mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Enduro Racing for Arkansas?

Would anyone be interested in bringing an Enduro series to Arkansas? There is some really good terrain there, and a growing bike community. I think it could sustain a series. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Where at in AR? I'm in NWA and we have some rock but I think the XC guys are much larger group. Have you heard about the Fat Tire Jamboree in Eureka Springs? They have an Enduro type event every year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    yeah ive heard of that, havent been to it though. I know the xc guys are a big group, but they are big in many places, I think it would be worth a try to offer another form of racing. As far as locations we could use eureka springs, devils den, parts of the womble/vista, petit jean state park, maybe slaughter pen, and iron mtn at degray.

mtbr member
    Slaughterpen would certainly be the most XC of the places named. The only enduro type race I know of in the area is the Slaughterpen Jam enduro. That is sponsored by Progressive Trail Design.

Here is a video of someone in it. Eureka Springs Fat Tire Festival 2013 - Super D - YouTube

I will be running it next year. I plan on using my Yelli Screamy.

Two Rivers bike park up in Nixa MO (Springfield, MO area) would be a great place to have an event too.

I think Eureka Springs is the only place that has the larger stuff to really be enduro-ish.. even then most of that section is more XC type.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ok, I havent been to slaughter pen yet, so i didnt know it was mainly xc. bummer. The closest place for enduro that I am aware of is New Mexico for the BME. So, I was hoping to find some closer terrain that could sustain a more southern enduro series. It would obviously be on a smaller scale than the BME and NAET type stuff, but still fun. I'd like to generate some interest for it and see if we can't scout some terrain that would work. Mt. Magazine has good elevation do they allow bikes? Even Petit Jean has decent elevation

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A little info and clarification. The Eureka Springs Fat Tire Fest has no similarity to an MTB enduro event as a whole. The Super D format used there this year would resemble one stage of an enduro race.

There likely may be an enduro event comprised of 4-5 stages in one day at Iron Mountain near Arkadelphia, AR during the weekend of the XC race in June 2014. I am doing the preliminary planning for that enduro event. Watch DLT Events website for more information, or you can contact me directly as I will be creating an Arkansas Enduro Series in the coming years. Kent kmwood@earthlink.net 321-223-5030

mtbr member
    ^^^^Keep us in the loop on that Kent, I'm VERY interested in an Enduro series here in AR........thanks!!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman_1970 View Post
    ^^^^Keep us in the loop on that Kent, I'm VERY interested in an Enduro series here in AR........thanks!!
    Agreed!!! Give me an excuse to the wife about how I need to build an enduro bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyman_1970 View Post
    I've put together a Facebook page where we can share information and upcoming calendars. Arkansas Enduro Series on Facebook.

The Arkansasenduro.com website is almost up and running.

We will post dates and details as soon as we can. Contact me here or at kent@arkansasenduro.com with any questions, comments, etc.

Thanks, Kent

mtbr member

Any updates??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Any updates??
    We have progress but no updates yet. Still investigating the best timing options, trails, and other logistics before a final date for the first Enduro event can be set. Appreciate your interest and don't hesitate to rely on the Arkansas Enduro Series facebook page for updates when available.

mtbr member

I'll check it out. I was chatting with a few guys about it last weekend and even if not participating they all agreed that enduro as a spectator would be 10 times better than an cx race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree. I've watched every bit of Enduro footage I can find over the past 12 months and there always seem to be spectators along the course, so much more than XC. With the best timing equipment the results can be posted real time also adding a huge spectator interest element to watch people's times competing for tight spots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Many people think of just using downhill predominant existing trails, but the essence of the sport includes introducing new, more technical trails that suit Enduro. Arkansas is in desperate need of good mtb technical trails. Enduro can bring better trails to Arkansas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sportident has a good timing system, SPORTident. It may have been used in the trans-provence but im not certain, it couldve just looked similar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Michael, I've looked at that one. The range of the receiver is limited. Not sure I like their method, but so far Sportident is my second choice. I have a webinar on another product tomorrow with the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Kent, what is the typical length of an enduro "section"?? How about total mileage over the course of a day?

I'm trying to think of what options we have around here.

I know of one great area with some amazing lines hidden 10ft off the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Enduro stages typically are covered by top level riders in a range from 2.5 minutes to up to and sometimes over 20 minutes. On the average though, worldwide, they tend to be 6-15 minutes in duration. The far end of the times spectrum used much less often. Terrain in Arkansas would likely dictate the averages to be 2.5 to 10 max from what I have ridden and the lack of higher elevations like other mountain ranges offer.

One of the main factors to keep in mind is that Enduro is supposed to be designed so that the all around rider that trains for the sport has the advantage over an XC or downhill rider, simply by the choice of the trails and the duration. I perceive the perfect enduro event with varied stages to eliminate the purely XC guy from the podium and the DH guy also from the podium. That statement will probably cause alot of debate, but a race that allows someone that is only DH for example to win would mean that the stages fit that rider more than the majority. We have enough DH and XC races, so to design stages that play in the favor of either discipline is not in the definition of what Enduro is intended to be.

banned
    Jan 2014
    How many DH courses are in AR? How many DH races in the state? There's just not that type of trails in AR, it's more of a XC state.

Please provide bathrooms at the top and bottum for both participents and spectators. People were pissing everywhere at the last Eurecka DH race. It smelled like a urinal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Inaugural Arkansas MTB Enduro race date set

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbarnard View Post
    Would anyone be interested in bringing an Enduro series to Arkansas? There is some really good terrain there, and a growing bike community. I think it could sustain a series. Any thoughts?

It is official. The inaugural Arkansas Enduro race will be held at Iron Mountain, Arkadelphia, Arkansas Sept 21, 2014. Go to Bikereg.com to register and follow our Facebook page (Arkansas Enduro Series) for updates, etc. 2014 will only have one race in preparation for a full series in 2015.

For additional information contact: kent@arkansasenduro.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Woo hoo! Very excited Kansan right here. Looks like BME Moab again, a few weeks to recover, and then the inaugural AR enduro!