mtbr member

California Enduro Series #3 June 30 @ China Peak (Lakeshore, CA)

thinking about making the drive from the bay area to race at China Peak. seems like there's not a whole lot of info available about the race or the resort but it sounds fun and is one of relatively few "enduros" that is a reasonable driving distance from SF so I'd like to check it out. so is anyone else going/stoked about this race, been to China Peak before, raced either of the first two CES races?? how bout a little chatter?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I will be there. Here is the web site China Peak Enduro

mtbr member
    I know there's a cadre of really fast risers coming down from Marin. It looks like China peak might actually have some Technical tracks, but it'll depend on what the route entails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's only a few days away! We are headed out in the morning and looking forward to the pre-ride on Saturday to figure out all the little stuff! Racing at almost 10,000 ft is going to be a new experience for sure! From what I have heard the terrain is loose and they have the options to run some technical stuff too. Running a new bike (Bronson) that I have only been riding for about a week. Anyone else??

mtbr member
    So how is the racing?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

California Enduro Series #3 June 30 @ China Peak (Lakeshore, CA)

Any results from the race yet? Give us some news!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Super sick trails! Steep and rocky and filled with 8" of powder sugar!

Good race, unfortunately timing mishap lost times for half the stages, results based just on run #2 and #4.

SCB Ariel won, Ibis Kendal-Weed second, Ian Massey in there somewhere...

Good showing up there; good camping, good trails, good carnage.

mtbr member
    I can't believe they lost the results, that sucks! Too bad for me that stage 4 was one of the two that counted, I was feeling pretty quick through stage 3 but on 4 my chain jammed between my frame and chainring and I had to run across the finish, so I didn't wait around for results. pretty sweet trails, some fun steep rock chutes and the deep moondust definitely made it challenging to maintain speed through corners. The trails were tough on bikes, I had to replace my rear brake rotor after a rock strike in practice and I will now always travel with spare chain guide parts, but my chinese carbon rims survived a nasty rim strike on a huck to pointy rock landing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does anyone know where we can find pics from the race?
    I saw several photographers on course yesterday.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I don't think anything is posted yet, but check out calledtocreation.com

mtbr member
    Results are up on the cali enduro website. Really fun race overall. Gnarly, loose and fast. Timing issues seem to be the biggest challange for the enduro format. They all seem to have screwed up timing at one point or another. Once they are able to get a good and reliable timing system in place I think that this format is going to take off.

Norcal had an awesome showing, our van of Marin riders came home with several trophies

Evan Turpaen did an awesome job and put on a great event. i think that these races are just going to get better and better.
    aka Aa ron

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quick Race Report>>

This was definitely the best race so far! The weather could not have been better and the venue was great for this kind of even! The format was one big climb (Hike) at take off, followed by 2 timed downhills, then a small break and 2 lift access timed downhills. The terrain and trails were a perfect mix of fitness and bike handling, Really soft blown out turns and switch backs with some rock gardens and a high speed sections as well!

The courses were marked pretty well with few downed markers and little little confusion if you had pre-rode the courses on Saturday. Now for the not so smooth parts.... The 2nd and 3rd courses shared the same section of trail toward the bottom so that made for a long wait in the sun at the start of 3 (not so bad) and there was yet another timing error in which they lost 2 of the 4 course times so everything was based on Course 2 (bad for me as I blew past a turn off because of a downed course marker and had to circle back and a quick soil sample) and course 4 which was a clean run for me.

All in all it was a super good time, met some cool people and made a 4 day vacation out of it! I will definitely be back there to ride and race!

mtbr member
    anyone have the names of the other photographers up there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I can't believe they lost the results, that sucks! Too bad for me that stage 4 was one of the two that counted, I was feeling pretty quick through stage 3 but on 4 my chain jammed between my frame and chainring and I had to run across the finish, so I didn't wait around for results. pretty sweet trails, some fun steep rock chutes and the deep moondust definitely made it challenging to maintain speed through corners. The trails were tough on bikes, I had to replace my rear brake rotor after a rock strike in practice and I will now always travel with spare chain guide parts, but my chinese carbon rims survived a nasty rim strike on a huck to pointy rock landing!

My wife was telling me about your mechanical and how you were carrying your bike across the finish.. Nice follow through!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

mtbr member
    Jun 2008