Thread: Training

mtbr member

Training

Hi

I was just wondering what is the best possible training one could do for enduro racing if you can't get out on your bike. I done my first enduro a few weeks ago and I cramped up during the race because I didn't train enough. My fitness isn't great and I don't get out on the bike enough with family and work commitments. That's why I ask about other training and if anyone else does any other training before races.
    Thanks
    Robbie

mtbr member
    Sprints, sprints and more sprints. Start out with 30 seconds on, 90 seconds off doing 5 sets. From there start to stretch the on times to 45 seconds and then reduce the off time to 60 seconds until you are 60 on/60 off. From there keep stretching the times up to as long as you can go. 2 minutes on/2 off would be an amazing accomplishment. You should be able to do this on the street in front of your house in less than 20 minutes to start off with including a 5 minute warm up/down. If you don't feel like you are going to puke you are probably not going hard enough in the beginning.

In addition you can do lunges and or squats in front of the TV during the evening. Start out simple and then make it more difficult as you get better. Some of the people really good at these can do a squat balanced on one foot touching the other knee to the ground. This will also help with core strength.

One other thing, check Craigslist for spin bikes. I have seen a lot of them on there for $200-500 and they make sprint training much easier. For cramping check out Skratch Labs. I started drinking one bottle before the race and one during to cure my cramping problems. Good luck!

mtbr member
    ^^ some great advice right there. Sprint, and interval training of different intensities with different times are also helpful. You also need to be able to go downhill fast. Work on going as hard as you can downhill without killing yourself.

mtbr member
    That is another part that mtbks mentions. Most people ride to the top, rest then go downhill. Try going as hard as you can about 60 seconds from the top and then hit the downhill with no rest and close to max HR. You will find your bike handling skills have deteriorated considerably. Make sure to practice this aspect as well otherwise you may see some difficulty when pushing yourself to the edge.

mtbr member

Training

Guys thanks very much for the info, that's very helpful and I will make good use of this. Thank you. I find that when I get to the top my legs are like jelly and I have to take a break, if not I seem to make stupid abs silly mistakes, as you can see in my videos of my first race.