Thread: GS a bad idea?

mtbr member

GS a bad idea?

Background - I've done a couple years of XC and endurance racing, but the nosebleed pace for 6+ hours is getting old and I'm having more and more fun flying through the air. I'm planning to do more enduro racing and I have a Mojo HD frame I'll be building up, so I've got options. I'm looking for advice from those of you with a few more years of experience racing this format

2x10, 1x10 or XX1
    I know 2x10 will work fine, but I'd love to ditch the front der.
    1x10 seems like it will work fine on a ride, but I wonder if I'll miss those extra gears in a race format? Any experience?
    XX1 - Seems like plenty of gearing but cassette's are spendy and I'm not sure there are options for using a bash guard.

GS a bad idea?
    On XC I absolutely love the new grip shift. I'll never use triggers again there. However, I wonder if it's just a bad idea for enduro racing where there are more drops and more air time? I don't currently avoid the drops and I do take what little air my weight weenie bike will handle, and in about 5000 miles I've only misshifted twice. Anyone using GS? Is it just a bad idea?

Thanks for the constructive input

mtbr member
    My experience with gearing was dropped chains with 2x10 only during races. My setup was XTR Shadow+ on XTR 40/28. I never had a dropped chain while doing my normal riding, but dropped a chain at least once in 3 of 5 races. I went 1x but even with a 36T up front, I still wanted more top end since I like a low cadence on the flatter sections and I was spinning out at around 28 mph. Ended up on XX1 with a 38T up front and it is perfect. The 38x42 gets me up anything and the top end is around 33 mph which is great.

GS is a personal preference. Personally I would not run it, but if you are used to it go for it.

mtbr member
    Thanks salespunk!

Anyone else out there want to chime in?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think you could use GS if you are accustomed to it. I rode it a long time ago and never had a misshift and I was doing all sorts of jumping (more than the bike ought to have done, really...). I'd imagine it just comes down to keeping your hands from moving in rough terrain, which I've never had a problem with. That said, I like index shifting because unless it's a grunt of a climb, I keep a finger on each brake at all times and like long lever reach.
    So far as the gearing, I'm doing my first enduro race this summer, but in my prep rides I've never fully dropped a chain running 2x10 x9, but I have dropped it from the large to the small ring. I also use my granny gear so little it's essentially pointless though, so I might as well go single.