mtbr member

First super D race bootleg canyon

I'm going to do my first super D race in a few months. I have 2 questions. First has anyone done the bootleg super d, if so do you remember your times and on what trail? I have never raced and am unsure how good I am. Basically I don't want to be dead last by a mile. I'm going up there to ride the trails on the 22 I figure riding there and using strata will give me some sort of guess..... Secondly is this a good idea? I have never raced mtv before but do come from a strong motto background as well as a strong wake boarding background? What was your first race like? Any tips? And at the risk of sounding like a total nerd is super D multiple timed sections or one run? Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Not to sure about super D but I did a few enduros last year. That was my first time doing enduro mtb racing. I come from a MX background myself. It is totally different from racing MX. From my experience not run as well as this is just starting to get launched out east (as they have been doing enduro racing over in europe and out west a few years) there are going to be some growing pains. My suggestion is go out have fun. I didn't want to end up dead last either but as one experienced rider told me the only way you will end up dead last is a mechanical or a crash which someone is bound to do (hopefully not you). You know what he was right lol. As for super D I hear it is usually one timed run. Enduros are multiple runs on different trails "specials" usually with a untimed climb to each special. Every venue does it somewhat differently as there is no sanctioning body, the rules are very loose. My suggestion is try an enduro first it is an all day event. You will get more bang for you buck and you will meet some great people.

mtbr member
    How do your times look on Strava? Are you top 10 on most downhills? Top 20, 30 etc? One of my friends did his first Enduro recently. He wanted to sign up for Beginner until I pointed out that he was beating the top local Pro on a lot of segments. After a lot of coercion he signed up Pro and got second. It would have been a bummer for him to race Beginner since he would have had to pass 6-8 riders per run. Also would have sucked for the true beginners to have a ringer race and discouraged them. If you are a true beginner then sign up there, but be honest about your abilities.

First race was nerve wracking till I got there. Then I talked to a few people who were super cool to me and it was all good. Other racers and the support staff will be happy to help you out, give directions etc.

Super D is a single timed run over a MOSTLY downhill course. There will probably be short climbs thrown in to the timed section. Enduro differs by having multiple timed sections separated by climbs or lift assistance.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

mtbr member
    BTW the Bootleg Canyon events are supposed to be top shelf. He runs a lot of races out there and has the logistics down pat.

mtbr member
    So I figured I owe you guys an update.... The enduro went awesome.. Kept it on two wheels and had a blast. I ended up having to ride the open class and got 15th out of 23.... Not the best but could have gone worse. Now preparing for the super D next moth I have cardio on my mind.... I can see where xc dudes make up a lot of time on the climbs even if they are short.... Anyway... It was a ton of fun... Wayyyy mellow and I would encourage everyone to try it.... I have absolutely no intentions on racing anything other then enduro and super D... Thanks for the motivation and words of wisdom....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Do you have a link for this, it's something I want to do once I get home to Vegas

mtbr member
    Downhillmike.com and then the bootleg banzai.... I just raced again last week.... It was a blast...