mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Lets talk about Enduro training

What is your training structure? I've seen anything from road riding and trainer work for intervals to strength and yoga. What training regiment do you like?

If you have limited time to train what is the best way to get the most bang for the buck needed to race Enduro?

mtbr member
    Many good ideas in this recent thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks OMB. There seemed to be a common theme of intervals and bike handling in that thread. The ability to keep sustained efforts and actually handle the bike in control descending. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    After finishing my 1st enduro race a month or so ago I would suggest starting with 1 minute interval sprints with the goal of sustanied 2-3 minute sustained sprints. That & A bunch of riding...

I've never been so tired from sprinting downhill.....and the uphills sucked too...

I would also suggest eating plenty of banana's or taking some mag-phos 6x along with you, I began getting some quad cranks on the 3rd stage, every time I'd stand and hammer they got tight.

Also I would highly suggest GNC Ultra Fuel for a not great tasting but energy packed drink mixture. It kept me going throughout the entire day.

I did the Capital Forest enduro, placed 7th in sport class having never ridden the trails and we didnt eat anything aside from breakfast the entire day... not ideal but hey whatever. I did little training and had a busy off the bike summer... Next year I shall train and win!

mtbr member
    I started the original thread and can tell you what has been working for me.

First off Strava. I know it sounds weird, but I imported all of my historical Garmin data back to 2009 and found that I was not riding nearly as much as I thought. My focus has been on miles/hours in the saddle and have gone from an average of 2.5 hours per week to 7 hours per week. With 5 kids and a very demanding job I think my max is going to be around 10 hour per week.

Second, I have been focusing on sprinting every 30-120 second climb on my rides with active recovery afterwards meaning I continue to ride at a moderate pace. No stopping to rest after charging the hills. I cannot stand riding the spin bike indoors and so this has been what works for me. There is a noticeable difference in my ability to get up an over the sharp climbs in the middle of the courses.

Third I have cut out robot food. No more PowerBars, Cliff Bars, protein bars etc. I was using these as a meal replacement and have switched to bananas, nuts, etc. All of the stomach cramping problems I had in the past during high intensity riding have gone away. I do still use Honey Stinger waffles on my rides.

Fourth has been a focus on fueling during my rides. I now make sure that I have something every 45-60 minutes during my rides. Doesn't have to be big, but there is a difference in my ability to do repeated efforts over a 2.5 hour ride which is the typical enduro here in Socal. My favorites are Skratch Labs SDM and the previously mentioned Honey Stinger waffles.

Bike handling has never been an issue for me, so my main area of improvement is fitness. Hope that helps.