mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hydration pack that stays put?

I hate hydration packs but sometimes they are necessary. Which minimalistic ones stay put when throwing the bike around?

Robertson
    I have a USWE pack with their "no dancing monkey" strap system. Looks funky, but it works very well in stabillzing the pack, even when ripping through berms at Mach 1. Cannot recommend it enough

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I use the Camelbak Volt LR. It holds 100oz and has the water down low in the lumbar region. I've used it for a few years now. I really like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Which model USWE? That harness system gets good press so I think I'll go for one ...smallest one that can still carry a mini pump. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was able to check out the Volt at my LBS. Not sure I would dig the wrap around waist pockets for racing. Also dont have any back problems so small, secure and cool are bigger factors. The Volt is at the top of my list for my next all day pack though. Thanks for your input!

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Which model USWE? That harness system gets good press so I think I'll go for one ...smallest one that can still carry a mini pump. Thoughts?
    I have the F4, which is pretty small but still holds a 3L bladder. The F3 is even smaller and could probably carry a mini pump.

smartass
    I'm wearing the USWE F3, and it holds all the essentials for a short-mid length ride. The 2L bladder is the main limitation on longer rides. Otherwise, I can fit a tube, patch kit, tire lever, multi tool, and a bar or two in the outer pocket. There's a small inner pocket inside the bladder compartment where I keep a derailleur hanger, master link, and my car key. I've attached a mini pump to the outside of the pack using the compression straps, but a smaller pump would fit in the bladder compartment.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I was able to check out the Volt at my LBS. Not sure I would dig the wrap around waist pockets for racing. Also dont have any back problems so small, secure and cool are bigger factors. The Volt is at the top of my list for my next all day pack though. Thanks for your input!
    They also have a smaller (in every way) 70oz version. I use one for cooler weather and racing. The side pockets are awesome for food, and pretty much eliminate the need to get into the main part of the pack.