mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Thinking of doing my 1st Enduro race

Thinking of heading down to the Black Mountain Enduro in San Diego on the 20th. I just turned 20 and have just started to pick up mountain biking in the last 6 months. Although ive grown up racing motocross since I was 8, havent been able to afford it the past year now that im not on daddys budget anymore lol (still wish I could be racing by the way). Ive taken to the pedals pretty well and my ability to read terrain is very well. I just traded out my junk Orange Sub 5 for a 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo Comp 29er and absolutely love it (minus the brakes). Do you guys think this bike is capable? Its got 140mm in the front, i forget the spec for the rear, but its pretty geared towards aggressive dh riding (im sure most of you already knew that).

I am just posting this looking for some pointers as to if my bike is capable, what I should be expecting going into this race, what gear I should be wearing, as far as a full face or a conventional mtb helmet? knee pads? I've gotta get back into racing but I'm a little nervous because I am brand new to this racing scene, I dont wanna show up looking like a total goon.

By the way im running the 2.3 Butcher up front, and the 2.3 Purgatory on the rear.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

-Ethan
    Last edited by Somis; 10-10-2012 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Added picture

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Your bike is fine. Wear whatever you normally wear and you'll be fine. I'm doing that race too and it's seems to be more of a super-d course then a hardcore DH. Whatever you do just try to have fun and don't worry too much about trying what other people are doing or what they think of you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Are those pedals with clips on one side and flat pedals on the other? If so, think about changing out those. Also, those are some sweet reflectors, but you probably won't need them for an Enduro race. Other than that the bike is good enough to win the overall on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    Your bike is fine. Wear whatever you normally wear and you'll be fine. I'm doing that race too and it's seems to be more of a super-d course then a hardcore DH. Whatever you do just try to have fun and don't worry too much about trying what other people are doing or what they think of you.
    I just dont want to show up for a race where a full face is required and I should be wearing DH shorts. Its no so much about what people think, I just dont like to be unprepared and feel like an idiot (while also looking like an idiot!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Are those pedals with clips on one side and flat pedals on the other? If so, think about changing out those. Also, those are some sweet reflectors, but you probably won't need them for an Enduro race. Other than that the bike is good enough to win the overall on.
    Yea the pedals are doubles, havent gone to get some but my buddy who owns the bike shop sold them to me used for a killer price, I just wanted to go ride my new bike!

and im glad you dig the reflectors, i put those on for the downhills, extra inertia.
    but really I totally forgot those were there, i didnt really care just wanted to go bomb some hills

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    those pedals can come in handy if you want to unclip for some sections... i know some people that run them for that reason... those old style cages are plenty grippy in most cases, they just get banged up pretty good... you will know when the time is right to do something else...

most people disagree probably, but it aint the bike... it is the rider... either you can ride fast or you cant...

have fun...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Somis View Post
    I just dont want to show up for a race where a full face is required and I should be wearing DH shorts. Its no so much about what people think, I just dont like to be unprepared and feel like an idiot (while also looking like an idiot!)
    Ok as someone on another thread showed me there are videos of all three stages on the race website. I'd recommend viewing them to get an idea of what the course is like. Also if you could pre-ride the course it would really be helpful but I know that isn't always an option. I'm an XC guy but I will be doing this race for fun and will be riding my hardtail and wearing my XC kit. Based on the videos, input from other MTBR'ers, and Google maps sat view of the course I feel comfortable with my equipment. Yes there looks to be a couple sections where I will need to slow more than others but since I'm in it for fun I'm not all that concerned with my time.

As far as what kind of helmet you want to wear if you feel that you need a full face then do it. It's better to be over-protected then under-protected. Same thing with shorts and armor. As far as your pedals you most likely will not have to clip out to put a foot down on this course so they should be fine. If you do need to clip out the flat side may be beneficial to you.

mtbr member
    My suggestion is to mitigate any potential for a mechanical during the race. Go tubeless if you can and run a chain guide up front. Aside from a broken chain or another catastrophic break that would minimize anything that'd shut you down on the trail. Give it your all and pedal, pedal, pedal! Good luck man.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'll be out there on a 120mm hardtail 29er (Stache), so your bike should be fine.

Dropper seatposts are a great addition to your bike!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester