mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 for enduro racing??

ok so here's the story, I had a 2011 spec enduro expert that I sold off due to the fact there wasn't any enduro race series going on in the north east. So in place of the enduro I bought a 2011 giant glory 00 to do some downhill racing this season. Well this year they decided to do a enduro series and all of them will be lift assisted so there wont be any climbing to the stages. I really didnt like my enduro all that much due to the fact that it was a slug on the climbs(I plan on doing some local single track with the slayer once in awhile). I have a 2011 spec stumjumper expert 29erbthat is my weekly single track ***** that I could use but I'm not sure 130mm will cut it on some of the races. Everybody has said the slayer is a little bit better climber due to the seat tube angle. I could use the 29er which is a great bike but the 29er front end feels a little flexy in curtain situations, I was thinking about upgrading the fork to a 34 140mm fox(it has a 130mm reba with a 20mm axle now) if I do decide to race that in the enduro races. Not sure what to do cause I want to do both series and I dont want to kill my everyday trail bike. I would really like to get a new norco 650B but I dont feel like spending $5-6k right now. I found a awesome deal from jenson on the slayer 70 for $3,300. Any suggestions
    Last edited by gsxr1000dave; 12-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Let me first say I have never competed in an enduro race. But, I do have a 2012 slayer 70 that I purchased off jenson. Superb bike once you get the suspension dialed in. The trail I ride most begins with an absolutely grueling 20 minute climb that includes one section that everyone I've ever ridden with or seen on the trails has been unable to clear. On the slayer I failed this section the first time but have cleared it every time since with a little bit of effort. The slayer comes stock with 2x10, which is perfect for climbing, especially if you find yourself desiring the granny ring. I personally don't like shifting much (or having a front derailleur) so I converted to 1x10 with a 36t renthal chainring up front and I slapped on an LG1+ to keep the chain on and reduce noise even though the X9 derailleur does a great job.

With that being said, the rear RP23 does have propedal, and the front fork can be fully locked out to make climbs easier, but I have always been a big fan pedaling everywhere with rear shock fully open, and fork fully open (Im not racing so I might as well just build strength while I exercise). Also, the rare times I do lock out the front fork, I find that the front wheel can wander a little on "all out" uphill efforts.

Another important thing to consider is the rear tire (maxxis ardent 2.25) I found that the 2.25 width is a little too skinny for the incredibly steep hills I ride up, especially now because they're damp and covered in wet leaves. That being said, I am planning on putting a high roller 2 on the back, I'm just going to wait until the spring to try the Ardent in a little drier conditions.

In terms of the downhills, the slayer absolutely kills it, I find that my local downhills have become a little LESS fun because of how effortless it is to bomb down them while barely using my brakes. Loves being in the air, and eats up rocky stuff which a personal favorite.

Random thoughts:
    Kashima would be nice on RP23
    Handlebars could be wider but the carbon is sick
    Front wheel has wheeltech carbon hub which is very light and spins forever.
    Formula the one brakes are awesome once you align the caliper perfectly and bed them in.
    Love how easy it is to keep all pivots properly torqued

If you have the money, and need a new bike, and jenson has the right size (I'm 5'9 3/4 and weight 165 and got an 18 - fits perfect) then I would say you should probably pull the trigger before time runs out.
    Last edited by shredjekyll; 12-21-2012 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have raced in one Enduro race last year, and a bunch of Super D's before that, all in the Northeast, and i can tell you that I've seen people racing all different types of bikes. I've seen full suspension 29ers, hard tail 29ers, full rigid 29ers, long travel 26ers, short travel trail bikes, you name it people race it.

Some races are more for trail bikes and some are more for long travel All Mountain bikes. it depends where the race is. But, I think a Slayer would be good for all around.

The last couple of years I raced a KHS Velvet with 170mm/150mm of travel. This year I'll be racing a Kona Coilair 170mm/180mm of travel with a 1X9 setup and it works fine for me. I hate climbing, but the downhills are a lot of fun.

BTW, where are the Enduro races in the northeast this year?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have raced in one Enduro race last year, and a bunch of Super D's before that, all in the Northeast, and i can tell you that I've seen people racing all different types of bikes. I've seen full suspension 29ers, hard tail 29ers, full rigid 29ers, long travel 26ers, short travel trail bikes, you name it people race it.

Some races are more for trail bikes and some are more for long travel All Mountain bikes. it depends where the race is. But, I think a Slayer would be good for all around.

The last couple of years I raced a KHS Velvet with 170mm/150mm of travel. This year I'll be racing a Kona Coilair 170mm/180mm of travel with a 1X9 setup and it works fine for me. I hate climbing, but the downhills are a lot of fun.

BTW, where are the Enduro races in the northeast this year?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks for the replies. Eastern states cup will be putting a couple on this year. looks like killington(VE), attitash(NH), plattekill(NY) and they said there will be more mountains to be announced. Probally all of these will be lift assisted and more like mini dh races. I cant want till the spring to go have some fun!!!!

here's a link to there website: Eastern States Cup