The Riddler

First Season, Which Category?

Been riding a long time and typically a better descender than most in group rides and top ten on many local Strava segments. Going to give enduro racing a try and will not race pro at local events. One event I can enter though is an EWS qualifier. Should I enter that or do the amateur category? I hate dumbed down categories (race flyer says amateur does a different course) and don't mind getting my butt handed to me, but don't want to get in over my head either. Any thoughts?

Also, will be on a SC 5010 with 140/130 if that matters. Haven't found it to be a limiter yet but only have one lift day on it with only natural drops.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That's a tough question because the competition varies so wildly series to series. There are some series I can compete in the pro category, but when I race in BME races I'm lucky to be in the top 1/4 of the amateurs. There's also no way to know how fast you really are over the internet. Strava is a great way to gauge things, but if you're not getting KOMs on a regular basis I would stick with amateur. I think you'll be quite surprised how fast the riders are even in amateur.

If you're a skilled rider, I doubt you have to be worried about being over your head on the pro course. The real worry is getting in the way of the much faster pro riders. You don't want to be in a position where you're getting passed multiple times on stages.

No harm in starting out amateur and seeing where you stack up. Have fun! It's 100% addicting.

mtbr member
    If you're in Colorado amateur is basically pro...
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    ^ He speaks the truth

Hell, most places I've raced the top end of the amateur category can mix it up with the pros

I'm with stupid
    Depends on who is on strava in your local area. If you are getting to 10 on all the descents in colorado springs where fast pros like Dave Camp and Russel Finsterwald and about 10 other high level pros ride daily then sign up for pro. But if Billy bob joe dingle is your fastest guy that is not a NATIONAL level pro then sign up in the AM class. Some super fast guys in the BME type stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Depends on who is on strava in your local area. If you are getting to 10 on all the descents in colorado springs where fast pros like Dave Camp and Russel Finsterwald and about 10 other high level pros ride daily then sign up for pro. But if Billy bob joe dingle is your fastest guy that is not a NATIONAL level pro then sign up in the AM class. Some super fast guys in the BME type stuff.
    Billy bob joe dingle is definitely a legend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I would race expert if you want to ride the longer more technical runs. Generally beginner/sport do shorter or less runs and are bypassing the tough sections and drops.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by biggame35 View Post
    I would race expert if you want to ride the longer more technical runs. Generally beginner/sport do shorter or less runs and are bypassing the tough sections and drops.
    I would hate that race series. One thing I like about the BME and the other series I have done is that I got to race the same courses on the same day that Richie Rude and Cody Kelly race. I was signed up in the Vet 30 plus class. Talk about eating a big slice of humble pie. Those guys are on a whole other level. But it was nice to be able to ride all the same stuff...... just slower of course.