lets ride

Scott Enduro Cup Moab

Anyone doing this race? I'm heading up Wednesday next week and pre-riding the course Thursday. If anyone is interested in joining me, shoot me a pm.

Tribe Member
    I will be there mid day Thursday..driving over from Denver. Once plans finalize I will shoot you a PM
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    I'll be there for the race but won't arrive til Friday morning around 9 or 10. I'll shoot you guys a PM and maybe we can meet up for a beer or something...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bump, any info on this race from last year? I was thinking of signing up, from the video highlights looks more like downhill xc? Do you remember if there were any drops bigger than 4-5ft on the course or should I bring my short travel trail bike if I sign up? I've only done one enduro race (Vail Outlier) and I stupidly brought my dh bike expecting lift access to mean downhill.

Formerly of Kent
    It's an enduro race in Moab. There's nothing that would ever warrant a DH bike in the first place, and unless they have a stage on TWE, there's not really a way to shuttle or provide lift access.

So, yeah, your short travel trail bike is the way to go.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cool, trail bike it is. Bartlett wash has some dh bike worthy stuff but have never been to the place they ran the race at so had no idea what to expect.

mtbr member
    klondike bluffs. Look it up on mtbproject or trail forks. I don't think there's any "black" rated trails. I'll be there, undecided on 6" travel or 4" travel bike... From what I understand and having ridden there a little bit, the people who do good are people who have early season endurance.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Is it confirmed that it's Klondike? Been on the fence watching and waiting to see what the course is going to be. Ironically, I'd bring my 4" bike over my 6" if it's Klondike, but it's part of a larger trip that requires 6" elsewhere. Hmmm, too many choices....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Is it confirmed that it's Klondike? Been on the fence watching and waiting to see what the course is going to be. Ironically, I'd bring my 4" bike over my 6" if it's Klondike, but it's part of a larger trip that requires 6" elsewhere. Hmmm, too many choices....
    From what I understand the previous years have all been Klondike, I'm probably going to bring both bikes. I've only ridden that area a couple of times. I should be out there on Monday or Tuesday.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, I was waiting on the course announcement but have decided to just sign up any way. I'll be on my Nomad trying to keep the rubber side down whether it's at the Bluffs, back to Mag 7 or even Amassa (which I'd guess are the only real options in my opinion).

mtbr member
    Klondike bluffs is confirmed on Facebook. Course info released 5/3.

I'm bringing my Enduro but I think I'll probably be racing my Tallboy3. I'll probably be out there Monday or Tuesday and preride the course wed/Thur on both bikes. Depends on what there is for climbing in the actual timed sections, my tallboy does pretty well in light chunk but it's significantly more quick on short burst climbs.

Signed up for amateur.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How do you decide what class to enter? Not having much Enduro experience was thinking amateur or expert but don't want to be sandbagging. Would it be stupid of me to enter pro? Have a few top 10's in the Moab area on strava but those were more XC than Enduro segments, and it seems like a lot of pro enduro racers don't strava anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    How do you decide what class to enter? Not having much Enduro experience was thinking amateur or expert but don't want to be sandbagging. Would it be stupid of me to enter pro? Have a few top 10's in the Moab area on strava but those were more XC than Enduro segments, and it seems like a lot of pro enduro racers don't strava anymore.

The last enduro I did was a BME. In amateur I was racing against full factory sponsored riders. I wanted to switch to pro/open just because with scott it looks like you get to race an extra stage (baby steps last year). They won't let you change categories though. If a race license is not required expect sandbaggers.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Side question here: do they split up the men/women groups? Curious as with the BME i got mixed up in the field and didn't see my wife all day, but it would be cool to race beside her.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    The last enduro I did was a BME. In amateur I was racing against full factory sponsored riders. I wanted to switch to pro/open just because with scott it looks like you get to race an extra stage (baby steps last year). They won't let you change categories though. If a race license is not required expect sandbaggers.
    Cool, found the results from last year and looks like amateur is 3 stages and expert / pro are 4 stages. I guess that's one reason to go up to expert.

2016 SCOTT Enduro Cup Results - Overall Results

Fragilie
    Cool, found the results from last year and looks like amateur is 3 stages and expert / pro are 4 stages. I guess that's one reason to go up to expert.

2016 SCOTT Enduro Cup Results - Overall Results
    Last year, everyone raced all the same 4 stages at the Moab race.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Last year, everyone raced all the same 4 stages at the Moab race.
    Yep, they also just announced everyone is doing 4 stages. I think the problem with mixing genders is a 1 min gap might not be enough?
    Front Range, Colorado

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Can anybody who has done this race before tell me what to expect as far as support and overall time on the bike?
    Just trying to get an idea of what I need to carry as far as food and water, total mileage, time out there and what if any aid is on course? Is there time between stages to run back to the car and refuel?
    Thx
    Last edited by Waafoo; 04-29-2017 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Can anybody who has done this race before tell me what to expect as far as support and overall time on the bike?
    Just trying to get an idea of what I need to carry as far as food and water, total mileage, time out there and what if any aid is on course? Is there time between stages to run back to the car and refule?
    Thx
    30ish miles, 2016 course used to be on the website if you googled it but it looks like it was pulled.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Just trying to get an idea of what I need to carry as far as food and water, total mileage, time out there and what if any aid is on course? Is there time between stages to run back to the car and refuel?
    Thx
    Around 25 miles and 2600 feet of vert. If you had a car parked at the north Klondike trail head, you could make a little side trip to get supplies. Other than that, no it's not easy to get back to your car mid race. I think I remember 2 water stations on course, but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone have any info on camping in the area? I usually stay at archview but they are booked and all the hotels are way too expensive.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any info on camping in the area? I usually stay at archview but they are booked and all the hotels are way too expensive.
    What day are you heading out there? My wife and I can't get out there till mid-day Friday, so I have a suggestion on a site...but if it's super crowded, maybe share?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    What day are you heading out there? My wife and I can't get out there till mid-day Friday, so I have a suggestion on a site...but if it's super crowded, maybe share?
    The more I think about it I might just skip it, my local race series is only 25 bucks a race and includes a free beer so 135 is a big increase, especially if it isn't an all you can drink party after

mtbr member
    Wife signed me up, so I'm just there for the beer anyhow....bringing up the rear!

Looking like it's going to be a HOT Friday and Saturday. Oof, lots of water.

Fragilie
    There's a fair bit of camping within a quick pedal of the race site. I'll be there mid day on Thursday camping in the area near the race. Plan to reverse all the stages to cut out a lot of the transfer miles. I'll be in a brown class B RV
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    So we're aiming to pre-ride the evening before on Friday given what the heat is looking to be. Anyone interested? We've ridden Klondike before in the past, but never tried to pin it down any of these trails. Both of us are amateurs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, the course map is out and I plan to head out some time Friday. Bugger is that I'll get there too late to pre-ride any stages and so will hope for the best on Saturday when I race it blind. Been to Moab many times but never ridden Klondike.

mtbr member
    Fun race, weather at the end was wild. I was lucky enough to finish before weather got gnarly.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Yeah, the race was fun, but was a rude-awakening for me this season. Worst result of my life so far. Time to start actually training for the next races! ;-)
    ... powered by donuts ...

Mojo Wheels
    100%

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper. View Post
    Yeah, the race was fun, but was a rude-awakening for me this season. Worst result of my life so far. Time to start actually training for the next races! ;-)
    It was definitely a pedaly course!!! I got my first podium so I was psyched. Felt bad for anyone who did stage 4 in that rain/wind. Had to be really sketchy! Looking forward to Angelfire!
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ah stage 4...I was one of the ones right at the top of the ridge as the wall of water came over. I was about 12th or so in line as we saw the lightning and heard the thunder. The rain hit about 4 or 5 riders in front of me. By the time I went, the upper sections were incredibly slick but it was drier towards the finish. The wind had impacted the course tape and I actually stopped twice to look for the trail (raced stages 1 & 4 blind). I finished 20 places behind my average finish from the first 3 stages on what I heard all day long was the most fun stage. If only I had arrived at stage 4 10 minutes earlier...lol It was a great day. 6 hours (8am to 2pm) in the backcountry, I felt alive, which I realized I hadn't felt that way in a while. Loved hanging out in Moab afterwards with my Moab Diner milkshake. My Nomad was a great bike for the event and I wished I had pedaled more with greater intensity. I'll be back next year for sure and hope to do a few more races this year.