Thread: Pedals?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Pedals?

So what do you guys run, clipped in or flats?

I have run SPDs for years and years, for the last year I've been on platforms, trying to improve my form.

Wondering what folks are using during races.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Most of the Euro guys (pros anyway) are running clipless. I believe Andrea Bruno was the only one running flats but if I'm not wrong he's switched over to clipless as well. I'd say, as an amateur racer, to race what you're most comfortable in. Go by the course and what the terrain is like and if you feel that it gives you an advantage to run one way or another, go with what feels right. Being that you're run clipless before it shouldn't be a problem for you to go back and forth between the two. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Oh, and to answer the question as to what are folks running, I like SPDs. I'll occasionally throw my flats back on every once in a while for technique practice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I mostly ride flats as the alps are steep and technical but every now and then I clip in just so I can scare the crap out of myself. Also running SPD and DMR v12. The V12' can take a beating, I've broken rocks with those things.

mtbr member
    Clipped in Speedplay's. I don't see many people running flats.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Shimano SPD's.

Have been running old 540's, I have some new XT 780's on the way.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Twenty6 Predators, uber light, super wide and you get to support a small local company that actually makes their own product here on U.S. soil. Customer service is top notch, and there isn't a color on the planet they don't come in. I've raced them all season with 5.10s and haven't slipped a pedal yet. And they use true Enduro bearings. Good stuff... i highly recommend.

Disclaimer: they sponsor me but they truly are amazing..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm somewhat new to racing, but not riding. Have done 2 Super D races so far this season with a good chunk of races coming in January and February. Finished 2nd in the first race and 1st in the second race.

Most, if not all the riders that I saw were running clipless, and after two races on platforms I now know why. I've been using platforms from the beginning, and never saw a reason to go to clipless. Well lets just say racing is completely different then shredding your local trails by yourself. Every second counts, and any lost speed results in added seconds. With this being said, clipless will give you more power out of the gate, out of the turns, and just pedaling in general. When using platforms your pedal power is on and off, whereas with clipless the power is constant. Sticking to my platforms have never been an issue, but I do find it easier to pedal with clipless through rough sections. I find shock tunning is the main culprit of pedal kick on more rough trails causing your foot to loose grip. Suspension tuning is key.

I now run clipless and have been riding with them for about two weeks now. Trying to get comfortable with them by the next race and can already see the benefits.

Racing Super D has brought to light two very important parts on the bike that are needed: an adjustable seatpost and clipless pedals.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been using wellgo mg1 for some time already and pretty happy with them. Cheap and quality product imho.
    Nicolai Helius AFR frame size L for sale.

mtbr member
    Two years ago I finally got a 160 mm full squish bike I could race Super D/Enduro on as that segment of the sport really caught my eye. I came off a hardtail xc bike and had been running clips since I started riding 16 years prior. In attempting to run my old cips with the new bike and get used to how it rode I was finding it really difficult to get comfortable and confident. After riding a hardtail for so many years it really takes a new approach to adapt to how you should ride a full suspension bike. I opted to make life simpler and just start riding flats with the new bike. There is no doubt that two full years on flats have made me a better rider overall and a better bike handler. That being said, the 3 Super D/Enduro races I've competed in since have all seen the most competitive and fastest guys riding clips. Now that I am comfortable with both, I'm going to start running clips again to hopefully get more competitive. Hoping to set them up similar to how Fabian Barel in order to get the best of both worlds. I'm thinking I will still throw the flats back on for skill and training occasionally.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    Two years ago I finally got a 160 mm full squish bike I could race Super D/Enduro on as that segment of the sport really caught my eye. I came off a hardtail xc bike and had been running clips since I started riding 16 years prior. In attempting to run my old cips with the new bike and get used to how it rode I was finding it really difficult to get comfortable and confident. After riding a hardtail for so many years it really takes a new approach to adapt to how you should ride a full suspension bike. I opted to make life simpler and just start riding flats with the new bike. There is no doubt that two full years on flats have made me a better rider overall and a better bike handler. That being said, the 3 Super D/Enduro races I've competed in since have all seen the most competitive and fastest guys riding clips. Now that I am comfortable with both, I'm going to start running clips again to hopefully get more competitive. Hoping to set them up similar to how Fabian Barel in order to get the best of both worlds. I'm thinking I will still throw the flats back on for skill and training occasionally.
    I come from a similar background regarding the hardtail, and I, too, made the transition to full squish with flat pedals. I was amazed to see my skills progress and continue to switch back and forth between the two (though I race exclusively with clipless). Regarding the Fabien Barel setup, I tried it without much success. I found that coming from a long history of riding clipless, my pedal stroke was already set up with me using the balls of my feet against the pedal interface. Setting up my clipless pedals with the cleats nearer the heel of my shoes (like Fabien does) I felt "soggy" as if I was loosing too much power and not gaining enough handling benefit. Also, I felt like I was unable to dip my heels and use much of my calves, providing a much harsher ride throughout. That being said, definitely give it a go and see how you like it. After all, he's a World Champ and I'm just some schmuck on the internet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm all about the new shimano trail pedals. I've been on the xt's since they were released. No real difference from the top end xtr ones.
    Matt

No known cure
    I've never used flats in a Super D race, but would consider them for a course like Bootleg Canyon where you might need to get away from the bike quick in case you find yourself going sideways over a ledge.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales