mtbr member
    Mar 2008

DH Casing 29er tires

Could I please get some suggestions for super durable 29er tires for super rough rocky endure racing. thank you very much
    live to ride ride to live

Flow
    The ones I would recommend are Maxxis DHF 2.5 in the dh casing version, WTB tires with the enduro (now called "tough" version I think) casing, and the Michelin Wild Rockr 2. Schwalbe has the Supergravity Magic Mary available in 29" but I have put quite a few punctures in the tread where the tire is not as reinforced. I think the Supergravity casing Schwalbe tires have very tough/rigid sidewalls but are flimsy directly under the tread. My current favorite tire for rough enduro racing on mostly dry trails is the Michelin Wild Rockr2.

To me, the biggest indication of a tire's durability is its weight. Light tires are pretty much always less durable than heavy tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I need the protection throughout the whole tire not just sidewalls. Like you I get most of my punctures within the tread area also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Maxxis and maxxis.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Maxxis and maxxis.
    I think the DHF is currently the only 29er tire available with a DH casing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Went with the WTB Tough Casing

mtbr member
    Second the WTB TCS Tough tires. Been running the Vigilante/Trail Boss and loving it. I did just swap to a Magic Mary Super Gravity front, WTB Breakout rear. I think the super gravity will be just fine up front. It is thinner than the TCS, but seems pretty good.
    Losing just makes me faster.

Live Free & Ride
    I am also running th MM front and 2.5 Breakout rear. The big difference is that they are both the "light" casing version and on an XC bike. The front is 29 and the rear is 27.5 (high volume). Still the most amazing tire combo I have ever run for traction, and at about 900 grams each, durable enough for what I ride! Now back to the question....I'd go Maxxis as recommended.
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    The Specialized tires come in Grid casing which is also a great option

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I realize this will be unpopular, but I would stay away from most of the Maxxis 29er offerings. The 29" 2.5 dual ply DHF is a fantastic tire, but it's the only one offered with a real casing. I don't think the EXO sidewalls that come with most of the available offerings are durable enough options. They have have some tires with double down casing on their website, but good luck actually getting your hands on one.

I second the Specialized Grid though, had no issues with the Slaughter Grid in rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by babesquatch View Post
    I realize this will be unpopular, but I would stay away from most of the Maxxis 29er offerings. The 29" 2.5 dual ply DHF is a fantastic tire, but it's the only one offered with a real casing. I don't think the EXO sidewalls that come with most of the available offerings are durable enough options. They have have some tires with double down casing on their website, but good luck actually getting your hands on one.

I second the Specialized Grid though, had no issues with the Slaughter Grid in rear.
    I killed a Maxxis Minion SS EXO in the first 1/10 of a mile of riding. I know better than to let this happen, but unfortunately I could not find a Slaughter Grid 29 for the rear in time.

I'm with stupid
    I have killed pretty much every maxxis 29er tire with a puncture in the tread. I have not run the DH 29er version yet. I do really like the casing of the BUtcher/ Slaughter GRID. They remind me of the old SX models which were very tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by multitool View Post
    Could I please get some suggestions for super durable 29er tires for super rough rocky endure racing. thank you very much
    WTB Tough Casing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by multitool View Post
    I need the protection throughout the whole tire not just sidewalls. Like you I get most of my punctures within the tread area also.
    WTB Tough Casing tires, fully reinforced around the tire, if you blow one up you ****ed up. Its not just a piece of plastic bag in your sidewall like other options mentioned.

mtbr member
    Man, I want to like the Specialized tires but they mount up SO narrow!

This place needs an enema
    Maxxis DHF, WTB Tough, and Bontrager SE ("Super Enduro") casings.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    You guys need to try the E13'S. Those tires are the bomb. I run them on both my 27.5 and 29er when I ride, race the roughest of trails. You won't win any XC races on them but they will handle anything you smash them on and grip and brake better than the rest. I've been running the same set for a year without issues riding all over the southwest.

mtbr member
    Running an Agressor DD in the rear with cushcore from now on after blowing up an Aggressor DD on day 2 in my last race. Cushcore seems pretty legit so far.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    WTB Tough Casing are the best Enduro Tire in my opinion. Truely a tire you dont have to worry about failing. I have had good luck with the Specialized GRID Tires but I like the options in the WTB more. Socal Riding

mtbr member
    Grid, exo, DD, or tough casing doesn't not compare to a true DH casing tire just to clarify
    Front Range, Colorado

I'm with stupid
    Im running the Aggressor DD rear and a DHF maxx grip DH casing in the front. So far have been bomb proof. The WTB setup will be my next set up. My buddy really likes them and I used to love the OG Weirwolf in 26" many moons ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Michelin reinforced casings are pretty much indestructible, I ride like a mad man in really sharp rocky conditions and they are by far the most durable tires I've ever tried, except full on DH casings.
    99% sure that e-thirteen uses that exact same casing, so it should be a bit better if it's wet or damp compared to my Wild Rock'R2 set.