mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moab Rocks (or is that Moab Rock$ ?) three-day "XC Enduro" Event

Another kind-of enduro has popped up in Moab.

Moab Rocks - TransRockies Race Series by TransRockies Events

If you hurry and pay before June 30, the entry fee is "only" $400! $500 if you wait.

Is it just me, or is this crazy? It isn't like the promoter is providing shuttles or lift access or anything else outside of timing and the usual minor stuff.

Is this the new normal?

mtbr member
    Hmm, $130 per day seems pretty steep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Hmm, $130 per day seems pretty steep.
    And it goes up to $165 per day on July 1.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Just to clarify, this event is a 3-day mountainbike stage race similar to the Breck-Epic 3-day, Trans-Rockies 3-day, etc. There are timed downhills within the 30-40 mile routes each day. So while racers are going for results in the daily endurance race, there are also timed downhill sections to add another race within the race. So, you could technically win the marathon race and win the timed DH sections on any respective day. As for the price? On par with every other 3-day MTB stage race on the market today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ View Post
    Just to clarify, this event is a 3-day mountainbike stage race similar to the Breck-Epic 3-day, Trans-Rockies 3-day, etc. There are timed downhills within the 30-40 mile routes each day. So while racers are going for results in the daily endurance race, there are also timed downhill sections to add another race within the race. So, you could technically win the marathon race and win the timed DH sections on any respective day. As for the price? On par with every other 3-day MTB stage race on the market today.

You may be shocked to know that the vast majority of riders never win a dime at enduro or any other cycling discipline. So the fact that there are two "contests" is irrelevant to 90% of riders.

Whatever. I hope you find 1000 people to pay you $500 for three days.

BTW, the BME series is 10 days of racing. The series pass was $650. This includes lift tickets, shuttles, lunch every race day, and beer, beer, beer.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I have no affiliation to this event. So I could care less if they fill it or not, or how much they charge. I am just clarifying what the event is, because the previous comments where stating/implying/guessing it was a 3-day enduro race for $400-$500, which it is not. It's more of a 3-day marathon xc event. I came across this post while searching MTBR for event beta, just thought I would help to clarify what the event is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ View Post
    ... just thought I would help to clarify what the event is.
    It's a good clarification for those who may not have dug into the site. Thanks Jeff.

It does however make the price seem overly steep. While it may be on par with some other events, the price of many of those events leaves a lot to be desired and there is a huge range in the cost of different events as well as what you get for the price of entry (food/shelter/shuttle/lift/ferry rides/nothing). For this event the cost seems rather high for what you get (and for the miles of quality singletrack). Don't get me wrong, I love riding at Moab and I've ridden the pavement to access and ride those routes, but for the cost I really do wonder what I'm getting besides the timing (hell, I get that free on Strava)?

We all ride and race for different reasons, and the cost of admission is more or less of an issue for different people - i.e. YMMV

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Moab Rocks (or is that Moab Rock$ ?) three-day "XC Enduro" Event

The price seems on par with other similar events, however I just participated in a Transrockies event, Fernie Enduro, this past weekend and felt it was a poorly organized event with a steep entry fee.
    Almost nothing for prizes-winner received around $100 and there were close to 200 entrants.
    Timing system didn't work-1 stage of 4 didn't get counted at all and another 14 runs were missed.
    Both racers going for Overall (xc) and Enduro on course and starting at same time caused a cluster**** at times.
    Poorly marked and not enough course officials-ie. just as I began to descend stage 3, 5 Joe Public were riding UP the course and didn't get out of the way in time.

Transrockies is a local company and is known as doing these events for a money grab, I mean they are a business so fine, but provides very little back. I won't be doing an event of theirs ever again.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Then I guess BME must be like the Big Lots of bike races then - with a series pass for $650. Funny, they provide timing, shuttling, and what seems to be all the same stuff... but for hundreds of dollars less. Wonder how that can be?

In the end it will shake out and the enduros will be priced at what the market can bear. With Enduro being promoted as an "everyman's race", $500 seems a bit high.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Cool idea. Too bad about the long paved/dirt road climbs to get to the timed sections for the Enduro race. I don't have a problem with them requiring the climbs up to the timed sections... just too bad the trail possibilities don't allow for some nice singletrack climbs.

It looks to me like there are two separate races running at the same time on the same course: An endurance XC three day stage race (timed on the whole route) and a three stage Enduro race with timed downhill sections after the untimed climbs.

You pick which race you're doing when you sign up..... is that right?

It does seem a bit pricey but even $100 for BME and $80 for Enduro Cup single day races sounds like a lot to me.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I believe entry to the Breck Epic 6 day event is about $1,000.

A buddy of mine who is registered and is also a owner/promoter of a local race series here in Utah told me that he doubts the promoters of the Breck Epic will turn a profit and will likely be lucky to break even due to the logistics involved in pulling off such a race.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    It does seem a bit pricey but even $100 for BME and $80 for Enduro Cup single day races sounds like a lot to me.
    Had a blast at Fears, Tears, and Beers this year, but honestly you guys should be charging more for that one...

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Then I guess BME must be like the Big Lots of bike races then - with a series pass for $650. Funny, they provide timing, shuttling, and what seems to be all the same stuff... but for hundreds of dollars less. Wonder how that can be?

In the end it will shake out and the enduros will be priced at what the market can bear. With Enduro being promoted as an "everyman's race", $500 seems a bit high.
    It depends on what the consumer is looking for. Some people want convenience, and a one day race. Some people want to race "epic" terrain, over multiple days.

The price differences boil down to logistics. A one day race, like the BME races, start and end at the same spot: the base of the mountain. A multi-day race requires the race organizer to move the logistics/support train (housing, food, medical staff) in front of the racers, so they are there when people finish. A pretty significant, and costly, undertaking.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    It depends on what the consumer is looking for. Some people want convenience, and a one day race. Some people want to race "epic" terrain, over multiple days.

The price differences boil down to logistics. A one day race, like the BME races, start and end at the same spot: the base of the mountain. A multi-day race requires the race organizer to move the logistics/support train (housing, food, medical staff) in front of the racers, so they are there when people finish. A pretty significant, and costly, undertaking.
    You might be confused - BME races are not one day events, and they do provide epic terrain over a couple days. You can read about them here: Series Info - Big Mountain Enduro Series

The BME Moab stages will span two days and consist of several stages that do not start/end at the same point. Currently, it costs $150 for two days racing, vs. $150 per DAY for three days @ the Moab Rocks event. What convenience is the Moab Rocks race offering that BME does not - other than one more day of racing? Doesn't seem like much...

Just seems a bit overpriced, but they're the promoters = their prerogative. I'll stay with BME.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website