mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Santa Fe BME 2017

Who's going and any secrets to share?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'll be there. Last year's race was the hardest day I've ever had on a bike. Working hard to make sure this year is a little easier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I rode the trails this weekend, the crew out there has been doing a great job and they've added some awesome terrain.
    It sounds like they're looking at cutting down on some of the huge transfers from last year. We'll see if that holds.
    As far as trail conditions, expect loose and dusty unless they get rain right before.

mtbr member
    Rode Chili Dog and Jagged Axe over the weekend. I was really surprised how dry the trails are already, but still riding good. Most features and overall trail conditions held well over the winter.

Secrets? there's proper b-lines on Jagged now, so if you're pinned exhausted and don't want to mess up a feature, there's better reroutes now. Ummm, and no more garbage pit at the bottom?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I signed up last night, how is the camping situation? I am either taking my pop up camper if I have company or just sleeping on a platform in the bed of my truck. Can you just pitch a tent in the parking lot?

Fragilie
    They have both tent sites in the grass and proper rv spots. Pretty nice little campground.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    what were the course stats lastyear? I heard it was brutal last year.

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    what were the course stats lastyear? I heard it was brutal last year.
    Lots of pushing your bike uphill and lots of going fast down. 7400' of climbing for the day, it's said to be closer to 6k this year.

I'm with stupid
    I plan on being there. What kind of shape I will be in is still up in the air. Hopefully I wont suck it up too bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm not expecting a top ten but just wanting to get my feet wet and have some fun with out riding in a bike park. Maybe they cut down the climbing this year compared to what I read about last season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Lots of pushing your bike uphill and lots of going fast down. 7400' of climbing for the day, it's said to be closer to 6k this year.
    Fuuuuuuuck

I have a lot of work to do in about a month

I'm with stupid
    That's how I feel as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Well i rode a potential trail they're considering. Transfer is easy, trail is super fun with rocks, berms, some loose, and stream crossings. If they are including this, one trip to the towers, jagged axe and chili, that's pretty much in line with 6k of climbing for the day.

I'm with stupid
    Is it worth driving down for a weekend before the race to preride this stuff? Or can you pretty much just hit everything blind?

mtbr member
    Given my skillset, there's no way I could have ridden Jagged Axe blind without being super slow or losing the trail altogether. Chili Dog, close to that as well. I personally am not a strong drop/jump person, so some of the features would be quite surprising!

Worst case, you come down before Santa Fe becomes a zoo for the summer and get some margaritas and ride some ripping trails!

mtbr member
    Is the new trail the "Flow Trail" on Trail Forks from the same climb as Chili Dog?
    Losing just makes me faster.

mtbr member
    That's correct. They start at the same spot and split in the first 30 feet. It's the more northern trail, marked in blue on Trailforks.

I'm with stupid
    So what type of terrain is out there? Best on a 140mm/140mm 29er or big 170/165mm sled? Any videos people have of the race last year other then just 20 mins of watching people go over a big drop?

Fragilie
    140 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    So what type of terrain is out there? Best on a 140mm/140mm 29er or big 170/165mm sled? Any videos people have of the race last year other then just 20 mins of watching people go over a big drop?
    I'd say it depends on the style. Last year I rode my Fuel 29 with a 140mm Pike and while it was pretty comfortable and fast on the first two stages, no way it was faster or easier on Jagged Axe and Chili Dog. Just depends how aggressive of a 29 it is.

Riding those same trails on my 160mm 27.5 bike is significantly more fun/faster. But, that's me.

I'm with stupid
    My choices are a Canfield Riot or a Canfield Balance. So both what would consider aggressive bikes and way faster then my skills will make them go.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah this is a tough race to call. There's definitely some stages where a shorter travel 29er is faster, but there's also some proper tech stages. I'm deciding between a Yeti SB4.5 and a Giant Reign. Last year I raced an Evil Following and I felt like it was a great bike for the race.

I have a buddy with a Balance and he claims that bike is a bit of a pig. I would think that alone would make me lean toward the Riot. It's a long, grueling race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    My choices are a Canfield Riot or a Canfield Balance. So both what would consider aggressive bikes and way faster then my skills will make them go.

Given thos options, I'd lean towards the Riot. I only had 120mm in the rear and 68 HTA up front, so that made things a bit dicey... Fun, but definitely not 'fast' (well, neither am I...).

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yeah, I would go with the 29'er, all of the drops on Jagged Axe have fairly smooth landings so as long as you commit you're not going to need all of the suspension. Last time I rode those trails those my buddy on a 27.5 got caught in a bunch of holes on the rocky section of jagged axe and the lower part of chili dog

mtbr member
    With Glorietta being a privat facility, how does it work to show up and ride before the race? Can you just drive right on in? Is there a fee? Any info is appreciated.

I will be getting to the SF BME too late to pre run anything. But I have some time next week to run down there. I'd love to ride Jagged Axe and Chili Dog and the new trail a handful of times. Mostly because they are super fun trails.
    Losing just makes me faster.

mtbr member
    There's typically a person at the gate during reasonable daytime hours who will have you fill out a waiver and you're good to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have a lot of vacation time to use so I am going to try to go down a few days the week of. If it gets approved I'm down to trade off shuttles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm not sure Gloriettas's official stance on shuttling. But when I was there last they were asking people to not bring their cars into the compound at all. maybe that's changed but I'd recommend calling ahead first before you get too committed to shuttle runs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Is anyone going to preride this next weekend?

mtbr member
    What was the hydration/fueling set up last year? I'm curious if I can get a way with my Enduro specific hydration belt aka fanny pack, or if we're far enough removed that I'll want my CamelBak.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    What was the hydration/fueling set up last year? I'm curious if I can get a way with my Enduro specific hydration belt aka fanny pack, or if we're far enough removed that I'll want my CamelBak.

They had water at the top of the big transfers and you were also able to swing by your camp between transfers also as the stages all pretty much end at the camp. I carried one 20 oz bottle myself and refueled at the truck between stages 1,2 and 2,3.

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by INF216 View Post
    I have a lot of vacation time to use so I am going to try to go down a few days the week of. If it gets approved I'm down to trade off shuttles.
    When are you going to be there, I'd be willing to trade off with you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    They had water at the top of the big transfers and you were also able to swing by your camp between transfers also as the stages all pretty much end at the camp. I carried one 20 oz bottle myself and refueled at the truck between stages 1,2 and 2,3.
    I like the sound of that! Fingers crossed it's similar this year.

If shuttling is an option I'd love to get in on that for Friday. I couldn't provide a vehicle but I'd be more than happy to help with gas etc.

I'm with stupid
    I will be getting there on Thursday. I hope shuttles are a option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm either heading down Thursday morning or afternoon.

Arin are you camping? I'm debating between taking my pop up camper or sleeping in the bed of the truck.
    Last edited by INF216; 05-22-2017 at 05:47 PM.