mtbr member
    Nov 2008

DIY race-how to do timing?

Hi
    I want to organise a gravity enduro race between mates and guests, i want to keep the the numbers quite low,;20- 50, i want the entry fees as low as possible if not free, i do not need to make any profit.
    Has anyone figured out how to do an unmanned timing system on a low budget?
    The only way i can see of doing it so far is having someone at the top and bottom recording times, problem is this will require at least 8 people.
    i want to have some kind of timing tags that i can take home and link into my pc later on and generate results. Like they use on the trans provence or on orientation races, i just cant find where i can buy these things cheap.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    some people live more in one minute than others do in a year
    Ride on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What about contacting the Trans-Provence guys and see what they use? Might seem like a long shot, but if they do get back to you (and I'm assuming they will) it'll at least give you someplace to start. I've often wondered the same thing myself so I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi,

You will find everything here: http://forums.mtbr.com/enduro-super-...ts-806959.html

Someone should work on an open source system based on Arduino...

Transprovence Rocks.

Stéph

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gautama108 View Post
    Hi,

You will find everything here: http://forums.mtbr.com/enduro-super-...ts-806959.html

Someone should work on an open source system based on Arduino...

Transprovence Rocks.

Stéph
    Thanks for link, a friend of mine done the trans provence and they rate it so highly, shame it cost so much, but guess you get what you pay for.
    Hopefully i can get my mates race figured out in the next month and get timing for 5 or 6 special stages
    some people live more in one minute than others do in a year
    Ride on!

mtbr member
    Depending on how accurate you want it you could just use Strava. Free on any smartphone and probably accurate to within 1 to 2 seconds. Otherwise you can rent timing devices, but they are not cheap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Depending on how accurate you want it you could just use Strava. Free on any smartphone and probably accurate to within 1 to 2 seconds. Otherwise you can rent timing devices, but they are not cheap.
    Strava doesn't always pick up on segments. I've got a regular route I ride and more than once it's not picked up the one climb as a segment on my ride. I've even pulled the gps file from my phone with My Tracks app and uploaded it and it's not recognised it as a segment. Not reliable enough.

mtbr member
    We did a race recently with about 20 fast dudes. We went out the day before, laid down some strava segments. When over the period of 3hrs rode the segments as fast as we could, ranging from a couple of minute segment upto quite long segments. Using Strava's fastest on the day function, we then used a spreadsheet to tally up the results to see who won the beer. Was quite fun between guys that know each other over years of racing. We made sure each segment started and finished in a tight section of track to help with Stravafail. There were a few possible stravagifts on some tracks but it worked out okay in the end.