Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

shorter travel, yet aggressive enduro frame??

I got into enduro racing last year, and really want to get a bit more serious about it this year. I told myself i wouldnt buy another bike this season but im starting to really consider it.

I currently have a v2 covert, which i really like for anything downhill, its built pretty burly with a talas 36, revolution wheels, fox coil shock, minion dhr 2.5's, etc.. overall its a pretty tough yet heavy build, i think around 35lbs. I know a wheelset, fork, shock and tires could bring that down to right around 30, but I love it for resort days and it still gets me up climbs fine, just not fast. I think the bikes perfect for that, and for the more DH oriented enduro races..

but after doing a couple races, i realized its just way too sluggish for anything with a good amount of pedaling, i just get killed.

so im looking for something i can use for those more pedally enduro races and trails. at first i was thinking a light weight build 6 inch bike, something like an sb66 etc.. but now that i think about it i feel like a 4-5 inch bike, with still fairly aggressive geometry, and a light build could be great. some races and trails i feel like i never use all 6 inches of travel, and would rather have a firmer, more responsive, fast flickable bike.

im liking the banshee spitfire a lot, the frames still not that light, but could definitely be build a bit under 30lbs, and i like that it still has aggressive dh friendly geometry, maybe the pivot mach 5.7 carbon?

so what do you think? would a shorter travel bike like that be a good bet? any other bikes you'd recommend?

mtbr member

Maybe a Yeti Asr5? On blowout at competitive cyclist. I'm considering it after doing my first enduro on my Asr7. It was like bringing a canon to a gun fight. Wasn't able to really take advantage of what that frame is good at.

mtbr member
    I've been riding a Stump FSR for a few years now and took it up to Mountain Creek this past weekend. 140mm rear with a Lyrik up front @160 brought me the goods! That bike got me within 1 foot of the top of the huge wall rides a few times and over the 5 foot drops and 15 foot gaps I was jumping. I was under-gunned for that place but tires saved the day.

I can HIGHLY recommend either an Enduro or Stumpjumper for great enduro bikes. Or bike parks! I should mention that I rode both with Monarch Plus rear shocks instead of the RP23 or Fox Brain shock that comes stock. I don't thing they would have done as well.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member

Re: shorter travel, yet aggressive enduro frame??

How about Santa Cruz TR?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    the new santa cruz bronson carbon actually looks pretty appealing, as well as some of the 2014 250b marin stuff ive been seeing. i like my bikes to be playful flickable and fun, unfortunately a lot of the bikes im seeing in the 140-150 travel range seem to have a lot more XC geometry than the 160 travel enduro bikes which are a little more DH friendly in their geometry. the intense tracer 275 also looks pretty sweet.

im just looking for ideas at this point, so please keep them coming, i figure anything in the 140-150 range is gonna pedal and climb well, so my next priority is for it to be a fun, poppy, lively descender.

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008

This is an easy choice. SC Blur TRc with a 150mm fork out front. It puts the front end at about 67degrees. Yes, it will void the warranty, I guess it's the price you have to pay. I have also heard that the ASR5 mentioned above can be set up the same way with similar results. The one thing that I will say about having a bike set up this way is that bike handling skills are important and line choices are important. You'll be tempted to try and blow through the chunder like you would on a 6" bike, but you'll be better served picking lines that you can jump and pop your way through. You will also enjoy the awesome cornering and explosive acceleration.
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    SC TRc or Pivot 5.7c would both fit the bill, but if you really want a do it all enduro race bike I would go Mojo HD, Carbine or SB66c/A. All of those bikes will pedal fantastic and kill the descents as well. Don't think they will give up much to the TRc or 5.7c on flat trails.

mtbr member

Re: shorter travel, yet aggressive enduro frame??

What about an ns soda air? Now THAT looks like a fun machine

mtbr member
    Im in the same boat mrsa101. im thinking the spitfire or the endorphin. ive heard great things about the endorphin. havent heard much first hand about the spitfire....

mtbr member
    There is a good writeup on the Endorphin in the AM forum that was posted yesterday. Check it out if you are looking at that bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by donthucktoflat View Post
    What about an ns soda air? Now THAT looks like a fun machine
    Im actually considering the soda for a FR bike in the future, seems like such a fun bike, but i dont think i could build one up with much focus on climbing and pedalabiliy, it would need to be much more gravity focused. and its meant for 6-7inch travel forks right? im looking for a 150-160 at most.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post
    Im in the same boat mrsa101. im thinking the spitfire or the endorphin. ive heard great things about the endorphin. havent heard much first hand about the spitfire....
    yeah im looking into the endorphin more and more, at the moment its between that and the spitfire, spitfire seems a little more aggressive and chargey, the endorphin seems like it might be a little more playful, but i havent heard a lot about it. both seem like they can pedal and climb really well. tough choice between the two! supposidly there is a 650b endorphin coming out. if so i think i might take that over the 26 version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsa101 View Post
    yeah im looking into the endorphin more and more, at the moment its between that and the spitfire, spitfire seems a little more aggressive and chargey, the endorphin seems like it might be a little more playful, but i havent heard a lot about it. both seem like they can pedal and climb really well. tough choice between the two! supposidly there is a 650b endorphin coming out. if so i think i might take that over the 26 version.
    I think the 27.5 Endo was prototyped and then shelved.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Mojo HD frame for this purpose. A Mojo SLR or Pivot 5.7 would be about a pound lighter in the frame, but I felt the pedaling efficiency of the DW was the biggest advantage over other bikes I tried (e.g. SB66, SC Bronson). Compared to the 150 bikes, I didn't notice much pedaling difference in the HD, but did notice descending advantage. With a Pike fork, XX1, and XTR brakes I expect full capability and hopefully around 27#

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone got any experience with the lapierre zesty or spicy? both seem like pretty playful and very light options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I think the 27.5 Endo was prototyped and then shelved.
    Last I heard it would be out this fall. Is this new news?

mtbr member
    Definitely check out the Endorphin. I have been riding one for a few months now and I love it. It flat out rips. Its set up with 150mm Revelation, dropper post and Specialized control tires (both over 700 gr). Its a hair under 28#.

I have a 160mm travel bike as well. Its a blast to ride, but like you mentioned, it can be a bit sluggish. The Endo keeps the aggressive geometry but is much quicker and snappier. Climbing is night and day difference.

Do yourself a favor and at least demo one. From what you described I think it would be an excellent choice.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    I've been riding a Stump FSR for a few years now and took it up to Mountain Creek this past weekend. 140mm rear with a Lyrik up front @160 brought me the goods! That bike got me within 1 foot of the top of the huge wall rides a few times and over the 5 foot drops and 15 foot gaps I was jumping. I was under-gunned for that place but tires saved the day.

I can HIGHLY recommend either an Enduro or Stumpjumper for great enduro bikes. Or bike parks! I should mention that I rode both with Monarch Plus rear shocks instead of the RP23 or Fox Brain shock that comes stock. I don't thing they would have done as well.

mk

My buddy and I both have the '13 Stumpy Expert EVO (carbon). We hit Mountain Creek opening weekend and found them very capable. The only thing we steered away from were the big jump lines, just because we really didn't want to risk casing or over-shooting a landing on our trail bikes. I have a Revelation on mine; he has a Lyrik at 160. Both have the stock Fox CTD with the Kashima Coat, which is a huge improvement over the RP23 of yesteryear.

The stumpy made the easier runs an absolute blast and we still were able to tackle the diamond and double-diamond runs on the back side of the mountain with all their nasty rock gardens. Pretty sure mine weighs in at 27.5# with tubes, 2.3" tires, SPDs, and dropper post. Medium frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    My buddy and I both have the '13 Stumpy Expert EVO (carbon). We hit Mountain Creek opening weekend and found them very capable. The only thing we steered away from were the big jump lines, just because we really didn't want to risk casing or over-shooting a landing on our trail bikes. I have a Revelation on mine; he has a Lyrik at 160. Both have the stock Fox CTD with the Kashima Coat, which is a huge improvement over the RP23 of yesteryear.

The stumpy made the easier runs an absolute blast and we still were able to tackle the diamond and double-diamond runs on the back side of the mountain with all their nasty rock gardens. Pretty sure mine weighs in at 27.5# with tubes, 2.3" tires, SPDs, and dropper post. Medium frame.
    yeah that seems like a great bike, ive been looking into them a bit the last couple days and keep looking better and better. i definitely like that its a carbon frame as thats where pretty much everything is going and weighing 5lbs puts it already 3lbs ligher than the spitfire.

short chain stays, not too slack of a head angle, lower bb and light weight all make it seem like a super playful bike. i guess i just dont know if i want a playful bike, or a hard charging, bomb everything bike. which seems to be the difference between the stumpy and spitfire.

how's the bike jump? id assume it does pretty well, i do a lot of resort bike park riding so whatever i get has to jump well. i feel like the spitfire's gonna be the bike to have at resorts and the stumpy will be the bike to have for trail riding. though the spitfires rear suspension makes it seem like it should pedal just as well. uggh hard decisions....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Last few I've gone through are remedy 9, orange alpine, mojo hd, nomad carbon.
    All great. There's always a compromise between climbing and descending ability.
    I've got into my head that 160 is the min travel in after but maybe it's not necessary all the time.
    I'm tempted to try out a evil uprising.
    650b mojo hd is also on the cards. The hd pedals great and I do miss that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I agree with the Santa Cruz Blur TRc. I have a 140 fork on mine and it's a great bike! Doesn't climb quite as well as my 5 Spot did but more than makes up for it in every other way!

Mine weighs in at just over 26 pounds with an X9 3x10 build and a Reverb dropper post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo1 View Post
    Last few I've gone through are remedy 9, orange alpine, mojo hd, nomad carbon.
    All great. There's always a compromise between climbing and descending ability.
    I've got into my head that 160 is the min travel in after but maybe it's not necessary all the time.
    I'm tempted to try out a evil uprising.
    650b mojo hd is also on the cards. The hd pedals great and I do miss that.
    Yeah im a little skeptical about less than 160mm travel. it seems like 160mm bikes can pedal so well now, that less might be unnecessary.. 140 rear travel and a 160 fork on the spitfire doesnt seem like too much of a compromise, especially with all the good things im hearing about the spitfires rear suspension, but still, considering the spitty and rune are super close in weight, it seems a little pointless to loose that extra rear travel.

anyone ridden a commencal meta am or sx? same weight as the the spitfire/rune, and ive heard lots of good things. just needs to pedal pretty well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Mojo HD in 140mm guise.

From there you have options galore.

usually cranky
    a mojo sl-r with offset bushings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast