mtbr member

A new tire for enduro & trail?

Currently running a Kenda Nevegal 26x2.35 DTC on the rear. Looking for something that grips just as well in all conditions, but with a touch lower rolling resistance. Tried a Kenda Slant Six 26x2.35 DTC but the loss in braking traction & traction in general was a bummer. Thinking of a Kenda Honey Badger 26x2.2 any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Maxxis minion dhr II

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Kenda BBG, Maxxis Minion DHF, Maxxis High Roller, Schwalbe Hans Dampf. The Nevegal is a seriously terrible tire. Almost anything will be better.

mtbr member
    Agreed - Nevegal is one of the worst tires out there.

If you want to improve it's performance you can try cutting every other intermediate cornering knob off. This is not the end all be all fix but atleast you'll get a little bit better cornering bite out of the tire at no cost to you.

mtbr member
    I'm curious to know where & in what conditions some of you guys ride. Here in the northeast, we deal with rocks, roots, hardpack, loose over hardpack, and everything in between. And the only time the Nevegals gave me trouble was in very loose sandy soil. Otherwise they gripped like crazy & were totally predictable. Even used them for enduro racing & loved how they performed.

mtbr member
    Conditions would be good to know. For general all around tires the Hans Dampf in Pacestar compound offers good traction in the rear with lower rolling resistance than the Trailstar version (Trailstar gets destroyed quickly in the rear). I would not run anything less than Trailstar on the front though. Another option is the Conti Trail King in Black Chili compound. Fantastic all around tire with decent rolling resistance.

FYI I have found that the Nevegal is S L O W, but offers very predictable grip characteristics. Not the most grip either, but a decent all around tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am running the Minion DHF Exo front and rear and have really enjoyed them. Jared graves ran that as well for most of the Enduro World Series and sure did well.

Now I know he's an amazing athlete with boat loads of talent, but to be able to run those full races without tire issues says something to their durability in tread and sidewall.

At least in my own experience, they climb well and descend even better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    I am running the Minion DHF Exo front and rear and have really enjoyed them. Jared graves ran that as well for most of the Enduro World Series and sure did well.

Now I know he's an amazing athlete with boat loads of talent, but to be able to run those full races without tire issues says something to their durability in tread and sidewall.

At least in my own experience, they climb well and descend even better.
    We have brutal rocks and thorns and I run Minions. I have tried 2.3 Nevegals, they are OK, Minions are miles better and in every area, Idaho is completely correct.
    I know loads of people who run Nevs, none of them have ever tried Minions. I know loads of people who run minions, they have all tried Nevs and prefer Minions. Personally I like to run Minions front and rear or run something faster on the back depending on the conditions. New TR Minions coming soon, pretty stoked.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Minions front and rear. I just switched to the new minion DHR II in the rear and it's surprising how little rolling resistance it has for the amount of grip. The cornering grip borders on "too much" for the rear if you like your tires to bust loose and drift a bit but once you get used to it it's possible. Running DHF on the front.

I started on Nevegals and you don't realize how much they pale in comparison to other tires until you switch. They are slow rolling and have good grip yes. I had problems with their sidewalls getting destroyed (riding in Northern Utah). I switched to Conti Trail Kings and although they are great, have huge volume and grip I never got fully confident in their hard cornering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Minons DHF and High Roller I on the rear is probably the best tire combo ever. However all my friends have switched over to Schwalbe Mudy Mary's front/Big Betty rear (or BB front and rear) and none of them are going back to Maxxis. I've been married to Maxxis for over ten years now and will be asking for a divorce soon just to try something different. I can say in mud the Dirty Dans are waaaay better than Swampthings.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

Afric Pepperbird

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwyn View Post
    Maxxis minion dhr II
    Ditto or a DHF