Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Contagious Xian
    the problem with owning a dropper post is that you will want one for every bike once you start using one. probably one of the best components I've ever owned, right up there with disc brakes...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Kind of what I thought. The Thompson I have now is really to short anyway. Does anyone run one without the remote.. Trying to simplify the cockpit not add to it.

Contagious Xian
    I've tried both, and when things start getting hairy at speed I do not want to be taking my hands off the bars to try and drop my seat. if you run a Reverb with the opposite side (run a right hand lever underneath the bar on the left hand side) it protects that lever too.
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 12-25-2012 at 09:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X View Post
    the problem with owning a dropper post is that you will want one for every bike once you start using one. probably one of the best components I've ever owned, right up there with disc brakes...
    I've ran dropper posts on all my bikes on/off going on almost 7 yrs now and used to swear by them as well. Lately, I don't run them at all unless the terrain totally requires one (up/down/up/down/etc) and was pretty stoked to be able to run the Oregon Enduro Finals race the whole weekend for all 7 race stages with no dropper post and did better than I have in other Enduro's/Super D's when running them (placed 1st in my Cat!). Decided to not run one at my last race as most timed descending stages don't require them as long as you can pedal out of the saddle here and there for short periods of time when needed. I was pretty discouraged with dropper posts for Enduro racing after I snapped a remote cable just before the only climb section on last stage of one race at start of season last year, causing the post the stay in most extended position and bouncing around like a pogo whenever trying to sit down in lowered position that almost killed me on the steep descent at end of race. So for me, dropper posts are more of a nuisance for Enduro racing at least (don't even run them for regular trail/AM riding anymore as I prefer the simplicity and reliability of standard post and most trails I ride go straight up to down and don't mind manually adjusting before the descent) and not really required for Enduro's as most timed stages don't have climbs mid stage like Super D's did.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good point about enduro racing and the climbs not being timed. I've spent a lot of time tonight researching and it doesn't sound like all of the kinks are worked out yet unless you want to spend $400. Definitely don't see that kind of value in it.

I'm with stupid
    I have mixed feelings on dropper post. One day I love them the next day I dont. The biggest down side is you get used to a saddle being dropped and ride like that. Then when it does not work or drop you cant ride your bike worth a crap anymore and get the your tant slapped by the post cause you are not used to it being there anymore. I normally just ride with my post droppped a bit all the time and dont race to the top. That way i can get you muscle memory made that it is there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree with what Jgusta says completely. I have had identical experience and no longer use a dropper. I run my seat at a hight that I can get behind it on all the descents in my area but still high enough to sit and pedal with some efficacy. For my bike and body size this ends up with my seat being at about knee hight while standing on the bike. I have also found that being able to use the seat between your knees for bike control at times is handy so its another plus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dg designs View Post
    Good point about enduro racing and the climbs not being timed. I've spent a lot of time tonight researching and it doesn't sound like all of the kinks are worked out yet unless you want to spend $400. Definitely don't see that kind of value in it.
    Yeah for everyday trail riding on undulating terrain (always put one on when riding Sedona or SW UT) they are very nice to have, but for most Enduro's here in the states at least, they are not really required as you can just manually raise the post for the untimed climb sections when you are done with each descending timed stage. The only one I would maybe consider now is the KS LEV, but at $420 for the 150mm and still being a bit of a gamble with reliability (my KS Supernatural 150mm had to be sent back multiple times due to failure in the first year), it's a big no go for me. Next one for me if I do, is going to be non remote (lever) type in 6", which is only the KS Supernatural for now. Wish Thomson's new dropper post was going to be 6" as 5" isn't long enough for my longer legs as I would be willing to give that a shot.
    Ride On!

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    AJR

luc91
    Large Commencal Meta 666
    Marzocchi 55 custom tuned
    Fox RP23
    2x9 XT drivetrain (24/36 by 11-34)
    Elixir 5 brakes 203/185 rotors
    50mm Straitline stem and HS spacers
    Opium 3 handlebar 780mm
    Cobalt 3 seatpost
    Hope QR seat collar
    Stan's Flow wheels
    WTB Weirwolf 2.5/Nokian NBX 2.35 front/rear tires
    Crank Bros rear QR
    The DH saddle
    Lizard Skins grips
    Jagwire cables and hoses
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Enduro/Super D rigs here...-img_1332.jpg  

I'm with stupid
    Man I sure did love that weirwolf 2.5 tire!

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Man I sure did love that weirwolf 2.5 tire!
    Good tire. Have been running one on the front of my bike for two seasons without issues.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Niner RIP 9
    Sram X0 Drivetrain
    Fox CTD remote front and rear suspension
    Fox DOSS seat post

I don't get to ride it until February though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Enduro/Super D rigs here...-niner-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How many cables and levers do you have on the bars?

mtbr member
    Everyday rider + race rig. Trail pic is with Crosstrails, but Santa brought me some new XTR Trail wheels.

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    My new Rune V2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Enduro/Super D rigs here...-photo-3.jpg  

Post your Enduro/Super D rigs here...-dsc_5733.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    My new Rune V2
    Nice ride! How do you like the Conti Baron on the rear?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by silent assassin View Post
    How many cables and levers do you have on the bars?
    Too many, But I am interested to see how the remote Fox CTD system works as a whole.

I'm with stupid
    That Rune looks really slack!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    Nice ride! How do you like the Conti Baron on the rear?
    When the trails start to get wet it is my go to rear tire. I love the black chilli compound of the Conti's as it just grips, but allows for pretty decent rolling resistance. It is definitely not the best for hard pack as you really notice the big square knobs! It is pretty light weight for being a solid winter/AM tire. I also like the square edge knobs for techy rocky climbs as they bite really well. The one down side is that they will just not go tubeless!

@ Hitechredneck, Yeah it definitely has a slack HTA (around 65.5 - 66 deg.), and this is with the drop outs in the middle setting, so it can go slacker Despite the slackness the bike climbs really well, but when it is pointed DH it opens up and becomes like a mini DH rig, it inspires so much confidence

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My ride from little different enviroment..

mtbr member
    That will be a fast rig!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

My LaPierre Spicy 516

Here's my new LaPierre Spicy 516 2012. Completely standard, fresh out of the box. Planning on buying XT trailpedals, changing the tires to HansDampf and perhaps buy new handlebars, but I think thats about it.

meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geir View Post
    Here's my new LaPierre Spicy 516 2012. Completely standard, fresh out of the box. Planning on buying XT trailpedals, changing the tires to HansDampf and perhaps buy new handlebars, but I think thats about it.

Wow, that looks great. Especially the matching green on the brakes and the pivots. Kudos!
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast