mtbr member
    Feb 2013

A Hard Way Of Training

I came up with an interesting way to train that really kicks you in to shape. I decided to run a 1x set up on my bike but I am only running a 8 speed 11-32 cassette in the rear with a 32 ring up front. This really makes you work on steep climbs and tires out the legs quick. I am going to try running this set up for a few weeks to see how it works in the long run, but as far as I am concerned it will make me that much faster when I throw a 10 speed 11-36 in the rear later in the season!

Let me know what you think of my new training method!

mtbr member
    I rode a 1x9 with 11-34T and 32 in the front for 1 1/2 years on a 37lbs SC Bullit. I ride hilly trails and if I pushed myself too hard on uphills my legs would turn to lead before I got much of a ride in. On a lighter and more pedally bike you will probably be okay.

You could always just force yourself to use a higher gear and pedal harder rather than downgrade your bike from 10spd to 8spd.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Single Speed is THE training tool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    1x9/10/11 are great bike set ups. Last year I went 36 x 11-34 and this year I am going 34x11-34 just to save some energy while climbing. Your legs will adapt fairly quickly and you will never go back. The granny is nice for the beginning of the season but that fades quickly.

I do not think a single speed is a good training tool because it limits your ability to go faster. Just run a 1x with the lowest gearing being what your ss set up would be and then you have some pedals under you for when things point down.

mtbr member
    I would suggest that you just go 36T on the front with the 11-36 in the rear. Accomplishes the same thing which is 1x1 gearing, but you get more top end. Once you start riding it you will not go back to the 32x11-36. Should take about 2 weeks to adjust.

dwt
    mtbr member

A Hard Way Of Training

Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post

I do not think a single speed is a good training tool because it limits your ability to go faster. Just run a 1x with the lowest gearing being what your ss set up would be and then you have some pedals under you for when things point down.
    +1. SS great training if you mostly climb. But spinning out because no top end sucks and can be a miserable waste of time. 1X therefore better overall IMO.

"I ride my bike to ride my bike"- Zen proverb

Posted via iPhone
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Depending on the terrain, I think you might be risking your knees. I start having joint problems long before muscle problems.

Warm up properly. On most trails around here, I can start in my 36 tooth front ring, but I'm able to ride longer and faster if I spend time cross geared in my 22 tooth front ring.

Listen to your body (especially your knees). If you have joint pain or if your muscle pain isn't fading quickly after the 2nd day, then you're risking damage more than you are benefiting.
    Last edited by Gregon2wheels; 04-19-2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Grammer and speeling (:o)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I would suggest that you just go 36T on the front with the 11-36 in the rear. Accomplishes the same thing which is 1x1 gearing, but you get more top end. Once you start riding it you will not go back to the 32x11-36. Should take about 2 weeks to adjust.
    This is the ideal 1x9 setup. I went 1x9 a year after i started riding and never looked back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregon2wheels View Post
    Depending on the terrain, I think you might be risking your knees. I start having joint problems long before muscle problems.

Warm up properly. On most trails around here, I can start in my 36 tooth front ring, but I'm able to ride longer and faster if I spend time cross geared in my 22 tooth front ring.

Listen to your body (especially your knees). If you have joint pain or if your muscle pain isn't fading quickly after the 2nd day, then you're risking damage more than you are benefiting.
    ^^ This.

Add a bike trailer and load it up with bricks for added resistance. Might suck going downhill though....

mtbr member
    Knee problems come from bad cleat setup, not from pushing big gears, the smaller gears mask the problems. I had knee problems when I first switched over, really paid attention to my foot placement and once I got the cleats correct the pain was gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Knee problems come from bad cleat setup, not from pushing big gears, the smaller gears mask the problems. I had knee problems when I first switched over, really paid attention to my foot placement and once I got the cleats correct the pain was gone.
    Knee problems come from orthopedic imperfections, some of which cleat position can wholly or partially correct. Knee problems can be caused by muscle imbalances, congenital problems, earlier injury, etc. Cleats alignment and shims can help a lot with correcting the problem.