mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Looking for a new bike

I'm looking to replace my Transition dirtbag with a new bike and at the same time Im looking at getting into Enduro racing next season up here in the NW. I'll be racing some of the Oregon series as well as the few that are popping up around Seattle and Bellingham. I've been on the fence as to which direction to go and I would love some advice.

So far I've been looking at some sound options but almost everyone has a 6"+ ripper and a 5" trail bike. Im a bit more of an aggressive rider and I like steeper, technical terrain but on the same hand, Im looking for something that pedals well also. My dirtbag is in the 40lb+ range with a 1x9 drivetrain. It makes it up but it's a lot of work and not raceable.

Here's my list so far:
    Banshee Rune
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Trek Slash
    Pivot Firebird
    Transition Covert (new model is 160mm travel)

On the flip side, if I would be better suited to a more trail style bike for racing then these are tops:
    Banshee Spitfire
    Knolly Endorphin
    Trek Remedy
    Pivot Mach 5.7
    Transition Covert (old model?)

I know there are lot's of other options and I welcome the input on them as well but I'm much more interested in opinions and ride feedback from these in particular. All but Trek and Pivot are local companies to the NW which I really dig but that's not super important. Also carbon is cool, but not really in the budget for this bike so please limit to aluminum models.

Thanks
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    - Dr Seuss

mtbr member
    One vote for the Firebird. Mine handles everything the PNW has to offer. I raced the High Cascade 24 last summer on It and it was great. It's a great climber and better descender. It will handle a fork from 160-180, depending on what you want.

There are lots of great bikes in this category now. Good luck

No known cure
    At the Ashland Enduro, there were alot of Giantrekalized, SC Nomads, Blur LTs, and alot of Ibis Mojos. I'm happy with 5.5 inch travel Ventana and the new gen will probably be my next bike, but I haven't had the chance to ride a Knolly Endo.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As you mentioned that you ride agressive and like steep & technical, I would say that you need something that is slack on HTA and low on BB height. Pedalling efficiency depends much on the linkage design and/or shock setup. Weight is also one thing, but I'd say that not as big as the pedalling efficiency, especially if/when you are not in a hurry pedalling up the hill...

From the bikes you listed, Banshee Rune(v2) is probably the most interesting one, lots of adjustability, good geometry and pedalling efficiency should be very good. Chilcotin probably the next one.

I have the Covert v2 now and it has been really good rig for trail riding and enduro racing. Rear suspension is very plush and active(with DHX air 5.0) but the pedalling efficiency isn't that good. New version would have a bit better pedalling efficency, lower BB and some minor changes in geometry. However, my next bike is not going to be covert, looking for a bit different geometry(longer TT, slacker HTA) and more pedalling efficiency...

Pivot FB is I think quite OK pedaller, but tad a bit on heavy side and HTA could be slacker...

One bike that was missing on your list, also from nearby you(?), is the 2013 Norco Range Killer-B. It is with 650b wheels, but otherwise smart geometry, good looks and should be efficient pedaller. The 2012 model has different geometry and thus not quite as good(not as efficient and high-ish BB).

I'd go for the Rune v2, second option Chilcotin, third Range Killer-B...

PS. Check here some nice collection of geometry for AM bikes: AM/Enduro Geometry

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You aren't going to need or want a lot of bike for the Oregon series. Probably the three most winning bikes are the Santa Cruz TRC, Giant Anthem 29/Trance 29, and the Stumpjumper. I believe Lopes raced a Mojo SL both times he raced the series. Sure, you'll see lots of bigger bikes, but they generally aren't under the super fast guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm glad to hear from some of you who have raced the Oregon series. I was having a hard time finding info on what was being ridden, particularly on the podium for that series. I didn't make it to any races at all this year and any more feedback from local courses would be greatly appreciated.

Also thanks Verttii for the link. Lots of good info on the other thread.

I've been staring at the numbers primarily since many of the frames Im looking at are 2013 models and are hard to find so far. The only one I've been able to actually ride is the slash. It rides great but something that has really been bothering me is the seat tube angle. It's listed everywhere at 75* which seems really really steep to me. It's steeper than most road bikes even. It felt a little odd on demo but the dropper post kept it from being much of an issue. Anyone have a good idea as to why it's so steep?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    - Dr Seuss

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

mtbr member
    FWIW I have a Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon. With dropper post it weighs in at 27lbs and that include a heavy seat and heavy wheels. I came from a Fuel EX8 which is a great bike, but the Pivot just rips. I've never raced Enduro, but want to in the future (I primarily race road crits) and I think this will eb a good machine for the job.

Cheers

Rob

mtbr member
    Like others have said, ligter, good pedalling 5-5.5" bikes rule Enduros.

If you want one (non-carbon) that is also quite capable in the steeper, aggressive chunk think about the Turner 5 Spot, Knolly Endorphin (although the old one is heavy), Intense Tracer, Transition Covert, Banshee Spitfire, or GT Sanction.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-05-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Ride Utah
    Jan 2012
    You should check out Fezzari. I just bought their Nebo Peak with 6" of suspension. I pedals like a pro a descends even better. Plus, they direct to the buyer so their prices are unbeatable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ran some of the Oregon series this year with a Giant Reign X1 and it was plenty of bike. Most of the pro's were on light almost XC bikes. I seen a lot of Giant trance, reign, spec stumpjumpers, enduros, SC nomads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Which would be better? A stumpjumper carbon evo or carbon enduro. I would say the enduro but i also do some climbing where i ride. I beleive stock they are only a half pound different. .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Between those two I think it would come down to component spec because if I remember the stumpy evo has more travel similar to the enduro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I don't know that you could go wrong with:

Transition Covert
    Yeti SB66
    Knolly Chilcotin

For pedaling up and ripping down I think these three really set themselves apart from the market. Each has a unique fit and that's what I would use to make my decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jredling View Post
    Which would be better? A stumpjumper carbon evo or carbon enduro. I would say the enduro but i also do some climbing where i ride. I beleive stock they are only a half pound different. .
    For enduro racing I'd go with the Stumpy. The Enduro is too much bike for 99% of the enduros out there (Seems counterintuitive, no?). Think shorter travel, light but capable trail bike: Stumpy Carbon.

Edit: The new Enduro Expert Carbon is quite light (lighter than my 5 inch race mount) and with the new more pedal friendly rear end may actually be a great option for enduro racing.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Knolly Chilcotin

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was looking hard at the chilcotin, but I was thinking maybe the endorphin instead to get a lighter rig. The chil sits around 33lbs built well and the endo around 29. Not a huge difference but maybe enough. Plus I'm getting a full dh rig this year as well and I dont want too much overlap in my stable.
    - Dr Seuss

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios Racing View Post
    I was looking hard at the chilcotin, but I was thinking maybe the endorphin instead to get a lighter rig. The chil sits around 33lbs built well and the endo around 29. Not a huge difference but maybe enough. Plus I'm getting a full dh rig this year as well and I dont want too much overlap in my stable.
    This. You've hit the nail on the head. The new Endorphin should be a great enduro/Super D mount. Knolly knows how to make a bike that goes downhill well and the endo can be built up in the 26-27 lb range without too much trouble. Plus you know it's going to be tough as nails.

Go Endo, especially if you're getting a full-on DH rig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Try the Yeti SB

I am selling my Yeti SB size small the has been used for about nine months I can get you a pretty good deal if you are interested. But I think it is a great race bike, I am using the money for knee surgery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a new bike-frame.jpg