mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Durango BME as first enduro?

Hey all. It turns out my wife & daughter are gonna be out of town next weekend which means I'm free to ride as much as possible...

I'm thinking of heading down to Durango for the BME but I don't know if I'd be getting in over my head. I've been mountain biking forever (since '88) and have done a fair bit of XC/endurance stuff (Breck Epic, Cascade Creampuff, Shenandoah 100, lots of local races in WA) but zero downhill/enduro.

I've got a Pivot 429 with set up pretty much stock but with beefier tires (Ardent front/Bronson rear).

The downhills in the Breck Epic were pretty much right in the middle of my comfort zone; with 1 exception I felt fast/comfortable on them. I'm not good on big drops or gaps or high bridges; indeed they scare the crap out of me.

Any thoughts? I love the idea of Enduro racing but don't want to end up doing something that's un-fun because of my lack of ability or equipment.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Airborne Flight Crew
    Durango will be different that the BME races you've probably read about so far. Don' think you'll see many/any gaps or drops. Some of the trails are pretty rugged, but totally doable.

I've ridden a lot of the trails there on a rigid SS;, your 429 should be a pretty sweet bike for that race. If you're relatively fit and don't mind climbing at elevation, you'll have a great time. The BME's are quality events with lots of great people.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard Ė website

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That is great to hear -- thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Go for it! Some sections of highly techy rocks, but certainly nothing you couldn't get off and walk. If you've ridden some of the more difficult trails in Moab, Grand Junction, Hartman's you'll be okay. Ride as hard and fast as your comfort level permits, meet some great people, and have a good time. The BME crew does a great job.