mtbr member

Enduro with Passion

After reading the 23rd issue of IMB Issue 23 | IMB | Free Mountain Bike Magazine Online (If you're not subscribed to this free magazine yet, I recommend it 110% ) I was super inspired, more than ever, especially the article titled "Enduro Explained".

I've been riding and racing Enduros in Chile, South America for the last 3 years and the scene is pretty big here on the Andes, growing in momentum as the whole world is turning the page and leaning more and more towards the Enduro discipline.

In the article "Enduro Explained" was a phrase which stuck with me, changed my vision as a rider, increased my motivation and passion and makes me constantly think of how I can apply it when riding, improving my skill, enhancing my flow becomming one with the bike and terrain, all in harmony.

That phrase that is sticking in my head is: "A truly talented rider can ride fast without knowing what is ahead..."

The more I think of it the more I remember the past, my first ride and bike, the first jump we built with a brick and a plank jumping over 8 kids, the first camel ramp and table top on the open lot, each crash and each lesson learnt from them, each little piece of mechanical detail and change to parts to become more comfortable and how technology has evolved over the past almost 30 years of riding.

I share a link of one of the future Enduros we'll have here, planned for February 2014 which is high summer. The Enduro is called Andes Pacifico and will be held over 4 days, riding from the Andes to the Pacific ocean. After I watched the trailer on Youtube I had to go out and ride. Happy Trails Trailer Oficial del Andes Pacifico Montenbaik Enduro 2014 - YouTube
    Last edited by AndesJack; 05-10-2013 at 08:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Looks like a very cool race and the production value of that trailer was excellent. Only critique would be more riding and less landscape shots. If I am doing my math correctly there is 12K of descending on the first day alone? I was surprised there were very few rocky sections?

mtbr member
    Yes it's going to be Epic! I don't have daily details (yet) but in total each rider will descend roughly 33 000ft, climb around 9 900ft over 80 miles of trail, 43 miles being timed stages (DH) and 37 miles to get there (ususally within a specific time window and some with no time limit although these are usualy up to the event coordinator to determine a cutoff time for safety purposes). They have been using the Card Tag system worn around the wrist which provides the rider's times instantaneously and is perhaps one of the best on the market to get the times checked fast and effectively.

I agree on the rocky section part of your comment as the Andes has its fair share of gnarly rocky sections, fast lines with surprising drops in altitude when its least expected and slow technical terrain where brake controlled navigation and momentum become one. Tons of fun.

They also have 5 Enduro Races this year starting in June through December.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enduro with Passion-20130505_110718.jpg  

When in doubt, Accelerate!

mtbr member
    This was from last weekend. In the same vicinity from where the Feb 14 race will start from
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing this!
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What bikes are these riding? All Mountain? 26s or 29s? Thanks

mtbr member
    Pretty much AM full suspension bikes but they have a hard tail category too. The majority of bikes are between 140mm to 160mm in the rear and 150mm - 160mm in the front all of them being 26" or 27.5". Have seen only one racer on a Transition Covert 29'er 140mm and some guys preferring to beefing it up in the front with some 180mm Fox 36's.