mtbr member
    Jun 2005

an old 2004 Cannondale Gemini as an Enduro racer?

I got a Gemini frame and a domain fork (160mm) that I'm thinking about to build it for "enduro racing" maybe set it it up as 1x10 and a x fusion, HILO seat post.... what kind of weight range should I aim for?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Contagious Xian
    Low thirties or high twenties???

think
    Jul 2008
    How light? It's racing. It should be as light as you can reasonably make it while maintaining sufficient performance and durability. In other words it can't be too light, but it can be too expensive, too fragile, or not work well. But not too light.

In enduro racing a pound won't make or break you but a mechanical pretty much ends your day on the spot. First and foremost make sure that your setup is durable enough to hold up to your riding. Then concentrate on eliminating needless heft starting with rotating weight. As a rough goal I would try to keep it under 34 pounds. Under 32 is good, and anything under 30 while maintaining excellent durability and function is great.

derp
    It depends on your goals, riding skills and weight. I race with a few different bikes depending on the race but they're all in the 26~28lbs range but i'm fairly light and don't mash the bike so i can get away with some ligther components.

I don't see any problem riding with a Gemini or any other other bike really other than full DH bikes or super lightweight XC bikes, use what you have. You might not be the fastest down the course but you'll have no problems riding it.

Fortunately in Enduro it's more about getting the job done and be as fast as you can to finish the race and less about arguing wether your bike has 4 or 6'' of travel or if it's too light or too heavy
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    I actually just sold a 2004 Gemini DH and a Gemini 2000 that I had set up as my AM/FR bike. They are great bikes and would be absolutely perfect for an enduro. I had the DH running around 40lbs and the 2000 right at 36lbs. The 2000 was very pedalable for short to medium distances and the ability to change the travel three different lengths was great.

Go for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dras View Post
    I actually just sold a 2004 Gemini DH and a Gemini 2000 that I had set up as my AM/FR bike. They are great bikes and would be absolutely perfect for an enduro. I had the DH running around 40lbs and the 2000 right at 36lbs. The 2000 was very pedalable for short to medium distances and the ability to change the travel three different lengths was great.

Go for it.
    thanks bro'! I got this frame sitting in the garage and is worthless to sale, so I decided to use every "old part" that I have to build it.... we'll see what comes out of it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would agree with others, its totally workable.

Hell, at the recent Snowmass Enduro, a young kid on a carbon hard tail placed 4th overall in pro mens if memory serves me. Granted the race format wasn't your traditional Enduro format, where some stages included timing the climbs, but I think its more about the rider's skill-set/athleticism and the right balance of durability, weight, and performance of the bike underneath them IMHO.

Go for it, ride it, race it, learn it, and make adjustments along the way... its a process

/getting no work done this morning