Thread: Twe

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Twe

let's hear some news on the TWE Enduro
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Winning time was 1:28 for the pros and 1:33 for am. I saw Noah Colorado in 21'st at 1:39 on a picture someone sent me of the results. The top times were cutoff though. I did see that Kelli Emmett won the women's race on a picture of the results when my buddies sent me a copy of my DNS.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I did not go fast enough on the flats and climbs today, oh well - the top dudes were insanely fast, I could have maybe gone 5 minutes faster if I turned it up a bit in those spots. Lots of guys wadded up, lots of mechanicals, glad my biggest issue was being too conservative. Ended up 22 out of the 39 "Pros" that finished, at least 6 DNF'd due to injury or irreparable equipment failure. Rough terrain.

The pro women also killed it - unreal.

Need to work on my XC skills for next year....time to sell the DH bike!

NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Noah, maybe you've discussed this elsewhere and if so please direct me there but what do you think of your Tallboy LT for racing this format, and I realize each bike will have its merits depending on the course but overall what do you think? I just finished watching all the Trans-Provence videos and was surprised to see EVERYBODY on a 26", I think I caught a glimpse of one TBLT.

As much as I've liked my Mojo HD over the last three seasons, I got a few days on the TBLT and I'm pretty convinced I'm quicker in almost all situations on the TB. I Stravad one day on a usual loop but unfortunately didn't save it so was unable to compare times. Definitely going to give Enduro races a try, unfortunately not much happening in Canada but I expect there to be more around the Vancouver area and contemplating the TB.

mtbr member
    The top Pro women destroyed it.

I was happy with my result (1:39). I didn't ride aggressive as I've never done Burro down and wanted to ride clean and safe. Super happy to finally have done the whole trail and to do it with such a great group of people. The whole weekend was great.

My brake failed on the Porcupine singletrack section after the race. Sketchy. Replaced the pin with an allen and a zip tie. Other than a crash on that section rode clean. Rode the bike as a 26er not a 69er. I needed that full travel for all those drops.

99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I did not go fast enough on the flats and climbs today, oh well - the top dudes were insanely fast, I could have maybe gone 5 minutes faster if I turned it up a bit in those spots. Lots of guys wadded up, lots of mechanicals, glad my biggest issue was being too conservative. Ended up 22 out of the 39 "Pros" that finished, at least 6 DNF'd due to injury or irreparable equipment failure. Rough terrain.

The pro women also killed it - unreal.

Need to work on my XC skills for next year....time to sell the DH bike!

This is the number one issue I've seen heard with most people when they start racing enduro/super-d. They think its all about the descending skills, but overall skill and massive fitness are really more important. There was a relatively lengthy debate here in OR this year over how to make the races so "the xc types" weren't winning. In the end, the same guys won because they are good at everything. You can put minutes into your competition if you can build the fitness to stay on the gas hard through the flats and climbs and even the mellow descents.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Noah, maybe you've discussed this elsewhere and if so please direct me there but what do you think of your Tallboy LT for racing this format, and I realize each bike will have its merits depending on the course but overall what do you think? I just finished watching all the Trans-Provence videos and was surprised to see EVERYBODY on a 26", I think I caught a glimpse of one TBLT.

As much as I've liked my Mojo HD over the last three seasons, I got a few days on the TBLT and I'm pretty convinced I'm quicker in almost all situations on the TB. I Stravad one day on a usual loop but unfortunately didn't save it so was unable to compare times. Definitely going to give Enduro races a try, unfortunately not much happening in Canada but I expect there to be more around the Vancouver area and contemplating the TB.
    In short: I love my TBLT. It's the best all-arounder I've ever had.

It's a bit of a handful (being so "big") in the really tight stuff and a touch slower getting up to speed - but I'm convinced it's considerably faster everywhere else (and all of my Strava times have improved greatly). I would be interested in trying a similarly equipped 27.5 bike with an inch more travel - just for comparisons sake.

There was at least two 29" bikes in the Trans-Provence - one TBLTc ridden by Chris Ball and some other (not sure of make/model) by Ed Oxley. I've never ridden in that region, but I could see the 26" being a bit easier to maneuver on those tracks which look largely like tight, awkward hiking trails. Chris Ball was on track to win the amateur division, but took a wrong turn in one of the later stages that cost him 15+ minutes. I suspect we'll see a lot of 27.5 bikes in there next year.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    A TBLT took second in the Mountain Creek KOM enduro last weekend on the east coast, too.

mtbr member

Tires?

What tires/weight tires were most riders using?

Seems you would want something pretty heavy duty with all those rocks but light enough to climb with.

Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    There were a TON of flats because people went too light. If I remember correctly, a thread in this forum had recommendations for people to run 580 gram tires! One of my friends triple flatted with a Hans Dampf in the front and an Ardent UST in the rear. Minimum would be a 750 gram tire and maybe something heavier on the rear.

mtbr member
    Both Nat and i were running hans dampf tires. Perfect tire for Moab. I used pacestar compound in rear for a little extra roll.

If anyone was running tubes without downhill tires they were asking to flat.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I ran Minion DHF 2.5 EXO up front and 2.25 Crossmark LUST in back, both tubeless. No issues. Crossmark was even suprisingly grippy on Friday on greasy Burro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    I ran Minion DHF 2.5 EXO up front and 2.25 Crossmark LUST in back, both tubeless. No issues. Crossmark was even suprisingly grippy on Friday on greasy Burro.
    What rim are you running the DHR exo on? I heard some guys were having trouble with them blowing off when set up tubeless.

Thanks for the responses guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    In short: I love my TBLT. It's the best all-arounder I've ever had.

It's a bit of a handful (being so "big") in the really tight stuff and a touch slower getting up to speed - but I'm convinced it's considerably faster everywhere else (and all of my Strava times have improved greatly). I would be interested in trying a similarly equipped 27.5 bike with an inch more travel - just for comparisons sake.

There was at least two 29" bikes in the Trans-Provence - one TBLTc ridden by Chris Ball and some other (not sure of make/model) by Ed Oxley. I've never ridden in that region, but I could see the 26" being a bit easier to maneuver on those tracks which look largely like tight, awkward hiking trails. Chris Ball was on track to win the amateur division, but took a wrong turn in one of the later stages that cost him 15+ minutes. I suspect we'll see a lot of 27.5 bikes in there next year.
    Thanks for the feedback and just what I thought. Just wish the chainstays were a bit shorter. It will be interesting to see more out of 275.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Recap video is up: http://vimeo.com/50845072

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    What rim are you running the DHR exo on? I heard some guys were having trouble with them blowing off when set up tubeless.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've run it on an Easton Haven, WTB i23 and for the race EnveAM. Never had any issues, sets up very easily.

I may run higher pressures than some. I'm 165lbs, but I can't stand tire squirm, usually up around 30psi.