mtbr member

KALI Spring Enduro, Weaverville, CA. May 26

As with all events from Team Bigfoot this one is just a bit different. This one is about determining the most all-around rider, with equal emphasis on climbing, descending and speed. Racers must use the same bicycle for all three events.

Stage #1. Cross Country. 5.5 miles. For this mass start event the course heads out the rear of Trinity High School, drops down the infamous "Cork Screw" and then does a lap of the new 4.7 mile singletrack, "McKenzie Loop."
    Start Times: 10:00 am Expert Pro, 10:01 am Sport, 10.02 am Beginner

Stage #2. Hill Climb. 3-miles 1,300 feet of elevation gain with an average grade of 8%. This mass start event head up Weaver Bally road, a wide fireroad that's mostly hardpack dirt, but with a few sections of gravel. The start times are spread out my category to give all racers a little time to recover from the Cross Country stage.
    Start Times: 11:00 am Expert Pro,11:10 am Sport,11:20 am Beginner

Stage #3. Super-D. 8-miles 1,300 feet of elevation drop. The final stage is an individual time trial. After finishing the hill climb riders may take some time to recover before getting lined up for the Super-D. Depending on the number of riders we'll use 30-second or 60-second intervals.

SUPER ENDURO:To give the toughest racers their own game of
    "Quien es Mas Macho?" we offer the Super Enduro for riders who race Saturday's 6 Hours of Weaverville and the 3 stages of Sunday's Enduro. First place medals will be awarded in all categories based on the combined time of a rider's fastest 2 laps on Saturday plus all 3 stages on Sunday.

KALI Spring Enduro

mtbr member

Kali spring enduro prize list

KALI SPRING ENDURO PRIZE LIST
    May 26, Weaverville, CA.
    Our good friends at KALI are kicking down a great prize list. The fastest man and woman in each event will each win a Kali helmet, and in the Super-D in addition to winning a helmet the fastest man and woman will also win a set of Kali knee/shin guards and a set of Kali elbow guards. And to give everyone a chance at the prize bounty we'll hold our usual Team Bigfoot prize raffle --- the better your overall result the more chances you have to win cool stuff from Kali, ODI Grips, Rock N Roll Lube, Bien Padre, Sock Guy & more.

KALI Spring Enduro, Weaverville, CA. May 26-kaliamarahelmet-0.jpg

mtbr member
    Damn! That's the same weekend as the Hood River Enduro of the Oregon Enduro Series.
    Maybe next year...

mtbr member

Spring is a great time to be in Weaverville!

It's just over a month away! KALI Spring Enduro, Weaverville, CA. May 26-_dsc8435.jpg
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I will be there from southern Oregon if anyone wants to caravan down I-5.

mtbr member
    KALI Spring Enduro, Weaverville, CA. May 26-_dsc8061.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM6fw1P8Mvw

Is this video the DH course that the enduro is going to track?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM6fw1P8Mvw

Is this video the DH course that the enduro is going to track?
    Parts of that video are the course. But that's the general flavor of the course. We're using a slightly different variation of the Super-D course we'd used for other events and I'm guessing that the fastest times will be around 28 minutes.

mtbr member
    I really wish we would had more European enduro style events in California. Just like the boggs enduro, this clearly favors roadie type cardio over bike skills. Hill climb for an "enduro event". I don't get it.

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I really wish we would had more European enduro style events in California. Just like the boggs enduro, this clearly favors roadie type cardio over bike skills. Hill climb for an "enduro event". I don't get it.
    LMAO. High posters have to think they are good at something. I just looked through the Boggs podium photos and saw a lot of guys who were out at Endor the weekend prior.

The same guys on the podium were the ones pedaling through the pump rollers, skidding through berms and well doing things that made me laugh and cry at the same time.

Northstar opens soon and I'm spending 13 nights at Whistler. The part I'm really looking forward to is riding with guys who have some skill riding a bike. Outside of the lift served venues you will just be disappointed.

mtbr member
    I'm not trying to clown the lycra crowd, but that is clearly the crowd these type of "enduro" events are catered too. While this is just my opinion, I think a good enduro event is comprised of downhill stages, that test a rider's bike handling skills as well as cardio- oh yah, you certainly wouldn't be able to win an enduro event on a 29er hardtail either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I'm not trying to clown the lycra crowd, but that is clearly the crowd these type of "enduro" events are catered too. While this is just my opinion, I think a good enduro event is comprised of downhill stages, that test a rider's bike handling skills as well as cardio- oh yah, you certainly wouldn't be able to win an enduro event on a 29er hardtail either.
    Question 1--have you ever ridden in Weaverville? I have many times and see very few roadies at this race compared to most other XC races.

I love the design of this race--it is best all around rider! Why would you have an issue with a hill climb? It stops people from bringing 7" travel 40 pounds bikes to the Super D. It is 1 bike for all 3 stages.

Question 2: Who cares what bike someone brings??? It is run what you brung. You think you can perform well on a rigid singlespeed. More power to you. If a 29er is your thing--bring it.

Question 3: Win? Do you actually enter a race to win? The only people I know that do that are either cat 1 rider or are 17 yo. These type of events are all about the experience and camaraderie.

Question 4: Why knock someone else's race? It is a great promoter and a great race.

Just my $.02 . . .

Levi Early
    I am entered into this race. I ran the downhill about 12 years ago. Its been a toss up on what bike to bring. My trek scratch that I rebuilt to be an all mountain bike or the rigid salsa mukluk. the fat bike would be great on the xc and hill climb but be a bit harsh on the downhill. Decisions decisions lol

mtbr member
    I'm not saying this is a bad event by any means, but if you're going to have an "enduro" event, it would be nice if it followed the format that the Europeans made popular, which is focused on timed downhill stages, not XC races or hill climbs. SuperEnduro in Italy follows this format, so does TransProvence, and to my knowledge so does the California Enduro Series, Oregon Enduro Series, and Big Mountain Enduro. Id like to see more of these Enduro type events in NorCal.

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by OregonMTB View Post
    Question 1--have you ever ridden in Weaverville? I have many times and see very few roadies at this race compared to most other XC races.

I love the design of this race--it is best all around rider! Why would you have an issue with a hill climb? It stops people from bringing 7" travel 40 pounds bikes to the Super D. It is 1 bike for all 3 stages.

Question 2: Who cares what bike someone brings??? It is run what you brung. You think you can perform well on a rigid singlespeed. More power to you. If a 29er is your thing--bring it.

Question 3: Win? Do you actually enter a race to win? The only people I know that do that are either cat 1 rider or are 17 yo. These type of events are all about the experience and camaraderie.

Question 4: Why knock someone else's race? It is a great promoter and a great race.

Just my $.02 . . .
    Call it a stage race, not an enduro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Call it a stage race, not an enduro?

"As with all events from Team Bigfoot this one is just a bit different. This one is about determining the most all-around rider, with equal emphasis on climbing, descending and speed. Racers must use the same bicycle for all three events."

mtbr member
    I like the format, can't wait to ride some of that great single track

mtbr member
    PERFECT WEATHER IN STORE!
    How's sunny and high 70's sound? Oh yeah! 10 Day Weather Forecast for Weaverville - weather.com

mtbr member
    Best of luck with the event. It would be awesome to see you guys put on a n enduro race up north that follows the the format of the enduro World Series!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

LMAO. High posters have to think they are good at something. I just looked through the Boggs podium photos...
    LMAO. It works both ways...Low posters have to think they are good at something too. (Fwiw it's worth I used a seat dropper for all 3 days in the Pro field at Boggs.) What categories are you looking at?

The part I'm really looking forward to is riding with guys who have some skill riding a bike. Outside of the lift served venues you will just be disappointed.
    Going to disagree with you on that one. At the top end, you might be surprised.

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    LMAO. It works both ways...Low posters have to think they are good at something too. (Fwiw it's worth I used a seat dropper for all 3 days in the Pro field at Boggs.) What categories are you looking at?

Going to disagree with you on that one. At the top end, you might be surprised.
    Use the dropper post on the hill climb?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Use the dropper post on the hill climb?
    Had it on the bike? Yes (I used the same bike and same setup all 3 days). Actually "use" it during the hill climb? Well no of course not.

In general I agree with you...these events are probably more "stage race" than "Enduro" but nomenclature aside...why knock it?

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Had it on the bike? Yes (I used the same bike and same setup all 3 days). Actually "use" it during the hill climb? Well no of course not.

In general I agree with you...these events are probably more "stage race" than "Enduro" but nomenclature aside...why knock it?
    It is the delusion of being something that doesn't really exist.

IMHO Northern California's gravity culture and even our mountain bike culture in general isn't very healthy. Pretending that we are something we are not does not acknowledge the reality.

How many legitimate pump tracks are in Northern California? How many bike parks? XC races at the world cup level are seeing "advanced" features. Just like at the Olympics, which also had a gap jump. One athlete that I have had a very, very small influence on was able to ride the drop. I'd like to think because of the new trail at Tamarancho - but we were not allowed to build a progressive drop section.

Another, from NORCAL, was not able to ride this drop and lost a lot of time riding the B line.

Prediction:

The Euro's are taking their parks, pump tracks and race courses to a new level and unless we as mountain bikers accept and acknowledge our weaknesses we wont be competitive outside of of our own little backwoods format.

Tour de Pump - GSTAAD Scott Hits Up Sweet Pumptracks - News Blogs - Vital MTB

Hillclimbs exclude the largest growth segment potential of the sport.

I say all this as a former XC racer.

P.S. sorry if I offended you.