manager
    www.vp-usa.com
    www.beboppedals.com

tel. 805 617 0067
    mob. 336 602 3100