Fat on Willand Pond

Fear or No fear?

Been seriously considering entering the Overmountain Enduro at Highland this season. My main concern might just be my 5 inch travel bike. It also only has a 130mm fork but it does climb awesome. I've already had it down some of more mellow dh at highland and kept pace with my bros new Jekyll. I tend to attack the dh regardless of the bike I'm on so I'm thinking this particular east coast enduro will suit my riding style. Any enduro racers out there on a bike considered under-gunned by many but doing it successfully?
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just go out and have fun. Stage 1 and 2 last year were very pedally and would have no issues with that bike at all. Stage for was on part of shillelagh and part new single track cut through woods. A few steep techy sections there but nothing that bike couldn't handle. Stage 3 at the very top was super steep and techy where I could see that bike having an issue but I saw a guy using same amount of suspension as you doing it. Stage 3 was a new trail cut right next to ODB between it and the lift. It went down a steep rock garden so you can check it out if you want. I think they change the track every year but I only did that one and mountain creek on a stumpy evo 29er. I felt highland was more difficult than mtn creek but way more fun and run a lot better!!

mtbr member
    I rode the first OverMountain Enduro on my Kona Dawg (140mm front, 130mm rear). Other than poor tire choice for the conditions, the bike never felt too outgunned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There were a couple Hartail XC Racers at the China Peak Race of the California Enduro Series last year. They made it down just fine in fact that had pretty good times. You should be fine! GO Preride the trails and see how you feel.

Rock n' Roller
    While the bike helps, it's the rider that matters. I was riding the DH hills at my local mountain when a group of kids approached and told me that I shouldn't be riding those trails on my set up (130 front and rear). Strange...I had been riding those trails and loving every moment of it for years...and plan to for years to come. Don't listen to others - know your abilities and have fun! At the end of the day, we are all riding bikes down a mountain, aren't we?