mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Switching from 25.4 w/ 110 to wider bars, shorter stem?

So I have an atypical Enduro setup.

I've got a 2008 kona dawg with a 160mm Marz 55 up front. The frame is small for me (17" 5'10") and the fork big for the bike. In order to keep the cockpit long enough to reduce washout in corners I've adapted to a 110m x 5* stem. While this setup adds steering traction in twitchy singletrack it isn't confidence inspiring above 30mph, topped out in a 36x12 I guess.

I would love to update my bars/stem, I'd call it a cockpit but that made me laugh. I'm hoping to keep the same weighted front feel when going through the fast loose corners but with a wider bar. Any idea what size stem would be a good starting point?

mtbr member
    I have the exact same bike (Medium '08 Dawg, I'm 5'8"), but I have a 150mm RS Revelation on it. At 150mm the fork felt a little flexy on the really choppy stuff, and the front end did wander some on the steep climbs if I was seated. I lowered the fork to 140mm and removed some spacers from below the stem...This helped with the wander.

The rear of the Dawg is 125-130mm, so that's a lot of fork on there...I'd consider lowering the fork to 150 or 140, but that's just me.

Back to my setup, I removed the stock stem and bar (I believe stock was a 90mm stem, and the bar was 685mm). I now run a 65mm stem with 6 degree rise...bar is now a 700mm bar with 30mm of rise, 9 degree of backsweep, 6 degree of upsweep. I kinda want to try a 50mm stem with a 720mm bar that has lower rise (maybe 15mm). I may lower the spacer amount a tad too.

A shorter stem and wider bar will get your weight forward and compensate for a slightly smallish top-tube length.

I'd say get a 65mm stem and get it as low to the headtube as you can (put the spacers above the stem, so you can adjust height to your liking.) Then, pick up a big bar, like a 760/780mm bar and use lock-on grips....take a few rides with the grips at different widths (yeah, it looks stupid hanging bits of bar, but this technique is really good for dialing it in....just be mindful of the bar bits so you don't clip them too often on things.) Once you are happy, cut the bars down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    8Valve,

Thank you for the input. I was already thinking about removing the spacer below the stem as well, that'll be my first step.

Any idea on which bar/stem combos are the best bang for the buck? I'll have a used Thomson to help pad the wallet for the new bar & stem.

I do agree that the 160mm was overkill on this bike, climbing requires a lot of work to keep everything planted and straight. I wish my RC3ti had some sort of travel adjust but that's just not in the cards, however, this bike loves the rough stuff for sure.

I'm looking forward to hearing input on which brands to shop for without breaking the bank. I may look for used but I have a feeling it'll be few and far between.

mtbr member
    If you don't care about weight too much, I feel that the Truvativ Hussefelt line delivers good value for stem/bars.

I have a Truvativ aka stem which I really like. I had a Holzfeller World Cup bar, but I got a crazy good deal on a Crank Bros Iodine on The Clymb. I think The Clymb has the Crank Bros Sage bar (780mm width, 15mm rise) for ~$20 right now....might be worth checking out.