mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Jumping in Enduro?

Hi guys, I have been riding for a few years and have always been into all-mountain, enduro riding. I had to race mostly XC during high school so I never really raced enduro or really rode the discipline that I loved. Now it's been about 7 months since I have ridden consistently I needed a break and now I want to to get back in and start racing some Enduro. I am trading out my bike and getting a jekyll for some better descending capabilities. My question lies in training, I know well how to train endurance and fitness etc. I have always been decent at technical terrain corners, but I have always been terrified of drops and jumps. And I know this is something I will need for enduro. I can do small gap jumps, and drops up to 3 feet about but more than that and I just get sketched out. Does anyone know any mental techniques or ways of practicing to where I can work up to the bigger stuff. Sorry if this question is a little vague, just curious how everyone else got over the fear of being in the AIR. haa

Thanks,
    Thomas

mtbr member
    Invest in some (or rent) protective gear (Full face, knee pads, etc) and go to a bike park and take a clinic.

Also, if you have local dirt jumps, see if they have an beginner/intermediate line and go ride them...you don't need a dirt jump bike to have fun and learn a lot.

The key is progression. Work on smaller stuff until you can do it comfortably and smoothly. Then keep pushing onto bigger things. Ride with people who are better than you and have more skills.

Just be smart about it, sure you might land that sketchy, big drop on your local shuttle run, but don't go way out of your comfort zone. That leads to broken bike and people parts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
    Invest in some (or rent) protective gear (Full face, knee pads, etc) and go to a bike park and take a clinic.

Also, if you have local dirt jumps, see if they have an beginner/intermediate line and go ride them...you don't need a dirt jump bike to have fun and learn a lot.

The key is progression. Work on smaller stuff until you can do it comfortably and smoothly. Then keep pushing onto bigger things. Ride with people who are better than you and have more skills.

Just be smart about it, sure you might land that sketchy, big drop on your local shuttle run, but don't go way out of your comfort zone. That leads to broken bike and people parts.
    Thanks for the advice! I do ride with a lot of people who are not quicker than me, but push the envelope on jumps so I got that part down. I think you are right about progression. Come summer I'm going to be hitting the local bike park a bit to work on that. Also working on some small jumps on my property that I can build up over time. I think part of my problem is I have had bad crashes on both drops and jumps from pushing it to hard. It's kind of mental.

mtbr member

Jumping in Enduro?

It might be best to invest in some coaching. A good coach will teach proper jumping skills as well as the mental skills to approach intimidating obstacles with confidence and composure. These two different skill sets will definitely help you out with your jumping issues and will surely help you out with more general riding and racing as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hartwerks View Post
    It might be best to invest in some coaching. A good coach will teach proper jumping skills as well as the mental skills to approach intimidating obstacles with confidence and composure. These two different skill sets will definitely help you out with your jumping issues and will surely help you out with more general riding and racing as well.
    Yeah I have a friend I'm going to ask to teach me some techniques. It's kind of weird I have no trouble hitting some gnar technical rocky lines, even some steep switchbacks I'll rail, it's being off the ground that intimidates me almost exclusively. But for racing I know what you mean, being strong and confident is important.

mtbr member

Jumping in Enduro?

Right on. I'd also second the idea of spending some time on dirt jumps if you can. Definitely learn to jump using flat pedals; not so much because you might have to bail suddenly, but because it will teach you to do it properly. If you can jump well on flat pedals it feels so easy when you clip in it's like cheating.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hartwerks View Post
    Right on. I'd also second the idea of spending some time on dirt jumps if you can. Definitely learn to jump using flat pedals; not so much because you might have to bail suddenly, but because it will teach you to do it properly. If you can jump well on flat pedals it feels so easy when you clip in it's like cheating.
    Yeah I agree, that's kinda my logic on learning mountain biking in general. Flat is how you really get form and flow, then you clip in and BOOM your 20 times more confident. I'll have to find some good dirt jumps in my area, I'll be on that as soon as I'm better!

mtbr member
    build your own jump.

hit it over and over again.

once you get comfortable.

make it bigger

repeat.

do this everyday. you will be hitting big jumps comfortably in no time.
    Ride fast. Take chances.

www.stinride.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post
    build your own jump.

make it bigger

repeat.

I like this idea. As soon as I get my Jekyll I'll start this, I've already got a small jump built.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post
    build your own jump.

make it bigger

repeat.

great advice. i think a tabletop would be good to learn on and is forgiving.
    once you get comfortable jumping you add a third axis when you choose your line.

mtbr member

Jumping in Enduro?

Coaching is definetly what I would recommend. I felt ok on natural jumps but anything man made with a lip really threw me off. I had some private lessons from an ex pro DH guy and it made all the difference. Having someone who knows and can teach ( those two don't always go hand in hand ) that can give immediate feedback is huge. If your riding clips, change to flats so you can better learn proper technique and feel more comfortable being able to bail out if needed.

mtbr member
    I can't agree enough with learning to do jumps and drops on flats. I rode clipless 2 years before I switched to flats for 2014 and it's been like learning to ride all over again. That said I'm slowly getting my confidence up, and I know I'll be a better overall rider for making the switch. I've had lots of bad habits to break (e.g. pulling with legs on jumps) so be willing to spend some time on the flats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah I need to get myself a pair of good flats, they sound like the way to go for learning to jump, I learned most of my riding on flats actually just never really did jumping. It would be good for me to get back on them again i think.