Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    I'm interested in the Firebird as my next frame. I would probably add an adjustable headset to get a 66 degree instead of 67. It looks like such a sturdy and plush bike. I hear it isn't terribly snappy or reactive to input popping off jumps and the like. What's your experience?
    I'm not the best person to review bikes just because I haven't ridden enough to now how different styles ride. With that said, I could feel the difference in weight between the FB and DH bikes, in that it seemed to be easier to move around while going down over stuff, as opposed to plowing through stuff. One of the trails is called River Tr, because it rides right next to the river. It's basically flat but you can get moving at a decent speet. There are a few spots along the trail where there are slight water bar type jumps across the trail. It's basically flat so I was really pre-loading up for them and trying to pop off them. I know there was one it felt like I jumped way higher than I expected and was presently surprised. This area isn't much of a jumping type spot so there's not to much to say on that end.

I am tempted to add an angled headset also and take off a degree, but to be honest I went down one steep drop at a lower speed and never felt close to going OTB. It was one of those situations where your kinda like "crap crap crap crap.......ok that went alright"

Hopefully that helps. I personally couldn't find anything I didn't like about the bike so I'll probably be ordering one in a week. I would say definitely try to demo one, as that's really the only way. Basically I just wanted something I could ride down, but pedals better than my Glory, and this fits the bill for me, as well as some of the specs I wanted.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by jredling View Post
    Really, so far ive only heard good things about the evo. What did you not like about it?
    First I will not lie I am not a fan of FSR, the square edge bumps cause you to get hung up while climbing and can feel the pedal feedback really bad on the way down. So DW link wins off the bat. Also in the reviews you are reading are you reading them form XC guys that went AM/Enduro or DH guys that went enduro? There is a very big difference in the reviews you get.
    Coming off a enduro I test the SJ EVO and found it felt to "trail bikeish" Took a XC/Trail bike platform and slackend the headangle and sold it. I never felt when I demoed that bike that I could charge into things like with my enduro or sanction or the covert I tested. Felt like I was always wanting more confidence if things not nasty and steep that I was riding a lighter mini downhill bike. Which is super important, in the enduro world to me you are charging lines you have not seen before or maybe once or twice on a preride at almost if not DH bike speeds, you need to know if you pick a bad line or a drop was bigger then you thought or to flat that the bike will take it and ask for more. I never got that feeling with the SJ EVO just felt more like a XC racers "AM bike" not a real enduro style sled more of a Slack trail bike a "inbetweener" as my friends say, more on the xc side of enduro then the DH side. That said I am no pro by any means and to each their own, its all about riding bikes we line

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    ...I hear it isn't terribly snappy or reactive to input popping off jumps and the like. What's your experience?
    Farthest thing from the truth that I've read in a long time It's a really snapping and playful bike, and the DW platform makes it a quick accelerator out of the corners when you step on it
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Farthest thing from the truth that I've read in a long time It's a really snapping and playful bike, and the DW platform makes it a quick accelerator out of the corners when you step on it
    Ok, that's good to know. I got that feedback from someone who demoed one. One thing I like about my GT Sanction is that the i-Drive is snappy when you push it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2